Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lazerus, Donutz's hardcore spear zealer pally...how far will he go?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by diablo loves donutz, Oct 1, 2006.

1. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

Lazerus, Donutz's hardcore spear zealer pally...how far will he go?

Well guys, I've made up my mind on trying a pally spear zealer (I will be trying the builds everyone voted for in the future-enchantress, leap barb, etc so don't you threat:wink3: )

Lazerus is my first venture though into a mess of off the wall builds, but still viable and easy to have fun with. This is hardcore, 1.11, untwinked, and pure vanilla...boy is this going to be fun :grin:

So far I'm level 18 and currently running countess for some runes to make a stealth. While although countess hasn't been very generous lately, my venture proves to be very generous. Rakanishu dropped me a very sexy biggon's bonnet, I've gotten a few cool rare spears drop, and a few other crappy, but at this point awesome, items.

Just a few quick questions I was wondering you guys could help me out with.

I've made lots of pally builds, but never got TOO deep into the zealer. Does IAS affect zeal?

If so, should I opt for fanat instead of conc? And should I not have to worry about what base speeds come on the spears I get?

Just looking for some help on these questions, that's all.

Thanks for listening guys.

Oh, and btw, my bets are either getting offed by a CB beetle in act2, and if not one of them, then an oblivion knight will be waiting with his friend iron maiden for me in act4:azn:

2. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

3. AJK

AJK IncGamers Member

Heck yeah, it does.
    Yes, go fanat. More speed, and more damage (better leech). For spears, I'd advice looking at the Arreat Summit's weapon's page, and see which spears are the fastest for the Paladin. And pray for a Hone Sundan :badteeth:.
    My bets are on Pitspawn Fouldog.

4. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

*bump* hehe...

I reckon 'he who loves donutz' will be the end of you. Your resistances will most likely not be too flash, and his lightning thingamy will fry you in your boots.

I have an ethereal hone sundan I could _loan_ to you if you need it. I intended on making a spearbarb, but he's a long way off, but I will make him one day. So, in the meantime, if you need it, PM me

5. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

This is an interesting idea.

Is it two-handed spears only, or can you use javelin/shield too? What about throwing weapons or bow/crossbow on switch. Wand/dagger with curses?

If you don´t use any shield at all, be on the lookout for items with Cannot Be Frozen, which is quite hard to get untwinked without Rhyme. Even the lowly Hawkmail can be an endgame-worthy item for you.

The choice of merc will be very important. But with 1.11, you can of course change them like you change underwear...

My guess is that you will die in one of the last four Kurast temples, in Nightmare. One with archers, bats, beetles or snakes, double boss pack stairs trap! That is if you play NM on /players 8.
    If you play on a low players setting (1-3), I think you will make it at least to the Claw Viper Temple in Hell. Then we´ll see what Lazerus is made of...

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

6. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

Nah, no jav's and shields. Spears only and maybe a wand with charges and such. Yea, Big D's definently going to be a problem.

@neumein-Thanks for the offer, but I'm gunna go pure untwinked/self found when it comes to my goodies, just to increase the difficulty:grin:

7. Syzerian

Syzerian IncGamers Member

I though about starting a spear zealer awhile ago when I found the Kelpie Snare. Very good spear with fire resist and life bonus, but more importantly slows target by 75%.
    Perhaps you should look at finding this weapon since it will make boss fights a lot easier especially if you use holy freeze.

Makes an awesome merc weapon too.

8. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

Just make sure you get nose-to-nose with him, that way his lightning breath can't touch you. You still have to worry about his other attacks, of course...

9. jiansonz

This works in Nightmare and Hell only. In Normal, his Lightning Inferno will have to be dodged/blocked/suffered.

10. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. Good to know.

11. rickcarson

rickcarson IncGamers Member

That might explain why I've never been able to get it to work. Maybe I've always tried in Normal because it would be 'safer'.

Are there any ideas why this would be different in Normal? RTB?

12. jiansonz

There is also a difference between NM and Hell. In NM, you have to get really close for it to work. If you have a weapon with a range of more than 1, the best way is to click past Diablo so your character bumps into him, then attack.

In Hell, the LI starts quite a bit away from him (and you can clearly see that).