Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Last throes, eh?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AeroJonesy, May 31, 2005.

1. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Last throes, eh?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/30/cheney.iraq/index.html

Well as happy as I am to see a final date sort of set, there's two things that bother me. First, why does it seem to coincide with the end of Bush's presidency? And second, how is it in its "last throes" when apparently it's only half over?

2. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

(Speaking about Iraq here)

The Bush administration seriously thinks that terrorism will stop at some certain time in a place (Iraq) that was occupied based on a lie? When you conquer (yes conquer) someone's country on false premises you better be ready for a very very very very long period of terrorism/civil unrest, sure as hell longer than a few years.

3. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I'd sooner trust a Sith lord than Cheney when he talks about the state of the enemy.

4. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Time will tell. Half over can only be determined in hindsight.

5. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

Exactly what I was thinking.

6. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Agreed - even if I'd like to believe the content, there's no way to be making such blue-sky predictions. If Cheney was attempting to be accurate, he should have said things along the lines of 'elimination of organized opposition' or 'existence of internal agitators' rather than just the "insurgency" tags. He's probably trying to buoy the ratings - you could have jerkoff's bombing police stations for years to come.

I <do> believe that Al Quaeda's organization is on the ropes, but the insurgency never had great leadership coordination to start with. Heck, they were probably the most organized before the start of the war - ya know, when people claim they weren't even in Iraq :-D The last 'plateau' I bet they had was when the old Baathists weren't given new jobs - between having to watch their backs and the popular support steadily drying up, there's less places to hide than ever before.

7. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

NOt to mention the new Iraqi police forces, merv. I just thought this "timetable" or estimate at least seemed a bit suspicious. I agree on trying to buoy the ratings though. Bush is at an all-time low I believe.

8. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

And I came into this thread believing that the world had finally realized that Cheney has been dead for the last 6 years and is a robot.

Damn.

On topic, I doubt that is a valid fact.

9. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

George, I am your father.

He is more machine now than man, twisted and evil.:rolleyes:

This is more political spin nonsense. An insurgency can't be in its final throes if its end is more than two years away. True, they are getting desperate but that only makes them more dangerous and far less predictable. It's impossible to get a real working time table for their demise.