Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lawbringer & Iron Gollem > good idea?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Hookipa, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Hookipa

Hookipa IncGamers Member

Hi all,

Recently I picked up my summoner necro again, because I wanted to try him with a merc with infinity. I played 2 hrs on P5 and I like its strenght. A walk in the park.

I decided to respec and I ditched clay gollem and switched to an insight iron gollem and now mana worries are a thing of the past. However, its a nice to have, not a must have and mana issues are something I could further decrease by using double Soj, shako, necro ammy with mana and using more mana sc's.

Realising this I thought what item for my iron gollem could further improve my damage output... LAWBRINGER, because of its salavation aura. So the question is,do all the effects of salvation aura apply to all my minions?

Has anybody ever tried this? What are your experiences?

Cheers Hookipa.

2. frozzzen

frozzzen IncGamers Member

Afraid not.
    • Damage Resist of undead is pierced: the supplier's physical damage is applied as though undead have DR 0%, even when Immune to Physical. However, DR % is not pierced when calculating Crushing Blow damage: it remains completely ineffective against Immune to Physical undead.
    • Since DR of undead is pierced after DR -% from Amplify Damage or Decrepify is applied, it's redundant when DR <= 0%: if AD or Decrepify don't result in DR <= 0%, then they are redundant.
    • Piercing of hostile undead DR only applies to the supplier's physical damage and not to that of allies: it also applies to undead targets beyond its radius.
    It only works on golem himself (or you in case you decide to wear Azurewrath or Lawbringer yourself, but your minions won't benefit from it. It's still nice for knocking back undead monsters but summone doesn't benefit much from that.

EDIT: You can always make Pride iron golem. Not exactly cheap but it's been done before.

3. Hookipa

Hookipa IncGamers Member

'Thank you very much for your input. Such a pitty though, but I was afraid this was too good to be true.

For now insight will remain in my IG. I cant imagine I will have th guts to put pride in an IG, but who knows after most of my D2 dreams have been realized I will make one... (prolly not :-().

4. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

You could also use Beast either on your Necro or (gasp) in an Iron Golem. But I seem to remember that it didn't help as much as you'd think, since skeleton attack speed is fixed. Haven't tried it myself.

5. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

I thought the attack speed wasn't fixed... but maybe I'm thinking of golem?

Either the standby time in between attacks is fixed or the animation itself is fixed but I don't think both are...
    Where'd onderduiker when you need him :eek:

6. GooberGrape

http://tph.tuwien.ac.at/~gottwald/necro_pet_calculator.html

I was half correct. All pets wait 15 frames between each attack. So each attack actually takes (attack frames + 15). This means Beast does have some effect on speeding up attacks, but it is a smaller DPS effect due to the fixed wait time.

7. pharphis

Sweet calc, I might use it some day.

8. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow IncGamers Member

You don't need Beast or Pride. If you have good items, your skeletons will kill everything easily enough. The merc's Might and your Amplify Damage will be sufficient. Then you start the CE blasts, and Infinity and Insight help a lot at that point. I used to use Insight on my necro's merc until I got Infinity. I swapped them but ran out of mana, so I made an Insight golem and while the Clay Golem is more useful when it comes to slowing Baal, Decrepify and cold mages do enough on that front.

9. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

IIRC, the damage boost from Raise Skeleton counts as skill damage, so it's added (not multiplied) with auras, which makes Inf merc and Ins golem even more preferrable than beast/pride options.

Summon skillers ftw.

10. Hookipa

Hookipa IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the input.

By now I have played plenty of hours with my necro using infinity and with skill levels 43, 42 and 45 for skeleton, skelton mage and mastery. I start of with summon gear and then switch to shako/+2necro ammy etc (no Beast).

Even on players 8 it is very easy. Especially hitting Diablo with 19 revives; his health bar diminishes in 20 seconds.

Though I really like the insight IG I have found that in 2 occasions he got killed. I did not even notice it, because I was ID'ing items. Though the mana recharge is nice, my experience so far is that it is a "nice to have" and definitely not a "must have". I chug a mana potion approx every 2 minutes, depending on CE usage. After I have 2 Soj's I think that this will be even less of an issue.

So that brings me to a new target item for IG, taking into account that I need enough gollem mastery for hit points.
    After a bit of scanning on arreat summit there are (besides pride) only 2 items which come to mind.

1) Grief: for all the obvious reasons grief is great, making my IG a hard hitter. However, since I don't even own 1 grief, let alone use it for an IG this is not really an option.

2) Crscent moon: mainly for the combo of ignore target defense and static. Even though static chance is low, putting it in the fastest two handed ethereal sword I have, could result in a nice area of effect and even some nice dmg.

What do you guys think?

11. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Iron golem is frankly pointless.

Insight is probably the only worthwhile thing to make it with and not even that. Don't bother with pride/etc.

Clay golem for the win. Slow ftw!

12. GooberGrape

Crescent moon pole arm for the merc isn't a bad choice, and it won't override your Amp like Reapers Toll.

Fishy liked the Fire Golem for its built in crowd control, it pulls everything toward it.

BobCox2 likes this.
  13. pharphis

1.07 CM IG + infinity merc :D

BobCox2 likes this.
  14. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

IG is not worth a High Level runeword as it can bug die too easy.
    Cheap easy low level ones are good though. You can get them to be immune to elements pretty easy.
    Two examples of cheaper builds:
    I made my Iron golem out of a Smoke runeword armor (50% res to all) and have a lvl6 summon resistance (also 50% res to all),
    This IronGolem will be immune toFire, Cold, Lightning, Poison Damage & the Freezes Target Modifier.

However, this IronGolem will die if enough Magic, regular Physical, Crushing Blow, and/or Open Wounds Damage is applied.

One hit of Open Wounds Damage will kill this IG easily. About 2 to 4 hits of Magic Damage, equaling 255 to 511 Damage per hit will also kill the IG. Crushing Blow Damage will reduce the IG's hitpoints very fast, but it would take forever to finally kill the IG alone with CB damage. Then there's regular old Physical Damage, which will kill the IG if given in high enough amounts [​IMG]

other ways to get this
    He starts with 100% poison and 50% lightning resist, so you just have to worry about physical, fire, and ice. I guess the cheapest would be a 3D shield and the toughest would be Treachery?

and
    Crushing Blow.
    Also any metal made Black runeword Thul Io Nef (Club/hammer or Mace but don't make in club) makes a handy addition to the list.
    +120% Enhanced Damage
    40% Chance Of Crushing Blow
    +200 To Attack Rating
    Adds 3-14 Cold Damage - Cold Duration 3 Seconds
    +10 To Vitality
    15% Increased Attack Speed
    Knockback
    Magic Damage Reduced By 2
    Level 4 Corpse Explosion (12 Charges)

Strength (Amn Tir in a metal Melee weapon works to a lesser degree)
    35% Enhanced Damage
    25% Chance Of Crushing Blow
    7% Life Stolen Per Hit
    +2 To Mana After Each Kill
    +20 To Strength
    +10 To Vitality

The Hone Sun Yari would be better upped (if ladder) socketed with Amn/sheal combos and given to the Merc.
    Use the cheap items for a rustbucket because you will lose him.
    Anyone caught using Astreon's Iron Ward (Unique Caudaceous) this way should be Smacked.
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/...ms-for-making-iron-golem.614654/#post-6072346

I like that bobcox guy

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  15. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

One Big thing About IG is your play style
    +3 Pgems and you are good if you play him like Jackie Chan

and use what you kind find against the opponent you face. Clay is always slow , IG gives control but don't build and count on multi-games because you will not want the same guy. Every Game