Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lawsuit driven legal system

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SalvatoreJohn, Jun 6, 2008.

1. SalvatoreJohn

SalvatoreJohn IncGamers Member

Lawsuit driven legal system

The recent report of a $54 million lawsuit against a family-owned dry-cleaning business over a pair of lost pants was a harsh reminder of the threat of outrageous litigation American businesses, large and small, face every day.
    Economists at the Pacific Research Institute currently estimate that the lawsuit-driven legal system costs a family of four $9,827 a year. The national litigation costs total about $865 billion to $2.4 billion a day.
    These numbers came home to Texas during the legislative session when Texans for Lawsuit Reform encouraged lawmakers to close a legal loophole that was threatening the state's maritime industry.
    Texas has no natural deep water ports. Houston, the largest port in the nation, along with Corpus Christi, Beaumont and hundreds of other large and small port facilities, must regularly be dredged to keep the channels and waterways open.
    A handful of lawyers in Houston and Galveston identified a loophole in Texas venue law that allowed them to file scores of lawsuits against the dredging companies in several counties in South Texas, which the American Tort Reform Association label as "judicial hellholes." In just four years, lawsuits against dredgers in Texas skyrocketed. The high risk of litigation drove the cost of dredging through the roof and dredging contracts were being canceled.
    The dredging companies doing business in Texas experience increase in liability costs along with nonstop lawsuits. One company went out of business just before this past legislative session even began.
    The cost of everything going in and out of Texas ports has been affected; automobiles, fuel, agricultural and manufactured products. Dick Weekley , CEO of Quality of life coalition opined that the prices would go up and the availability of products would decline by these incessant lawsuits

2. Erwwwd

Erwwwd IncGamers Member

Re: Lawsuit driven legal system

Welcome to the forums.

Though

Not so recent. And the case was won by the dry-cleaners.

3. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Just how many forums have you spammed this post in?

4. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Just stop awarding millions for "suffering"

If someone hits your car and you break your arm. You sue them and the court makes them pay you for the damage to the car. medical treatment and for lost income til your arm is healed and that's it.

Lawsuits should only award exactly what the victim lost in the event.

5. Erwwwd

Erwwwd IncGamers Member

There's a thing to be said for future income. If you put someone in a wheelchair you've hurt them more (financially) than the hospital bills alone. It will never heal fully, and it is hard to assess how much this takes out of his/her entire life.

6. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Hence the part about "lost income" if you had bothered to read it.

However being put in a wheelchair is not a lifelong loss of income. Just a few years delay while the person learns a new trade.

Regardless very few of these lawsuits are about people being crippled. It's about people geting awarded millions for "emotional damage" which is a joke in itself.

7. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Inaugural usage:

:spam:

8. AeroJonesy

Are you saying the CAN-SPAM Act is contributing to the costs of the legal system?

9. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Cause if you do He's Gonna Sue you!
    I on the other hand just took you pants and wallet!

10. robzombiesslave

robzombiesslave IncGamers Member

Huh?? Do you know how much harder it would be to get through life in a wheelchair? No more of your favorite activities. All of your goals and dreams crushed and there is no possibility for you to achieve those dreams. Fkk "lost income". What are your dreams and goals? Im sure being crippled would hinder/prevent that from ever happening. I know being in a wheelchair would ruin my life. And you cant replace/fix that.. Yes you "might" be capable of living a full life. But thats bs..

And it is impossible to judge ones "lost income". I couldnt predict lost income and im sure you couldnt either, unless you're an oracle or something.

11. SSNLDO

SSNLDO IncGamers Member

No, No, No!!! The cost of the legal system is causing the SPAMMING!

12. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

I put in a phone system for one of those "Psychic Network" Companies.
    They don't have a clue.

13. AeroJonesy

Lost income is actually fairly easy to determine.

14. robzombiesslave

Really? So you can determine whether or not you will land that high exec job 10 years down the road? Talented :thumbsup:

15. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Exactly.

Well lets see. Say I make $5000 a month. A guy on a bike rides over on the pedestrian side and hit's me. I end up with a broken arm and cant work for 2 months. I sue him and so get the cost of medical treatment and then $10.000 for those 2 months I wont be able to work.

But most likely I wont have to sue him as this money will be awarded to me on his recklessness trial.

If you want to play it like that then we should also count that the person might be hit by lightning in 5 years and so we stop paying from then on. Besides if it is so impossible for you estimate lost income then obviously no money at all should be awarded since there is no way to figure out how much is deserved.

16. robzombiesslave

So your dreams are crushed and dont get anything out of it? Yea its true money cant buy happyness, but it sure does help imo.

And im not really talking about 2 month disability periods, thats a different scenario. However, lets say you lengthen that period to two years. Lets base it off of me because I dont make diddly right now. I make a little more than 1k a month.

Now lets say that im injured and cant work for 2 years. First off, I wouldnt be able to join the army so I lose out on that money.. And you cant predict how much I would have made in the army. And if this was a perm thing, I would never be able to join the army.

I dont know how long I will/would have stayed in the army but I do plan to make a career out of it. I dont know what my paygrade will/would be in the army after 2 years. You couldnt know either. I know I would be making more than 1k a month :p which if im getting payed based off of what you're saying I would have made 24k for two years.. I sure would be getting the shorter end of the stick. :yes:

So great, I get injured from someone elses negligence, cant work at my crappy job (which means no promotions [unless you can determine this somehow]), and i've gotta go through therapy for 2 years.

Dies from lightning? comon.. You could die from lightning tommrow so why should they pay you $10.000 for those two months if you're going to die tommrow..

I didnt get into this discussion because of a two month disability leave.
    I got into it after....
    Because being put in a wheelchair is a lifelong loss of income And many other wonderful things in life. Not to mention the fact that they are being forced to "learn a new trade" because of someone else. And thats just not cool.

17. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Yeah that's about as valid as "I was planning to become a rockstar and rockstars make tons of money"

The moneey you get should only be based on factual future income. Not imaginary future income.

Hey you're the one who brought in imaginary fantasy land future promitions and army gigs. You cant get money for things that so far only happen in your mind.

We are'nt talking about people being crippled for life. We are talking frivolous lawsuits. Like the kind where a guy catches a look of Janet Jacksons nipple and then sues her because the intense trauma he suffered has cost him his job and his wife and now he wants millions.

Meanwhile Janet Jackson might have a hot body and all but her face looks too much like her brother so if I ever had to bang her it would have to be with a bag over her head. No offence to her it's just that looking her brother in the face terminates more wood than that lumber machine from Ferngully

18. Erwwwd

Erwwwd IncGamers Member

Look, I bothered reading it. You don't comment on future income.

When you ruin someones life you do have to pay more than the costs of recovery. Actions have consequences and you will have to live with that. My point was just that in some cases it is not as black and white as you pictured it.

With you on the frivolous lawsuits though, but most (not all, ok) of these are lost. Like the OP stated with his 54 million dollar lawsuit, that case was lost -> the legal system worked. But it's just such a nice populistic argument to get everyone to go: Boo lawyers, boo. Makes for nice tv as well.

19. robzombiesslave

I didnt say im going to be a rockstar. But I will not be making 1k a month in 2 years from now. No I dont have any factual future income. But that is bullsh!t if that opportunity is taken away from me.

I am, and I explained in my last post.

And yes thats retarded but im not talking about stupid/pointless lawsuits like this one.

20. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Well pointless lawsuits happen to be the point of the thread.