Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Leap Attack Barb story worth posting?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by CheekyJez, Apr 8, 2004.

1. CheekyJez

CheekyJez IncGamers Member

Leap Attack Barb story worth posting?

Dear all...

Well I've decided to go ahead with "Kermit" - a Leap Attack barb... not sure what to use in the way of weapons, I'm sure something will come up... not even sure whether to go 1-H or 2-H. Should I post updates on his adventures or does no-one care....

Jez

2. Cauthon

Cauthon IncGamers Member

Go for it - it's an interesting build, and we always find stories entertaining.

3. CheekyJez

Hokay....

Kermit is currently lvl 7, having cleared out the Den of Evil on /players 8. 2 skill points into Leap, the others not spent. No stat points spent yet. I want to make a decision on gear before spending too much - obviously I'll put a big investment in strength and vit, the question is dex... am quite tempted to go with a maul setup so I don't need it at all, but there are perks to a shield... but then a spear or polearm would give me better range.. Oh I'm so confused!

Anyhow, the guest star on this week's Muppet Show is a Miss Blood Raven - however she's having a sulk in her dressing room, so Kermit will have to go and sort her out...

Am thinking of twinking the Berserker's set to him to get him going - would this be worthwhile?

Laters...

4. SideShowBob

SideShowBob IncGamers Member

It would make for a solid start. I'm all for going the big 2-hander
    route by the way. :thumbsup: I still want to do one of these myself.

5. Moog_playa

Moog_playa IncGamers Member

Yup, Berserker's Set is pretty good for the next 10 or more levels...and you can add pieces of Sigon's/Death's/Isenharts/anything else you have lying around.

6. Abroz

Abroz IncGamers Member

I have a frenzyer with full berserkers set (2 axes), Sigon's gloves, belt and boots, with Angelic rings/ammy, he is only lvl 18 now, but is quite good.

7. CheekyJez

Don't think there's much point in my dual wielding as I can only hit with one weapon when I leap.... I guess if I twink angelic rings & ammy, sigon's shield, gloves, belt/boots, and the berserker set, i'll have +3 skills... l33t or what?

Miss Blood Raven will not be appearing on tonight's show. Her agent Mr Bonebreaker was most distressed - in fact he went to pieces about it. Kermit must now discuss things with his talent scout, Mr Bish E. Bosh.

8. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

[hijack] My spoon is too big. My spoon is too big. I AM A BANANA!!![/hijack]

and if any of the rest know what i'm talking about, you officially rule. :)

9. Brass_Monkey

Brass_Monkey IncGamers Member

[hijack] I'm the Queeen of Fraaaance! [/hijack]
    I officially rule! :D
    </Monkey>

10. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

I would also go for a twohanded weapon. I would suggest the Unique Great Maul (steeldriver) would be great. Nice damage, speed and a huge lower req.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you will only need 127 to str when it's upgraded to a thunder maul and the damage will be huge.

Beware of the IM though I have read that Leap Attack doesn't count as range attack after the patch.
    Although an interesting build good luck with it.

DX

11. CheekyJez

Update

Kermit has reached the inner cloister. I twinked him with the Berserkers set, and Sigon's gloves, boots, belt and shield. To do this I had to dump a lot of skill points into strength, but... they'd have gone in there eventually anyway...

I'm thinking Cathan's rings for the life leech rather than angelic? He's not having any trouble hitting anything at the moment.

Still keeping my options open on weapons - I haven't put any points into Dex or a weapon mastery. I'm thinking my options go summat like this:

a) 1-H sword, axe, mace + shield for flexibility and balance (and resists, yay)
    b) 2-H sword, axe, maul for damage
    c) Spear/Polearm for range

Kermit is level 18 now and has his first point in Leap Attack, which is terribly exciting - although at the moment I'm kind of enjoying the shockwave effect leap has. Is it worth my while equipping Gorefoots for the +2 Leap? Everything falls down when I jump!

12. CheekyJez

Right. The Berserker's Hatchet has GOT to go. More to the point, it keeps breaking, requiring trips back to Charsi. This is no good to me... what would my level 18 barb be better off using, I wonder.

There is a weapon type I missed... staves. I wonder how well a Ribcracker would work for Leap Attacking... it'd be like a pole vault...

13. SideShowBob

I've used it before with a leap and whirl barb. It hits fast and hard.
    It's quite fun while bunny-hopping. Only 13 more levels for Kermit. :)
    A decent maul will work in the mean time I'd bet.

14. alsetzer

alsetzer IncGamers Member

[hijack] And now, Angry Ticks fly out of my nipples!...*Buzz* *screams*[/hijack]

Rock

Anyway, as for our friend kermit, Big Two hander is the way to go, I'd suggest a big damn hammer, so you can pwn Koric for stealing your idea, and show him who the true "lord of the leap" is. However, there are equally cool (and bigger) bardiches/spears/scythes etc. Just make sure that the animation is cool when you do it. If you're going for a cool themed character (mega dmg, one monster at a time, with a jump delay between each, could be tough as a viable hell build) he may as well look hella-cool while doing his thing.

Good luck with kermit, keep us informed, and kick Koric in his hammer weilding ***!

Alsetzer :thumbsup:

15. CheekyJez

In between the hijacks... Kermit is most of the way through the catacombs - I want to give him a brief equipment revamp before he faces Andariel if possible...

On a side note, on his travels he's found Rixot's Keen, the Infernal Cranium, Cleglaw's Shield (whichever thingie it is) and Isenhart's Case (wooohooo!)

Do I need any IAS when using Leap Attack? Is weapon speed at all a factor? Hmmm....

edit: switched weapon to Griswold's Edge and took down Andariel without much trouble. She dropped a bunch of crappy rares, a ruby and a Tir. Ah well.

16. spiral55

spiral55 IncGamers Member

"On a side note, on his travels he's found Rixot's Keen, the Infernal Cranium, Cleglaw's Shield (whichever thingie it is) and Isenhart's Case (wooohooo!)"

That's got to be a first, someone excited about finding a breast plate. :teeth:

"Do I need any IAS when using Leap Attack? Is weapon speed at all a factor? Hmmm...."

No and no, respectively. The only time attack speed will be an issue would be if you're stuck in a situation where you can't leap attack (stairs trap or when swarmed by hard-hitting monsters like frenzytaurs, for example).

As for your questions about your weapon, yeah, Great Big Huge Two-Hander of Monster Pwnage is definitely the way to go. You can always keep a good one-hander with a high-block, high-resistance shield (Moser's with 2 PDiamonds or, if you're rich, 2 Um runes would be ideal, or anything with 3 PDiamonds/Ums if you don't care about blocking) on your weapon switch for whenever you need more of either.

I think I'd just go nuts on STR, with either 3 STR and 2 VIT every level or 4 and 1 every level, especially if you decide to go with mauls. You'll be a glass cannon, doing INSANE damage with every attack, but also kind of fragile until you get Battle Order pumped up.

17. monolith

monolith IncGamers Member

dual cathan's rings are the nuts. 6 % life leech, and a partial set bonus of +10 to strength. they're in my twinking gear toolbox. As to the weapons:

TWO HANDS!

Smashing things from above is such fun. Glass cannon is the right term for it, Just remember to yell out BANZAI! as you leap into battle.

18. CheekyJez

OK, so we're going to go two handed, and have such ridiculously high life that the lack of resists and blocking won't be a problem... besides which, we aim to be in the air and untargetable 95% of the time.

Kermit is lvl 22 and about to enter the Halls of the Dead.
    He's close to maxing leap and has 5 points in Leap Attack - have mainly just been bouncing things with leap and chopping them up when I land rather than using LA at the moment tho as I don't have enough mana leech...

When he hits lvl 24 I think it's bonesnap time....

19. SideShowBob

Yes, it is a factor on your actual swing speed itself. It does not have
    an effect on the leap's speed. Try a slow weapon versus a fast one -
    the speed differences in your swing are quite tangible in my experience.

20. spiral55

spiral55 IncGamers Member

You can and in fact will get hit while you're in mid-air. It's happened to me countless times. For an illustration of this, you can do one of two things. Either have a zealot/frenzier/fendazon (anything with multiple attacks) with some cold or poison damage somewhere fight a pack of leapers and watch what happens when they jump over you and land. They'll be blue or green, or they just land and instantly die. Or, let your leap attacker get surrounded. Leap Attack out and when you land you'll see you took damage while in flight. Characters and monsters can't be actively targeted mid-leap, but they can still get hit.