Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Latest thoughts on faster playing

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JKS, Aug 20, 2010.

1. JKS

JKS Diabloii.Net Member

Latest thoughts on faster playing

In my experience muling slows down finding by much.
    So to cut down muling I have decided on the following:
    - no blue items pick up
    - no rares pick up
    - no set or unique pick up unless for the grail
    - no gems pick up unless rubbies and amethists
    - no runes pick up - el-nef, shael-lum
    - no gold pick up besides the what is required for merc ressurecting
    - no items for sale taken to town
    - no socketables pick up unless the 7-8 right bases for the runewords you want to make
    - no keep of charms, unless: 7%mf, sharp, shimmering, fast run, vita or +skill
    As soon as you get a decent runeword for a weapon, no rares or blues can compare. As soon as you have Highlords, Goreriders, CoA, Gryphon eye, Fortitude, Dracul, LoH and such, rares or blues are downgrade.
    From crafting you only need 1 Blood ring and 1 +skill resists caster amulet. As soon as you craft these - no gems at all and no runes below Ko.
    I know that if you keep picking up gems, low end runes and low end charms has some benefits, but the time required is too much and it slows down your high end rune and uniques finds. At the end of the day your char will be weaker.

2. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

Re: Latest thoughts on faster playing

That's like giving up on ever finding that godly rare or that fortunate ring of fortune blue ring with more MF than nagels. I could not get myself to do that in a million years.

Sure, your version is faster, but i would never be able to live with the what-if's.

3. JKS

JKS Diabloii.Net Member

The fortunate ring of fortune has no use in itself, it is used to find other items. Insteadt of looking for it, you can just use nagels (or a crafted ring with mf which you will get anyways while trying to craft a decent blood ring), and at the end of the day you will have more uniques.

By a godly rare you mean weapon I guess, because no godly rare shield can compare with HoZ, Exile, Phoenix, SS and more. Same goes for all other armor.
    To be really godly, you need to be the right base. So you can pick up war axes, nagas, berserker axes and 3-4 other weapons, but leave all rest.

4. Ojimijam

Ojimijam Diabloii.Net Member

I have a similar view to JKS. the only blues i pick up are circlets etc and monarchs (just in case :p). I think rares are often worth having a peek at, any good base weapons (remember they are now cheap to upgrade), fast claws belts, boots, gloves and jewellry can all be really useful/better than set and uniques.

I still trade in pgems so they are useful as well, though non-crafting runes get left behind (same with common useless uniques). Gold used for gambling, and i see no reason fo keeping charms i will never need (either for main characters or twinking)

5. frozzzen

frozzzen Diabloii.Net Member

- no blue items pick up Pick blue circlets, coronets, tiaras, diadems, some claws, Monarchs and some others I could name. Ring and amulets are not worth picking in my opinion as keeper is one in 50 000. Still, they can spawn rater nice.
    - no rares pick up That is just wrong. x 1000. Rares are probably best items you can get. Only thing that I don't pick from rares are barb helms, armors of all kinds, shields and some weapon types. PICK RARES! i can't stress this enough.
    - no set or unique pick up unless for the grail Or are useful. I wouldn't leave Tal's armor on ground :wink:
    - no gems pick up unless rubbies and amethists I pick every gem except flawed ones. I wouldn't agree with you on this matter.
    - no runes pick up - el-nef, shael-lum Agree. You can get them in couple of Countess runs, but I pick most of them cause they are pretty orange..
    - no gold pick up besides the what is required for merc ressurecting Agree. If you need gold, set Travincal GF barb and you will have everything you need.
    - no items for sale taken to town Unless you picked them as potential rare that could be good.
    - no socketables pick up unless the 7-8 right bases for the runewords you want to make There are actually ton of socketables worth picking.
    Imbue stuff - eth CS/DB, Greater/Runic Talons, Circlet/coronet/tiara/diadem
    And yes, bases for runewords.
    - no keep of charms, unless: 7%mf, sharp, shimmering, fast run, vita or +skill More or less. There are some that are useful besides those - 11 LR/FR small charms are always handy, and there are some dual affix charms that are just great. (Pestilent small charm of Anthrax anyone?)

Just pick stuff. There's nothing wrong with slightly slower play (my my I'm getting old). It won't be funny when old prophet lady takes a look in her glass ball and tells something like "trolololol!! you didn't pick JMoD noob" :p

6. HappeningKT

HappeningKT Banned

That would be fine if u like playing with perfect items. I like using wierd items and skills. For example if you want to play a hunger bear all the unique weapons become near useless(even those which are useful have apretty high req lvl). And enchant/energy shield prebuff staffs/orbs; jewellers runic/greater talons of quickness for ursa major etc.

As u can see, its not just about effectiveness for many, it is more about fun.Even if it is about effectiveness, there is a chance,slim but still there is a chance of finding godly rares/blues which can overpower uniques. So it depends on personal opinion to leave all those rares and blues or not.

7. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

Here´s my untwinked, single-pass strategy:

* Pick up everything worth at least 40 gold per inventory space.

:jig:

Sure, it takes a very long time to play my characters, but I feel like I would be cheating them out of options and/or leaving them weaker as they could be if was slacking with the resource gathering.

And the though of moving items between character or playing an area more than once per character and difficulty would just be...wrong for me.

8. JKS

JKS Diabloii.Net Member

What can spawn on magic circlet that can be better than Shako, CoA, Gryphon? I can't think of anything.
    For Monarchs probably you are looking for Jewelers of the Whale, ok, that might have use.

Please give me an example of a godly rare belt, that would make me replace Arachnid, or amulet that would make me replace Highlord's.
    For rare weapons - max 4-5 types, and still dubious. Can you reach 20K zeal damage with a rare? Can you beat Windforce?

Of course for certain specific builds some weird items are required - then by all means you will look for them. But for general play - runewords+uniques (and some sets) cannot be beaten.

9. Thomh

Thomh Diabloii.Net Member

+2 Class skills/+3 Skill tree with 20 FCR. If you Larzuk those and get 2os, you are golden:) The problem with your method is that you will get all those uniques and runes eventually (more or less), and you will start looking for even rarer stuff, so why not do it right away?

Jewelers of Deflection is the dream, but of the Whale and several other suffixes are great too.

10. JKS

JKS Diabloii.Net Member

It looks like that those circlets are for a caster. Most casters (zon and asn for sure, but also plenty of sorc) use lightning. (Especially with Infinity). So a Gryphon has more FC, more damage, and it has + 1 skill. With circlet you are gaining 1 skill and 1 socket, but loosing damage and FC. Gryphon still wins. May be a hammerdin only can benefit from such a circlet and not by much.

I play mostly SP and I do not trade, so I do not have use of 20 Tal armors, as soon as I pick 1 or 2, thats enough. Of course on BNet is a completely different story, when you can make use of every good item via trades.

11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Diabloii.Net Member

To me, this almost sounds like giving up on the whole game. I assume, if you're after the grail, you have one or several highly efficient builds already. So what do you do? Playing chars that more or less rush through everything and, while doing so, basically not picking up anything, where ist 'the game'? Sounds like hours upon hours of mindless grinding to me, without any highlights whatsoever, until once in a blue moon the one item drops that you do not already have.

I do understand the need for spending the time you have as efficiently as possible though. Only for me this, what i think, very, very, very radical approach :) is so over the top that i'd be bored to death after about 10 minutes. Missing the 'highlights', or the chance for those, i'd soon sit there and ask myself: What's the point? Not having fun here...

12. JKS

JKS Diabloii.Net Member

Just because I had many many many chars in 1.10 (like Patriarch with almost any complete set), I do not find much fun in building another char.
    What I do is having my 5 highest chars (zon, sorc, barb, necro, pal - one of each) and try to level them as much as possible, while self finding the top runewords and uniques for them. If I get bored with their build, I would respec.
    On my "To Find" list I have:
    3 Ohm
    3 Lo
    3 Ber
    and about 10-15 uniques.
    All this items will improve my chars by a lot and finding them will take quite a while.
    Actually I think it will take all my gaming time until D3 when all other games will become useless :)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  13. HappeningKT

HappeningKT Banned

Well, I play HC self found and I luv to take any number of Tal's armors :p

Cold sorcs, windys and PnB necros :)
    And several circlets beat shako for trapsin. (Griphon's is bad for trapsin btw).

And when it comes to belt and ammys (especially ammys), rares can get much more attractive than the uniques. I remember there being some thread where several godly rares were displayed (pardon my laziness).

14. Frowzor

Frowzor Diabloii.Net Member

Actually, no. Seriously, fire and cold sorcs do exist. Dual-tree sorcs exist that want their other tree to get more than +1 skill and fcr. A teleporting windy druid or poison/bone necro will never use griffon's. And since apparently you don't know, trap assassins don't benefit from the +%lsd and -%elr on griffon's at all, so that would be a terrible choice there.

And just to add, rare boots are basically the be-all and end-all of boots. Sure, MF'ers want War Travs, melee likes Gores, but almost every other character wants hypothetical "30FRW 40LR 40FR 40CR 10FHR +DEX/MF/PLR". Rare boots are potentially the best boots in the game by far. Rare rings are important to pick up so you can get good leech rings for melee and fcr rings for casters. Uniques don't really replace either of these, unless you seriously want to take your Grief/Grief/Fortitude/Highlords barband give him a manald heal.

15. JKS

JKS Diabloii.Net Member

I didn't know that Gryphon eye doesn't work with trapsin. That's very useful info, thanks.
    I have 2 druids - a bear and a wolf, but never played elemental, so I didn't thought about that one too.
    So it seems that some circlets can be valuable for specific builds. (I would still simply use Shako but anyways). Wouldn't it be more time-efficient to get them from gambling with a GF barb? I mean instead of picking up every magic circlet while questing, you simply run or Trav runner, get hundred of thousands of gold and gamble? Also wouldn't it be better a rare with +2 to all skills and all other goodies, than a magic with + 3 to a specific tree? To me the advantage of an extra socket on a magic does not outweighs a rare with like: +2, FC, FRW and a couple more nice mods.

So MFers and Mellers use uniques boots (personally i like Silkweaves/Marrowalks for casters), so who else is left to use rares? Do you have any problems with resists, especially BNet players? With Anya quests, Torch and Anni, you are already at resist all 70%, barbs and paladins are at 110% (NR or class specific shield), and everybody is using some shimmering charms of something. Actually on my chars, the resists are too high, because of MF charms that have resists as a second mod (I am slowly replacing them with fine small of good luck). 30FRW on rares doesnt give any advantage compared to uniques. I really see no point of using rare boots.

16. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard Diabloii.Net Member

JKS seems to think we're all playing the same way he is. We're not. We play under different rulesets and styles. He's got essentially everything he would need and is only looking to complete his grail. That's great. Others are talking about playing with different goals in mind. That's great too. The problem here is when people start picking at each other for playing wrong, or making choices that are different from their choice. That's combative for the sake of being combative.

I personally reset long before I get to the point where JKS is. I like finding useful items, and at his level, there are very very few items that meet that definition. You could play for days before you find something that you'll pick up. By reseting, or starting fresh, more common items like Viper Magi or even Sigon's gear become "neat-0" again. Right now, I'd kill for an Arm of King Loric... even though I've found several in the past and have them in archived stashes. It's just not dropping for me on 1.13's playthrough.

JKS isn't wrong. He's just playing with different rules from me. I'm not better because I'm enjoying myself... he's probably enjoying himself just fine. He'd whoop my butt in PvP if I ever was foolish enough to try.

17. JKS

JKS Diabloii.Net Member

I most certainly do not think that there is such thing as a right or wrong playstyle. (Most people will go crazy if they see the way my daughter plays, but she enjoys the game and that is all that matters).
    If I offended anyone with my criticism, I do apologize. I do not find anything wrong in people showing me that their point of view is different.
    The purpose of my post was to see if I am missing something in making my chars/runs better (from my point of view) and I got some useful info. I hope it was informative for others too.

18. Frowzor

Frowzor Diabloii.Net Member

No big deal, I for one am not offended. Just having a conversation here.

Rare boots are good for characters that like to not die, which I would have thought you would understand if you play HC. But even in SC, there are uses for them. PvPers would love to have those boots. If you don't PvP for whatever reason (I don't because I have to use satellite internet to avoid dial-up, and my ping is terrible even so) you'd want them if you're trying to get to 99 (dying = weeks of work to make up the XP) or just plain running at higher /players settings with dangerous areas like Baal or CS runs.

With regard to gambling: maybe. I've got this fresh in my mind since I actually have been gambling circlets and coronets since yesterday, and I've spent about 100 million gold so far on them. Can you get godly circlets gambling? Yes. I've gotten one semi-godly circlet out of 100 million gold:

Code:
    Hierophant's Circlet of the Magus 
    Circlet 
    Defense: 25 
    Durability: 35 of 35 
    Required Level: 67 
    Fingerprint: 0x5c7bde22 
    Item Level: 94 
    Version: Expansion 1.10+ 
    +2 to Druid Skill Levels 
    +20% Faster Cast Rate 2 Sockets (0 used)

That's post-Larzuk. I've gotten a lot more that could have been great if they'd rolled slightly differently, but that's the only really good one. Also, gambling for circlets is different from gambling for amulets. First, they cost a lot more so you get much fewer opportunities for a good roll for time invested gold-finding. Second, and this is far more annoying, they don't always show up on the gambling screen like jewellery does. When you've got to refresh the gambling screen five or six times to get a single circlet, and it's probably just +5 life or something anyway, that gets boring fast.

It's still a useful pursuit, and you can definitely still get get blue circlets/coronets much faster than LK or Trav runs, but those options have the opportunity for other drops. Having spent all this time gambling them, I'm even more committed to picking up every blue one I see, because if I'm running an area and I see a blue circlet drop, it'll take me 3-4 seconds to pick it up and ID it maybe. It's already there, why not check it? If I'm gambling, it might take 10-15 seconds to force one to spawn in the gambling screen (and that's not even adding time spent on council runs for gold). So in my opinion it's still very time efficient to check them wherever they drop.

Sorry if that was tl;dr, just my take on it while it's fresh in my mind.

19. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia Diabloii.Net Member

I like to pick up stuff. Lots of stuff. Even if its pointless, picking up stuff is fun. What's the point of going faster if you miss all of the fun. :nod:

- no blue items pick up (Plus charms because charms are blue after all...) There are many many useful blue items. Circlets, certain claws, orbs, barbarian helms, druid helms, small/grand charms, monarchs and sacred targes are all things that can be great.
    - no rares pick up :no: Good rares are extremely uncommon but they are in many cases the best items in the game. Rare body armor is always terrible; the same with shields. Boots are very nice along with circlets and interesting base weapons. I don't like belts or gloves, but they can be pretty good. Crafted gloves and belts are better though.
    - no set or unique pick up unless for the grail I don't care about the grail but I collected every unique just for fun. My ~100 venom wards want to speak to you out back. :p
    - no gems pick up unless rubbies and amethists It is good to have a range of gems available for when you want to cube runes but beyond that flawless gems are amazing. If you want smexy charms then you need thousands upon thousands of pgems.
    - no runes pick up - el-nef, shael-lum Before I switched to colour-rune-mod I picked up all of the pretty red runes. As soon as I could make them white again I lost the temptation to pick up any more low runes to add to my stack of 1500 El's. As of now, with 1.13c, I would pick up Rals, Tals to cube to Rals, and Ko+ so I agree with you.
    - no gold pick up besides the what is required for merc ressurecting Unless you are gold finding in travincal or waiting between Baal's waves with nothing better to do there is really no point in picking up gold.
    - no items for sale taken to town See above -- gold is worthless. Even if you are goldfinding you will pickup bigger piles than you get by selling anything. Don't bother. Ever. (Unless untwinked - then pickup everything and have a ball.)
    - no socketables pick up unless the 7-8 right bases for the runewords you want to make Spare socketables are good. You never know when you will want to make leaf but discover that you don't have any two-socket staves. This and holy thunder are basically what kicked my plans to have fun with the runeword grail in the 'nads. :crazyeyes:

After all that: it's a game - play it the way you want to. :thumbup:

20. jjscud

jjscud Diabloii.Net Member

Wow JKS, you're sure picking up a lot of stuff. But I'm certain people here would freak if they knew just how little I pick up these days (and by "these days" I mean the days that I do play d2).

I think I may have muled stuff off once last MFO.