Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

least common builds for necromancers?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Krazy_Solo, May 4, 2005.

1. Krazy_Solo

Krazy_Solo Diabloii.Net Member

least common builds for necromancers?

What are some uncommon non cookie cutter builds? looking for something unique to do rather than blowing my way through the game :D.

2. Beneathnoise

Beneathnoise Diabloii.Net Member

mojomancer is something not usually seen. there are guides for it, but i;ve never personally seen one.

not sure what else.

lol. i guess a build BASED around golems might be pretty nonstandard. dunno.

3. waflob

waflob Diabloii.Net Member

As I see it, there are really three common necro builds: summoner, boner and poisoner. Each generally puts one point in each curse, grabs a gumby and maxes out the skills for the build. There arent enough skills to max out more than one route, but if you want a slightly better challenge, try combining two of these types, into a hybrid necro. A summoner / poisoner is a good one to try.

Or, go melee and be a daggermancer. Not easy, but you're not looking for easy, are you ?

Have fun

DelBoy

4. corax

corax Diabloii.Net Member

meleemancer, uses a weapon to crush foes, uses decrep, attract and a golem to keep foes in check. go 2 handed for ltos of killy fun.

bowmancer, throw on a bow and fire at things. use in conjunction with bonewall/prison and throw on ALOT of psn damage.

Mojomancer, beats the games using only curses.

dentist, bonemancer who uses teeth primarily.

daggermancer, throw on a dagger, max our psn skills n go stabbing.

lord of mages, similar to a skellie mancer but uses mages instead of warriors and lower res instead of amp.

returnomancer, max IM, get a thorns merc and a max iron golem and let monsters k33l themselves. you'll need a way to kill ranged/elemental attacker. this is an interesting skelliemancer variant.

5. batuchka

batuchka Diabloii.Net Member

Hmm corax : i am kindda interested in a Returnomancer :D Would a slvl 30 Iron Maiden and say a slvl 15 thorns aura from a rogue merc using Edge bow be enuff to generate corpses in Hell? This build could also incorporate mages/lower resist then? Also instead of IG could gumby be the golem of choice with just a point in it and golem mastery..or even FG? I was thinking of this template :

Max Raise Skelly
    Max Skelly Mastery
    Max Mages
    Max Iron Maiden
    5-10 Lower Resist
    pts into DV/Attract for ranged attackers?

Merc: Edge Act 1 Rogue Merc.

Perhaps have as many minions as possible so they are walking dartboards for monsetrs to kill themselves on?

6. Tib

Tib Diabloii.Net Member

tee hee hee. Look up "Iggys_Mojo". It's an Iron Golumn-based Mojomancer. LOTS of fun! When iggy starts dying, I'm screwed though :( can't always have enough metal items in inv :( Regardless, tons of fun!

7. Gix

Gix Diabloii.Net Member

That build isn't really unique. It's basically just a Summoner with max Iron Maiden. I would go more for:

Max Iron Maiden
    Max Iron Golem
    10-20 CE
    1+ Revive
    1+ Golem Mastery

Act 5 Merc w/ Bramble (great tank from what I hear)

The question is how are you going to kill casters.

8. corax

thats a rather standard build. and would pretty much breeze through the game.
    Gix's setup is a good one.

Personally i like the idea of:

max iron maiden
    golem of choice( 1 pnt gumby or max iron. with 1 golem mastery n summon res.)
    20 skellie mastery
    20 skellie mages
    1 LR.
    add CE to taste.

fire Rogue merc with edge/bramble combo would be cool. max lvl 36 thorns if i get my figuring right. im not a bnetter.

mages provide a little extra protection and make another way to kill anything that isnt a physical meleer.

or:
    max IM
    Max Bonewall
    golem of choice(1 gmby, 20 iron. with 1 golem mastery n summon res.)
    5-10 decrep.
    throw on marrowwalks and become a returnomeleemancer.

merc of choice would be either the same rogue as above OR a might merc with bramble. :D

another thought:
    max iron maiden.
    get a golem(see above)
    max psn skills

grab a dagger, throw on bramble yourself and get stabby. merc choice is up to you.

9. waflob

waflob Diabloii.Net Member

just one point worth mentioning in all the IM / thorns ...
    This won't work with ranged attackers.

10. corax

thought i mentioned that? ah well. its more obvious now which can never hurt.

curse y'all. now ive gone and had to create a returnomancer of my own :mad: haven't though of exact skill layout yet. but should be alot of fun.

11. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Matador, Corax. It is called a Matador by Patsy.

12. corax

that sounds far far cooler

13. Damric

Damric Diabloii.Net Member

If you use a rogue merc with edge/bramble for huge thorns aura, would it be better to use max iron maiden or to just use amplify damage? I did have this combo before but I was amping because I had only 1 point iron maiden and it worked ok.

14. leddan

leddan Diabloii.Net Member

I use a similar build on one of my necros. Except I use Bramble on my might merc instead of an act 1 merc with Edge. You cna also add in a "Doom" or "Pride" runeword weapon for him for another added aura. Works great vs those pesky meelee [email protected] No Dim Vision or attract on mine. With enigma I just teleport my minions to where I want them vs ranged attackers.

I also like my Fartmancer (Maxxed poison skills) with a fairly effective secondary attack with bone spirit (Thanks to Blizzard for never fixing the Marrowalk bug or IBS). I added 1 point to revives for meat shields when needed & Gumby to slow things also. 1 point in Lower resists & corpse explosion to help when needed (+ skill items makes these still effective). Granted the spirit is slower than spear, but you gotta be in close range anyways to hit with nova.

15. corax

ok let's say the monster does 100 dmg all the time(for ease of calc's) n has no physical resist. and the rogue merc got a max thorns bramble so lvl 36 thorns (1650 dmg return)

If i know what i' doing(doubtful) it should be 100 x 16.5 = 1650. with amp it'd be doubled too = 3300.

lvl 30 IM doing 925 dmg return. 1650 + 925 = 2575 dmg return for every hundred dmg done.

so yup. it would seem that amp would be more effective. atleast thats how i figure it(n00b at calcs).

@leddan: Doom is a bad idea if your relying on monsters to k33l themselves using IM/thorns. the HF slows them so slows your k33l rate.

16. leddan

leddan Diabloii.Net Member

Well, you still have your army whipping on them fairly uickly without the thorns & im. Just listing options. It also helps in pvp.

17. Pherdnut

Pherdnut Diabloii.Net Member

With any aura-based return build (Bramble + Edge), it's much better to use amp damage than Iron Maiden.

I'm working on a Titan Obedience Splatmancer build but it's kind of slow going. I'm kind of waiting until I get my hands on a Lo rune for Fortitude and getting reasonably good IAS has been tricky.