Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lead...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DrunkPotHead, Jun 1, 2005.

1. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

Lead...

Does lead (atomic element #82) block all electromagnetic/radio/x-ray/microwave/etc signals? All frequencies or only a certain range? What doesn't it block? Is there any type of transmitter that when put into a lead box will still be able to transmit and receive signals? Is the thickness of the lead a factor? Is there anything else i need to know about lead and radio waves?

If anyone studied this subject or knows about it, can you please enlighten me?

Also, if anyone knows where i can get one, please post a link.

2. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

California blocked distribution of lead-based figurines and claimed it was for the children. As if many children get the opportunity to eat old Warhammer figures.

Oh, and Kryptonite can't penetrate it. Does that help?

3. DrunkPotHead

I live in NY, and i was hoping to find out if a lead box would prevent any and/or all signals of any type of frequency from penetrating in or out. For example, if i put my cellphone in such a box, would i lose my signal? Or any other type of object for that matter?

Also wondering if lead will stop magnetic fields, not just radio waves of any frequency.

4. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

If Pb can block gamma rays, you can bet it'll also block lower energy electromagnetic waves. Of course thickness makes a difference. Now if you're concerned with neutrinos and such, well Pb ain't gonna help.

Build a Faraday cage.

5. DrunkPotHead

Thanks. That does help. Would you know what is the minumum thickness required to block an x-ray?

Also, are magnetic fields blocked by lead? Or skewed by lead?

Does the Faraday cage have something to do with an aquarium with dry ice on the bottom? I have seen one in a museum somewhere and i remember that it enabled me to see little comet-like streaks through the mist which were supposedly neutrinos...

6. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

No, no dry ice (at least to build one).

7. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Lead won't kill all waves unless really thick. Gamma rays take several feet of concrete and lead.

If you put your cell in a lead box, it would block the signal. Copper will block magnetic fields and radio waves move effectively than lead at low levels since you can bend it and mold it easier. If you make a parabolic reflector like the one here you can stop all signals from going in one direction. Or if you make four of them and place them so the edges touch anything on the inside of them will be protected.

8. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Funny that you mention lead... the other day while smoking pot it occured to me that Superman is an idiot. Why didn't he make his costume out of lead?

9. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

superman did have a suit that blocked kryptonite, but it was just restrictive.

10. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Because it would hinder his movement(not because he is weak, because he would break the lead pieces and make the suit pointless.) so he would have to sacrifice movement.

Not to mention there is no way to completely cover himself while allowing him to effectively fight crime. His head would need to be covered, but then he couldn't see or hear. Not to mention his suit isn't impervious, any villain able to get kryptonite would be able to destroy his suit easily enough.

Heh, I just watched a show on super heroes where this question came up, but they didn't answer it.

11. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Unless you have an x-ray generator sitting next to the thing you want to shield, 1 mm would probably be more than sufficient.

No. The nuclear boogeyman of ignorance strikes again.

12. Johnny

Johnny Banned

If packed snow can stop radioactivity then lead should be able to stop some x rays.

13. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

What're you trying to smuggle? Gonna hide it in a lead figurine or something? ;)

14. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

Yeah, I'm with Steve on this one... why the sudden interest in Lead? Just curious. I mean it sounds like you've got some underground, clandestine testing facility at which you plan to conduct nefarious experiments to derail the course of humanity! Either that, or something else.

15. kryo

kryo IncGamers Member

Unless you're working on a DIY nuclear reactor, a simple faraday cage or conductive mesh might do the trick (blocking radio/microwave/etc).

16. DrunkPotHead

Just wondering.

17. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Professional shoplifters use lead-lined bags.

18. Stoutwood

Stoutwood IncGamers Member

Because, that would make Superman even more boring than he already is because there would be absolutely nothing that could harm him, ever. I was always a Batman and Punisher fan myself. The only unstoppable superhero that I ever liked was Steel.