Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Leftover Summoner Skill Points!?!?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by kohlman, Oct 12, 2006.

1. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

Leftover Summoner Skill Points!?!?

I wanted to make a necromancer and have a decently powered build that wasnt uber expensive. i havent made a summoner necro since the old days where 1 point = 1 skeleton and they were pitiful past normal so i thought that the summoner path was a bad idea. Well I heard a rumor about summoners being able to tank anything and that perked my interest. After finding the Fishymancer guide i decided that was my build. So I followed it as much as possible and at one time had a trangs set but now I am using a little different setup (Enigma, Hoto, Homoncu, etc.) and I am thoroughly enjoying the build. My only problem is that I ran out of things to put skills into about 10 levels ago and I am at level 82. I have the following skills:

20 Corpse Explosion
    20 Raise Skeleton
    20 Skeleton Mastery
    1 all curses
    1 Clay Golem
    1 Blood Golem(Prerequisite)
    1 Iron Golem
    1 Golem Mastery
    1 Summon Resist
    1 Skeleton Mage
    1 Revive
    1 Teeth (Prerequisite)

thats roughly 75-78 skills and we all know that it is very easy to get to level 80-85 with a character.

The big question is, what do I do with the remaining skill points? Decrepify works fine except for its small coverage area (which doesnt seem to go up with points added) and amplify already covers the entire screen and lasts long enough for anything cursed to die. Does anyone have any idea on where to spend my last dozen or so skill points?

Thanks for any help.

2. Likwid

Likwid IncGamers Member

What golem do you use? maybe put some points towards golem mastery and your golem of choice. Bone armor is a good place to spend a point too.

3. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

I am using clay golem and he currently has about 8k life and seems to almost never die. Ill slap a point into Bone armor. Good thinking, that leaves me with 11 points =) I heard that the synergies add more to the strength of Bone Armor than actual hard points into Bone Armor. Can anyone second me or correct me on that?

4. OmegaHatred

OmegaHatred IncGamers Member

I have the same problem, but what I did was maxed skele mages...they do awesome dmg even in hell. Plus more meat shields to protect you.

5. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

Does it say what their damage is or is there a way to calculate their damage?

Another way to go that I am thinking of is Maxing Clay Golem and Golem Mastery because of the insane life they get. I am thinking of using it as a joke in duel games, espescially in the lower levels. Letting them try to kill it as they are only moving at 30% normal speed =)

I will definately consider putting the points into mages.

6. Mikk0

Mikk0 IncGamers Member

golems hardly ever die and +skills up your golem nice enugh..

and eventualy you might (or you have alredy) get enigma.. then the mages will work out great cause you alredy got maxed mastery for them.

just my 2cents

7. Kirah

Kirah IncGamers Member

My vote is to up your mages, they rock! Some people like to max dim vision to blind everything all over the place (on screen and even a bit off screen). Some like to max golem mastery (better golems). Heck, I'm in the same shoes as you and I'm like 82 level with like a dozen points left over and not sure what to dump them into. A friend of mine, put a point into bone armor and put hard points into bone wall / bone cage to give more defensive absorb.

Let me know what you've decided.

good luck and good hunting!
    Kirah

8. Josiphos

Josiphos IncGamers Member

I have a l ** fishy now. Max mages, max skellies, 1 pt in clay, and iron gol. 1 point in bone armor, bone wall and bone prison. I'm slowly maxing corpse explosion (around 10 pts invested now) just because its the best area affect spell in the game (IMHO).

If I was going to remake mine, I'd not put any points in blood or iron golem. Iron golem is cool and you can make him out of otherwise useless items (IK maul!) but clay is sooo much better. Just try fighting baal with iron golem and then try it with clay...clay wins hands down. Toss a decrep on him and have some cold mages...he barely moves.

I second the opinion that mages rock. They hardly ever die and are basically immune to their element = lots of protection for you.

I personally use a beast ettin axe on mine. Its about the best weapon for a fishy. Expensive, but the overall bonus to your horde (and merc)is amazing. Just for overkill my merc wears bramble and uses a pride polearm...which makes the army into a steamroller. Beast DOES make the mages toss faster, since its not a casting but a "throwing".

Good luck.

9. Mikk0

Mikk0 IncGamers Member

jsut out of curiosity, what have you maxed so far? you seem to have awful lot skillpts to spare compared to me. im 92 and 5 pts remaining :rolleyes:

max mastery
    max skellies
    max mages
    1 pt in every other summon

max ce

1 pt in every curse

BTW: still havent decided what to do with the rest (dumped 1 pt into fire golem just for the heck of it)

10. Kirah

Kirah IncGamers Member

Hey Mikk,
    I maxxed summon skellies, summon mages, skellie mastery and then did all the one pointers (gumby, golem mastery, curses, yada yada). I didn't max CE because I feel that I have enough +skillers to provide an adequate area of effect. That's why I've got extra points left over. Believe it or not my CE is a decent radius, but I'm too lazy to cast it much. (I know, I know, I'm really a bad necro..., well... actually I'm just really, really lazy). While my skellies are destroying everything around me, I'm busy looking at the treasure drops and goofing around. My necro spends a great deal of time just trimming his nails and standing around whistling mindless tunes. I'd rather cast fireballs, meteors, and firewalls (but yes, I will cast amp dam or decrep occassionally). Believe it or not after casting decrep, the fireballs and meteors actually does some damage to the big B. I've also decided to use the Act 1 rogue that was handed to me after doing the quest. I did the bramble / edge thingy. The stacked thorn auras I find very amusing. Besides the Edge bows are cheap.
    If you have +2 skill items on a Rogue with the thorn auras does it add +2 to each aura or just +2 to the overall aura? Hm... I'll have to look into that.

sorry for the long winded post, good luck and good hunting!
    Kirah

11. zenithsmith

zenithsmith IncGamers Member

Only if you don't need a point in revive and who needs those extra big undars now and then.......:scratch:

12. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

+2 skills will not add to auras granted by items.

i'm being very conservative with my fishy at the moment skill point wise.

max skellys, mages, mastery, 1 in all other summons except fire golem (ugh... weak).

1 in corpse explosion so far.

1 in all curses except confuse, attract, lower resist. I don't need them.

He's at level 67 now, in NM, haven't done all of the skilll quests yet. I figure i'll end up with 20-30 skill points saved by level 90, with no reduced killing speed. BTW skellys are slvl 32 so far, they have a listed damage of ~370-380, they eat EVERYTHING in NM.

oh, and enigma roxxorz. skelly mages + minion stack = SUPER MAGE CANNON. That's where all mages shoot at the same time at the same enemy, when they're all stacked on top of each other when you teleport. It does huge damage when you've got 12-15 mages' spells hitting all at once.

Here's where you work out how much damage your magi do, according to AS's fancy graph and relative skill level equation.
    http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/necromancer-summoning.shtml#skeletalmage .

13. Kirah

Kirah IncGamers Member

14. Mikk0

Mikk0 IncGamers Member

15. Kirah

Kirah IncGamers Member

Yeah, but dude... The fishy is such a flexible build. How many other characters have points left over and still can run over everything in hell? My other characters need every skill point in order to survive. With a fishy, I can run around and let my skellies destroy everything in sight. Amazing!

cheers,
    Kirah

16. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

Im thinking about pumping my clay golems life to see how much life he has and to let people duel it for fun. I think it would be funny to watch people spending so much time on it when they are attacking so slow.

Then again I might go for the mages because I like the ability to have more than one form of damage, even if I do have amplify damage.

17. Kirah

Kirah IncGamers Member

Kohlman,

Now that's an unique use for the clay golem! So you'd max golem mastery and then let people use it as a punching bag!?! Funny!!!

Actually, I'd still recommend going mages. Additional method of damage, if you have enigma you can do Mage Cannon, more meat shields, plus it just looks cool to have massive amounts of summons around your necro!

Good luck and good hunting!
    Kirah

18. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

But won't the mages get in the way of the other skeletons, so that your damage output will decrease?

19. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

20. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

I might go with the mages. They seem a little more viable with their prevent monster heal and cold damage. Although it would be funny to see a golem with over 40k life and 65 Resist All with a decent level of Battle Orders. It would take them a long time to kill him because of the massive life and the slow affect :grin:

I have been thinking: since Corpse Explosion is half Physical Damage and half Fire Damage, Lower Resist does the same thing as Ampliy Damage, just to a lesser effect. IIRC, at level 20 (1 point plus equipment), Lower Resist lowers enemies resistances by 62%. So by using Lower Resist, your mages do better damage, all of them do damage except versus the hardiest of immunes, and your skellies still do their substantial damage on their own. All the while Corpse Explosion is still magnified to a moderate level.

Is this a decent method of killing or would Amplify Damage be better because of the 100% physical damage increase and most of the damage comes from the skellies anyways?

P.S. Max Corpse Explosion is AWESOME!! Especially in cow levels :thumbsup: