Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Learning about Macs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by rare, Nov 14, 2006.

1. rare

rare Diabloii.Net Member

Learning about Macs

does anyone have any link to a sort of tutorial or like "virtual" mac?

I have to learn how to troubleshoot stuff on a mac for work, more specifically the internet part of it.

Like for example, I am interested in learning the apple version of

-Control Panel
    -Network Connections
    -creating PPPoE connections (while using a modem without a GUI)
    turning on/off DHCP server
    -how wireless works (does Apple have a "wireless zero configuration" like XP computers do?)
    -Internet Options
    -how cookies and temp. internet files are handled.
    -manipulating ip's (set to manual, automatic, release, renew them)
    -DNS

In general also how Macs deal with internet shortcuts.. if Safari is somewhat like IE (not much protection, no real popup blocker, and does it have trusted/restricted sites like IE does)

That would be about it.. And I did try to google this of course but I wasnt completely sure what I was downloading; it's midnight and I've been awake for about 20 hours, and right now is the only time during the day I have to do this.

So Id rather not download some random virtual mac, and came here in hopes someone knows of one or can lead me in the right direction, or can actually answer all of the above questions

thank you!

2. DurfBarian

DurfBarian Diabloii.Net Member

Like for example, I am interested in learning the apple version of

-Control Panel

The system preferences are all accessible from one application. It lives on the Dock in a default install.

-Network Connections

These are configurable in one of the preference panes in that application.

-creating PPPoE connections (while using a modem without a GUI)
    turning on/off DHCP server

Might depend on your modem . . . The ones I've used generally have some sort of control deal you can access through a browser pointed at the IP address on the modem. PPPoE settings are controlled in the network preference pane in the OS.

-how wireless works (does Apple have a "wireless zero configuration" like XP computers do?)

No . . . it has a much better one. :grin: Much less fiddling to do than on XP.

-Internet Options

There's no centralized clearing house for these like in Windows. You deal with minor preferences in the applications you use for mail, web, IRC, FTP, and so on.

-how cookies and temp. internet files are handled.

Depends on the application. They are stored in easily found places on the drive and you can zap them through the application or in the Finder.

-manipulating ip's (set to manual, automatic, release, renew them)
    -DNS

Can be set through the OS's preference pane.

In general also how Macs deal with internet shortcuts.. if Safari is somewhat like IE (not much protection, no real popup blocker, and does it have trusted/restricted sites like IE does)

Safari has a good built-in popup blocker. You can install plugins for the browser to give you more detailed controls, but in general Firefox is where to go if you want to control every little thing.

I don't know about a "virtual Mac" for you to run on a generic x86 machine. There are torrents out there of the 10.4.x Mac OS for Intel machines, but be careful what you pirate and install on your machine. RoboNinjaSteveJobs is watching.

3. Dondrei

Dondrei Diabloii.Net Member

One of the things that bothers me about the whole Mac philosophy is that "less fiddling to do" often means "less fiddling possible". I understand a lot of that changed with OS X, but still.

4. DurfBarian

What do you mean "but still"? But I still use an 8-year-old OS so I'm going to keep dragging out 8-year-old debate points? Har har, Windoze was stuck with the 8.3 file naming convention! Not now, you know, but still. :badteeth:

5. Dondrei

8.3 is all you ever need.

6. DurfBarian

you mean "8.3 alluever.ned"

7. Dondrei

deltree Durf

8. DurfBarian

Not my tree! *gasps*

9. Amra

Amra Diabloii.Net Member

The 1980's called and want the quote back.

10. rare

rare Diabloii.Net Member

thank you so much!

and Yes by what Ive seen everything is simplified on a mac, which kind of worries me because as Dondrei said if theres less fiddling, means theres less fiddling possible. And when someone is screaming in your ear to fix it quick, you NEED more fiddling e.e

So to find options about cookies, and internet browsing in general, I would have to open up Safari and go to some sort of options area in it? Or is everything available from the "system preferences" you speak of?

the pppoe thing does indeed apply to modems without a gui (without the internal ip you mentioned) and such that the connection has to be made on the computer. and this would also apply to modems that youd want to put on bridge mode.

and you mentioned cookies and files are kept in easy places and able to be zapped from the finder... does this mean there is no "delete all cookies" button, and that I have to kind of hunt them down (but obviously knowning where they are; but thisd be inconvenient since id have to lead someone through several folders..)

Would you happen to know if conflicts between a wireless adapter's software and apples "built in" wireless are common?

in XP i frequently have to mess around with the wireless zero, and even when its stopped i still have to check into the wireless settings from XP, even though I am actually connecting using the wireless adapter's software...

and is safari very customizable like firefox, or just kind-of like Opera? Is there a big chance id find some sort of like simplified "extensions" on a customer's safari? Or is it more like IE where its not customizable at all and is a sort of "standard" in browsing with a mac, again just like IE is to Windows machines.

thanks a lot for your input and help, and I think for now ill stick to asking people and perhaps just tutorials with pictures; the emulator thing may not be worth the efffort.

11. Dondrei

*Sows the hard drive with random data so that Durf can never rise again*

Bah, everything was better in the 80's. Kids these days and their long filenames...

12. rare

rare Diabloii.Net Member

cool, i had no idea why you used "sows" so with the magic of firefox, alt+left click gave me instantly this:

1. To scatter (seed) over the ground for growing.
    2. To impregnate (a growing medium) with seed.
    3. To propagate; disseminate: sow rumors.
    4. To strew or cover with something; spread thickly.

fun

13. DurfBarian

as Dondrei said if theres less fiddling, means theres less fiddling possible. And when someone is screaming in your ear to fix it quick, you NEED more fiddling e.e

OS X gives you all kinds of chances to get in the guts of your system and screw it up. Fear not! :azn:

So to find options about cookies, and internet browsing in general, I would have to open up Safari and go to some sort of options area in it? Or is everything available from the "system preferences" you speak of?

There's no centralized control panel to deal with cookies and browser preferences. If you want to change settings for Safari, you do it in Safari; ditto for Firefox, Opera, OmniWeb, Camino, etc.

the pppoe thing does indeed apply to modems without a gui (without the internal ip you mentioned) and such that the connection has to be made on the computer. and this would also apply to modems that youd want to put on bridge mode.

I'm not too sure about this, since I've only ever had to do fairly basic configs on my modem and WAP. The PPPoE settings for the computer are all accessible through the system prefs.

and you mentioned cookies and files are kept in easy places and able to be zapped from the finder... does this mean there is no "delete all cookies" button, and that I have to kind of hunt them down (but obviously knowning where they are; but thisd be inconvenient since id have to lead someone through several folders..)

No, all the browsers I've used have "erase browser history" and "reset cookies" and all those good functions built in. You can do it either way.

Would you happen to know if conflicts between a wireless adapter's software and apples "built in" wireless are common?

Not in my experience, although if you buy a megacheap WAP you might get stuck with one that can only be configured on a Windows machine. Something to look into.

and is safari very customizable like firefox, or just kind-of like Opera? Is there a big chance id find some sort of like simplified "extensions" on a customer's safari? Or is it more like IE where its not customizable at all and is a sort of "standard" in browsing with a mac, again just like IE is to Windows machines.

It's standard, and it's not too customizable on its own. However, you can use a command in the Terminal (the unix interface) to enable a debug menu that gives you some extra abilities, and this site has lots of goodies to extend the browser:
    http://pimpmysafari.com/
    Still not quite as good as Firefox for people who really want to do crazy things with the browser though.

14. Dondrei

It was actually a reference to the Romans sowing the ground with salt at Carthage, I didn't think many would get it though.

15. jmervyn

jmervyn Diabloii.Net Member

I'm just glad it didn't indicate a plural of "sow". :flip:

16. rare

rare Diabloii.Net Member

Ah.

And thank you durf, that was very helpful. I think i will need to find some sort of site where I can click around as if it were a mac environment.

kind of like this : http://osx.portraitofakite.com/

it lets you do some very basic stuff, id like it so it can show a whole lot more; and its not an emulator or anything, just a sort of interface I can inter..act with. :shocked:

17. Amra

Amra Diabloii.Net Member

I have learned a wee bit from this thread. :idea:

/me archives thread

18. Dondrei

Yes, it has been more informative than our usual PC vs. Mac squabbles.

19. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

AFAIK there is no website that gives a true representation of OS X, especially for learning purposes.

http://www.macosxhints.com/ Learn to love that site, they are very knowledgeable.

www.versiontracker.com Again this site can save your ***.

If you know any Unix stuff you can change anything you want in OS X, if you don't someone at macosxhints can probably help. Other than that you can still edit plenty of things if you really want to.

A lot of people hear that OS X "just works" and that you don't have to fiddle with things and assume you can't edit things. This isn't true, it's just that most people never have to do so.

System Preferences controls pretty much everything. The application preferences(Command+,) are pretty solid most of the time as well.

Networking should be pretty cut and dry, plug it in and most of the time it works. Wireless you just have to select the network name from a drop down(and type the password if there is one).

Safari actually has a pr0n mode, but it can be disabled for user accounts. There is still the normal delete history/delete cookies options.

If you have any more questions or screenshot requests, bump this thread during the weekend and I'll do it.

20. DurfBarian

That's a branch build called FirePig. It only runs on the secret upcoming Ubuntu, "Breathless Boar."