Last throes, eh?

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Last throes, eh?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/30/cheney.iraq/index.html

cnn.com said:
Iraq insurgency in 'last throes,' Cheney says

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 Posted: 3:50 AM EDT (0750 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The insurgency in Iraq is "in the last throes," Vice President Dick Cheney says, and he predicts that the fighting will end before the Bush administration leaves office.

In a wide-ranging interview Monday on CNN's "Larry King Live," Cheney cited the recent push by Iraqi forces to crack down on insurgent activity in Baghdad and reports that the most-wanted terrorist leader, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, had been wounded.

The vice president said he expected the war would end during President Bush's second term, which ends in 2009.

"I think we may well have some kind of presence there over a period of time," Cheney said. "The level of activity that we see today from a military standpoint, I think, will clearly decline. I think they're in the last throes, if you will, of the insurgency."

Cheney was among the Bush administration's most forceful advocates of the U.S.-led invasion in 2003. Bush, Cheney and other top officials said war was necessary because Iraq was maintaining illicit stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons and concealing a nuclear weapons program from U.N. weapons inspectors and could have provided those weapons to terrorists.

No banned weapons were found after U.S. troops deposed Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein's government, though U.S. inspectors said Iraq was concealing some weapons-related research from the United Nations.

Nevertheless, Cheney said he was "absolutely convinced we did the right thing in Iraq." He said the United States was making "major progress" in Iraq, where a transitional government took power in April and was working on drafting a new constitution.

"America will be safer in the long run when Iraq, and Afghanistan as well, are no longer safe havens for terrorists or places where people can gather and plan and organize attacks against the United States," he said.

Saddam's government collapsed in just three weeks, but a persistent guerrilla campaign against U.S. troops and the fledgling Iraqi government has lasted more than two years. The number of U.S. troops killed in the conflict now tops 1,650, and estimates of the number of Iraqi deaths range into the tens of thousands.

Since the conflict, the Jordanian-born Islamic militant al-Zarqawi has been blamed for dozens of bombings that have left hundreds of people dead. Reports emerged last week that he had been wounded in combat -- but in an audiotaped statement released Monday on militant Islamic Web sites, a man claiming to be al-Zarqawi said the injury was minor. (Full story)
Well as happy as I am to see a final date sort of set, there's two things that bother me. First, why does it seem to coincide with the end of Bush's presidency? And second, how is it in its "last throes" when apparently it's only half over?

Omikron8

Diabloii.Net Member
(Speaking about Iraq here)

The Bush administration seriously thinks that terrorism will stop at some certain time in a place (Iraq) that was occupied based on a lie? When you conquer (yes conquer) someone's country on false premises you better be ready for a very very very very long period of terrorism/civil unrest, sure as hell longer than a few years.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Amra said:
Time will tell. Half over can only be determined in hindsight.
Agreed - even if I'd like to believe the content, there's no way to be making such blue-sky predictions. If Cheney was attempting to be accurate, he should have said things along the lines of 'elimination of organized opposition' or 'existence of internal agitators' rather than just the "insurgency" tags. He's probably trying to buoy the ratings - you could have jerkoff's bombing police stations for years to come.

I <do> believe that Al Quaeda's organization is on the ropes, but the insurgency never had great leadership coordination to start with. Heck, they were probably the most organized before the start of the war - ya know, when people claim they weren't even in Iraq :-D The last 'plateau' I bet they had was when the old Baathists weren't given new jobs - between having to watch their backs and the popular support steadily drying up, there's less places to hide than ever before.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
NOt to mention the new Iraqi police forces, merv. I just thought this "timetable" or estimate at least seemed a bit suspicious. I agree on trying to buoy the ratings though. Bush is at an all-time low I believe.

Raistlin Majere

Diabloii.Net Member
And I came into this thread believing that the world had finally realized that Cheney has been dead for the last 6 years and is a robot.

Damn.

On topic, I doubt that is a valid fact.

Necrolestes

Diabloii.Net Member
George, I am your father.

Raistlin Majere said:
And I came into this thread believing that the world had finally realized that Cheney has been dead for the last 6 years and is a robot.
He is more machine now than man, twisted and evil.:rolleyes:

This is more political spin nonsense. An insurgency can't be in its final throes if its end is more than two years away. True, they are getting desperate but that only makes them more dangerous and far less predictable. It's impossible to get a real working time table for their demise.