Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Legal Discrimination Against Gays

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Koko Puff, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Koko Puff

Koko Puff IncGamers Member

Legal Discrimination Against Gays

BUSH ALLOWS GAYS TO BE FIRED FOR BEING ***

Despite President Bush's pledge that homosexuals "ought to have the
    same rights" (1) as all other people, his Administration this week ruled
    that homosexuals can now be fired from the federal workforce because of
    their sexual orientation.

According to the Federal Times, the president's appointee at the
    Office of Special Counsel ruled that federal employees will now "have no
    recourse if they are fired or demoted simply for being ***." (2) While the Bush
    Administration says it is legally prohibited from firing a person
    for their conduct, they have the legal right to fire or demote someone based
    on their sexual orientation. To carry out the directive, the White House has
    begun removing information from government websites about sexual
    orientation discrimination in the workplace. (3)

Not only does the new directive contradict the president's own
    promise to treat homosexuals as equals under the law, but it also contradicts
    what the Administration told Congress. As noted in a bipartisan letter from
    four Senators to the Administration, "During the confirmation process [of
    the president's appointee], you assured us that you were committed to
    protecting federal employees against unlawful discrimination related to their
    sexual orientation." (4)

Sources:
    1. Debates, 10/11/2000.
    2. "OSC to study whether bias law covers gays", Federal Times,
    03/15/2004, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1214585&l=23802.
    3. "*** Rights Information Taken Off Site", Washington Post,
    02/18/2004, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1214585&l=23803.
    4. "Special Counsel Under Scrutiny", Washington Post,
    02/23/2004, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1214585&l=23804.

You guys already know my views ... I'm a bloody *** democrat right? :D I'm more independent but meh ... :hugs a tree:

2. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

The "daily misleader", hmmm. :scratch:

3. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

2 links are broken and the third doesn't make mention of Bush.

4. Koko Puff

Koko Puff IncGamers Member

Hmm sorry about that. Nastie_Bowie - They redirect to articles in the Washington post. Sorry about that - let me go find new linkies.

5. MinasMorgul

MinasMorgul IncGamers Member

The Next thing Bush is Probably gonna do is Strip homosexuals of their voting rights so he can be re-elected. (Assuming this is true)

6. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

Not to support discrimination, but isn't hiring someone who's not as qualified as someone else punishment enough? All this regulation makes it harder to hire and fire people.

but it seems to me that if someone fires someone else or refuses to hire someone else because they're homosexual, then it's the manager/business owner who is the victim.

if the government says the manager has to hire them...but he secretly hates the homosexual, then the manager will reaps the benefits of having that person working for them, but the homosexual is stuck in a situation where they will be more disliked. hte situation will continually become more awkward for them. and eventually the manager will find something wrong enough with their prerformance to fire them anyway.

the only thing anti-discrimination laws do is breed hatred for the protected minority.

if people were free to do as they choose and make their own decisions i think you'd get your tolerance faster. many people would realize that they're falling behind because if they hate this minority or that minority they keep shrinking the number of prospective candidates.

we as a society should not force people to like each other...we can not force people to do what is right. When you mettle with teh system you put the minorities in a position that is NOT equal to the majority.

When afirmative action was in force there were issues with quotas and good candidates being turned away. the system was less fair than it was before. All this will do is create more animosity.

i still don't think we need a constitutional amendment either for or against *** marriage either, in fact in an old thread i had a great idea that would let gays marry without irritating the conservatives. So I'm not a big ***-basher...I just don't think the governemnt should be mettling in such things.

7. Good-At-Trading

Good-At-Trading Banned

Bush is truely an *******. What gives him the right to bend the rules of the constitution. **** religion! Who cares if the bible is against *** marriages? The constitution that America is based on gives every man and woman equal rights. Bush is abusing his power and I guaruntee not a single *** or Lesbian will give him a vote. As much as it distresses me to say this...vote for Kerry!

8. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

NOT TRUE. 100% absolutely false.

9. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Bush is a bloody ******. What's next, allowing people to be fired because of their race? I can't believe the American people elected such a bigot to the throne.

10. cleanupguy

cleanupguy IncGamers Member

Oh, I see. :idea: We should just then separate all the blacks from the white. How dare are these black people wanting to attend the same school where white kids are studying. While we are at it, cram all the yellow people into a little concentration camp, forcing them to work in a mine. Open the gate and release the hounds in search of all the people wearing turbans because they are terrorists. Such an insightful statement!! :thumbsup: You go you.. such a bright mind for the future.

11. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

cleanupguy:

Really though, who cares if they are kept separate? Does it really matter? I mean, wouldnt it be better for everyone, less conflict and such, if they were separated? I mean, sure, it should be equal, but hey, that shouldnt be too hard. I would support something like that.

12. cleanupguy

cleanupguy IncGamers Member

Sure. I call California. Let the other races leave California. I called it first.

13. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

So if a *** employer fired all of his heterosexual employees, you would be totally okay with that?

14. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Homosexuality has seemingly just not attained protected status in America yet. It will get there, but until it does, it is not seen as equivalent with race, sex, or religious affiliation.

15. Technetium

Technetium IncGamers Member

I mostly agree with Stevinator, except I disagree when it relates to government institutions. Private businesses and individuals should be allowed to discriminate all they want, but the government should be obligated to represent the population demographics as long as doing so does not hinder their ability to function. By default, the government is there for everyone, so discrimination by the government cannot be allowed.

16. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

My daughter had a 4.0 gpa, and was turned down by UC.., in "89 as the quota of "anglos" was filled.

Unless you are christian caucasion, what you say is true.

17. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

Common Misconception #1: Thinking that federal affirmative action has anything to do with collegiate demographic quotas.

18. Hippie Holocost

Hippie Holocost IncGamers Member

Yup, it would be stupid of him to do, but his choice none the less.

As far as civil service jobs go, the government is obligated to protect its people, not provide jobs for everyone based on what race, sex, whatthehelleva they are. This is why gays aren't allowed in the military, and women aren't allowed to be on the front lines. Having the correct demographic repersented isn't always the most effective combination of people.

And Munch, Affirmative action does hurt whites who are qualified. In 92 my dad didn't get a management job because Mobil Oil was filling their quota. Later they had to fire the woman that got the job because she was so underqualified.

19. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

Way to buy the credibility of the stories hook line and sinker. Makes it easier to hate Bush when you assume all the negativity about him is true.

I haven't read the articles so I can't comment on their truth but it does seem a tad much to believe everything a media outlet writes about a political leader.

20. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

Bzzt, wrong again. I doubt with 95% certainty that Mobil wasn't "filling a quota". Nor were there gender quotas under affirmative action. Additionally, two people of vastly different talents and abilities can have the exact same qualifications - I highly doubt that your dad had better qualifications on paper at the time of the interview.

Finally, one example is not the rule.