least common builds for necromancers?

Krazy_Solo

Diabloii.Net Member
least common builds for necromancers?

What are some uncommon non cookie cutter builds? looking for something unique to do rather than blowing my way through the game :D.

Beneathnoise

Diabloii.Net Member
Krazy_Solo said:
What are some uncommon non cookie cutter builds? looking for something unique to do rather than blowing my way through the game :D.
mojomancer is something not usually seen. there are guides for it, but i;ve never personally seen one.

not sure what else.

lol. i guess a build BASED around golems might be pretty nonstandard. dunno.

waflob

Diabloii.Net Member
Krazy_Solo said:
As I see it, there are really three common necro builds: summoner, boner and poisoner. Each generally puts one point in each curse, grabs a gumby and maxes out the skills for the build. There arent enough skills to max out more than one route, but if you want a slightly better challenge, try combining two of these types, into a hybrid necro. A summoner / poisoner is a good one to try.

Or, go melee and be a daggermancer. Not easy, but you're not looking for easy, are you ?

Have fun

DelBoy

corax

Diabloii.Net Member
meleemancer, uses a weapon to crush foes, uses decrep, attract and a golem to keep foes in check. go 2 handed for ltos of killy fun.

bowmancer, throw on a bow and fire at things. use in conjunction with bonewall/prison and throw on ALOT of psn damage.

Mojomancer, beats the games using only curses.

dentist, bonemancer who uses teeth primarily.

daggermancer, throw on a dagger, max our psn skills n go stabbing.

lord of mages, similar to a skellie mancer but uses mages instead of warriors and lower res instead of amp.

returnomancer, max IM, get a thorns merc and a max iron golem and let monsters k33l themselves. you'll need a way to kill ranged/elemental attacker. this is an interesting skelliemancer variant.

batuchka

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmm corax : i am kindda interested in a Returnomancer :D Would a slvl 30 Iron Maiden and say a slvl 15 thorns aura from a rogue merc using Edge bow be enuff to generate corpses in Hell? This build could also incorporate mages/lower resist then? Also instead of IG could gumby be the golem of choice with just a point in it and golem mastery..or even FG? I was thinking of this template :

Max Raise Skelly
Max Skelly Mastery
Max Mages
Max Iron Maiden
5-10 Lower Resist
pts into DV/Attract for ranged attackers?

Merc: Edge Act 1 Rogue Merc.

Perhaps have as many minions as possible so they are walking dartboards for monsetrs to kill themselves on?

Tib

Diabloii.Net Member
Beneathnoise said:
mojomancer is something not usually seen. there are guides for it, but i;ve never personally seen one.

not sure what else.

lol. i guess a build BASED around golems might be pretty nonstandard. dunno.
tee hee hee. Look up "Iggys_Mojo". It's an Iron Golumn-based Mojomancer. LOTS of fun! When iggy starts dying, I'm screwed though :( can't always have enough metal items in inv :( Regardless, tons of fun!

Gix

Diabloii.Net Member
batuchka said:
Max Raise Skelly
Max Skelly Mastery
Max Mages
Max Iron Maiden
5-10 Lower Resist
That build isn't really unique. It's basically just a Summoner with max Iron Maiden. I would go more for:

Max Iron Maiden
Max Iron Golem
10-20 CE
1+ Revive
1+ Golem Mastery

Act 5 Merc w/ Bramble (great tank from what I hear)

The question is how are you going to kill casters.

corax

Diabloii.Net Member
batuchka said:
Max Raise Skelly
Max Skelly Mastery
Max Mages
Max Iron Maiden
5-10 Lower Resist

thats a rather standard build. and would pretty much breeze through the game.
Gix's setup is a good one.

Personally i like the idea of:

max iron maiden
golem of choice( 1 pnt gumby or max iron. with 1 golem mastery n summon res.)
20 skellie mastery
20 skellie mages
1 LR.
add CE to taste.

fire Rogue merc with edge/bramble combo would be cool. max lvl 36 thorns if i get my figuring right. im not a bnetter.

mages provide a little extra protection and make another way to kill anything that isnt a physical meleer.

or:
max IM
Max Bonewall
golem of choice(1 gmby, 20 iron. with 1 golem mastery n summon res.)
5-10 decrep.
throw on marrowwalks and become a returnomeleemancer.

merc of choice would be either the same rogue as above OR a might merc with bramble. :D

another thought:
max iron maiden.
get a golem(see above)
max psn skills

grab a dagger, throw on bramble yourself and get stabby. merc choice is up to you.

waflob

Diabloii.Net Member
just one point worth mentioning in all the IM / thorns ...
This won't work with ranged attackers.

corax

Diabloii.Net Member
waflob said:
just one point worth mentioning in all the IM / thorns ...
This won't work with ranged attackers.
thought i mentioned that? ah well. its more obvious now which can never hurt.

curse y'all. now ive gone and had to create a returnomancer of my own :mad: haven't though of exact skill layout yet. but should be alot of fun.

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator
corax said:
now ive gone and had to create a returnomancer of my own :mad: haven't though of exact skill layout yet.
Matador, Corax. It is called a Matador by Patsy.

Damric

Diabloii.Net Member
If you use a rogue merc with edge/bramble for huge thorns aura, would it be better to use max iron maiden or to just use amplify damage? I did have this combo before but I was amping because I had only 1 point iron maiden and it worked ok.

leddan

Diabloii.Net Member
batuchka said:
Hmm corax : i am kindda interested in a Returnomancer :D Would a slvl 30 Iron Maiden and say a slvl 15 thorns aura from a rogue merc using Edge bow be enuff to generate corpses in Hell? This build could also incorporate mages/lower resist then? Also instead of IG could gumby be the golem of choice with just a point in it and golem mastery..or even FG? I was thinking of this template :

Max Raise Skelly
Max Skelly Mastery
Max Mages
Max Iron Maiden
5-10 Lower Resist

Perhaps have as many minions as possible so they are walking dartboards for monsetrs to kill themselves on?

I use a similar build on one of my necros. Except I use Bramble on my might merc instead of an act 1 merc with Edge. You cna also add in a "Doom" or "Pride" runeword weapon for him for another added aura. Works great vs those pesky meelee [email protected] No Dim Vision or attract on mine. With enigma I just teleport my minions to where I want them vs ranged attackers.

I also like my Fartmancer (Maxxed poison skills) with a fairly effective secondary attack with bone spirit (Thanks to Blizzard for never fixing the Marrowalk bug or IBS). I added 1 point to revives for meat shields when needed & Gumby to slow things also. 1 point in Lower resists & corpse explosion to help when needed (+ skill items makes these still effective). Granted the spirit is slower than spear, but you gotta be in close range anyways to hit with nova.

corax

Diabloii.Net Member
Damric said:
If you use a rogue merc with edge/bramble for huge thorns aura, would it be better to use max iron maiden or to just use amplify damage? I did have this combo before but I was amping because I had only 1 point iron maiden and it worked ok.
ok let's say the monster does 100 dmg all the time(for ease of calc's) n has no physical resist. and the rogue merc got a max thorns bramble so lvl 36 thorns (1650 dmg return)

If i know what i' doing(doubtful) it should be 100 x 16.5 = 1650. with amp it'd be doubled too = 3300.

lvl 30 IM doing 925 dmg return. 1650 + 925 = 2575 dmg return for every hundred dmg done.

so yup. it would seem that amp would be more effective. atleast thats how i figure it(n00b at calcs).

@leddan: Doom is a bad idea if your relying on monsters to k33l themselves using IM/thorns. the HF slows them so slows your k33l rate.

leddan

Diabloii.Net Member
corax said:
@leddan: Doom is a bad idea if your relying on monsters to k33l themselves using IM/thorns. the HF slows them so slows your k33l rate.
Well, you still have your army whipping on them fairly uickly without the thorns & im. Just listing options. It also helps in pvp.

Pherdnut

Diabloii.Net Member
With any aura-based return build (Bramble + Edge), it's much better to use amp damage than Iron Maiden.

I'm working on a Titan Obedience Splatmancer build but it's kind of slow going. I'm kind of waiting until I get my hands on a Lo rune for Fortitude and getting reasonably good IAS has been tricky.