Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Left vs. Right or Right vs. Wrong?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Freemason, Jun 6, 2005.

?

Do you prefer a hard or soft toilet seat?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2006.
  1. Soft

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Hard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Don't need one, I squat in the woods

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. OTF Default Option

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Left vs. Right or Right vs. Wrong?

Put the issue of whether or not marijuana should be legal. The politics over it are irrelevant. Let's argue over the substance of the debate itself.

Is it a debate that is left vs. right or is it a right vs. wrong debate?

2. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

I wish it was right vs wrong at least.
    In Sweden, we dont really have that debate, but I guess its bigger elsewhere :)
    Unfortunately, many issues that should be kept "right vs wrong" are turned into pure political issues, where the parties seem to miss the main issue too often. Its a shame really, makes one wonder where, or even, to what humanity is turning. It sure ain't for the better...
    Which country are you currently referring to?

3. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Right vs. wrong isn't limited to geopolitical boundries. I'm talking about anywhere and everywhere.

4. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

the right is not necessarily right in right vs wrong? right?

:cheesy:

Rik

5. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

what do you mean by left vs right?

6. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

You forgot to include the other option - neither.

Garbad

7. SelfBaisResistor

SelfBaisResistor IncGamers Member

Only the Sith deal in absolutes! Haven't we learned anything from Episode 3 yet?

8. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

looks like we are surronded by the dark side SBR :eek:

9. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Which hand people favor.

We all know those lefties are evil bastards.

10. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

this topic is too confusing for me :drool:

11. axeil

axeil IncGamers Member

One man's iniquity is another's enlightenment.

12. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Is this thread about the pot issue specifically? Freemason tends to mangle the English language and I can't always understand his Idahoese. :teeth:

If it is about the pot issue, I think it's a right/wrong issue. This is clear from the fact that you have the "conservatives" arguing with themselves over it . . . Some of them (the SC dissenters, for instance) feel that the national government doesn't need to be involved in this issue, and others (the social conservatives) are going to play the same old "gateway drug" and "think of the children" and "I hate homosexuals" (trust me, it always comes into the picture when these people are making the argument) cards that they always do.

13. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Durf, you are aware that "smoking pot" is a euphenism among the gay community for man on man anal sex, right?

14. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Oh man, I smoked a lot of pot last night, if you know what I mean.

15. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

it is not. is it?

Smeg. I don't see most issues as left vs. right, but up vs. down. More and more americans are turning to the government to solve their problems, on the right and the left. Government is expanding into areas it doesn't belong. both sides perpetrate this move, and you just happen to agree with one side. what you're missing is when (and I pick on you only because you started the thread) is when you get in the way of other's lives by telling them who they can marry and who they must pledge to, you're committing the same atrocities that the left is when they take my money and give it to the unemployed, or worse, the unemployable. when the heap tax credits on those that make poor decisions, when they impose unduly harsh restrictions on business. Both sides are at major fault here.

So maybe all issues are right vs. wrong. not that I like that terminology. how about most issues are about

freedom, liberty and responsibility vs. paternalism & totalitarianism, authoritarianism, and usually, BS.

Does that answer your question?

16. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Hah, forget all of that.

How about this one for ya--I think that it should be up to...drumroll please! the STATE! No, not the federal state. Each and every individual one of those 50 states. Remember back when they actually had power over their own laws? They could pass laws, enforce laws, and (imagine this!) even have different policies on issues based on their own individual situations and constituencies!

Wow! What happened to that, you ask? Well, lately, we've been watching the GOP, the "small government" party, determine that our personal safety just isn't being taken care of by the states--and by personal safety, I mean our moral and spiritual safety--and instead we need a federal government to guide us and tell us what is wrong and what is right.

After all, how would we protect ourselves from being somehow bamboozled into "smoking pot" only to find ourselves in the midst of man on man action? My goodness! Thank god for the government on this one! No wonder all those gay people have AIDS, they're all smoking pot for medical reasons! What insane doctors are prescribing anal sex to HIV positive patients??

Bah. Why do we even bother with the State governments anymore? No one even realizes that in theory they're supposed to be the ones dealing with laws like this.

17. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Sign me up, baby. I dual boot. Either way it shouldn't be the government's business.

18. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

That's it, we're through, I just can't stand the others!

Hah! You only give me "hah!"? Not even a real one liner, it's like a one worder. That hurts man.

true very true, but the right doesn't have a monopoly on paternalism. If the right ran everything years ago there wouldn't likely be any social security to worry about. I owuld have the freedom to invest in my own retirement. and i would have the option of making it as secure or risky as i deemed necessary. Both parties support government encroachment on our rights freedoms and responsibilities--they just encroach in different spheres of our lives.

THat made no sense, so I'm just going to say "hah".

19. festers50

festers50 IncGamers Member

I must be too stoned, I didn't see the poing/beer/boobies/blame Durf option :flip:

20. DaviddeJong

DaviddeJong IncGamers Member

Pot should be legalized. It's not very healthy, but it's up to people to decide whether or not to use it, just like with alcohol and sigarettes. Scientists are not really sure, but it doesn't really seem to screw you up in the long-term (although some say it increases the risk of scizofrenia (sp?))

Here in Holland we had a manifestation yesterday that went a bit further; it was a drugs-legalization rally. They wanted to legalize every drug you can imagine.... I think that's taking it too far: If drugs are f-ed up, they shouldn't be allowed.

David.