Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

laser eye surgery

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by sensei, May 17, 2005.

1. sensei

sensei IncGamers Member

laser eye surgery

im sick of my glasses and contacts are too much of a hassle to use them so i was thinking about laser surgery. i guess its not too expensive, from 1k-1.8k. its a quick procedure with results almost imediate. im just concerned your eyes will go back to being bad. i know a guy that had the surgery and now has to wear glasses agian, im not sure what caused it since i dont speak to him alot.

i just want to know if anyone had this done and your expierances.

2. Lostprophet

Lostprophet IncGamers Member

My Mom had it done several years ago to great, great success. She was told that her eyes were perfect candidates for the procedure, and it went down without a hitch. Before the surgery, she was legally blind (without corrective lenses, of course)(20/400 or something riduculous like that). But now, she can see something like 20/15 (or so it is claimed). It took her a couple of weeks to adjust to it, and she said that at night lights had rainbow-halo things around them for about a year, but since then it's been all roses. I have no idea if I used that correctly.

So yeah. There's that. I don't personally know anyone who's had their eyes made worse by it, but it does happen. But they'll tell you the risks involved, and whether or not you're very likely to experience complcations.

Good luck :).

3. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

Lostprophet, in your mum's case, what was the exact procedure that they used? If you are willing to share of course :)

4. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

As soon as I am old enough/have enough money to afford it, I will get it. I have bad eyesight, I'm like -3.75 and -4.00 on my lenses, and the eye that needs -4.00 has astigmatism too. I can correct it with contacts, but they are real annoying during allergy season.

5. Lostprophet

Lostprophet IncGamers Member

The one where they.... shined a.... laser... into her... eyes?

Er, obviously I'm not exactly sure, heh. I'll do a little inquiring when I get a chance.

P.S. Good to have you back and posting, sir.

6. hulla-hop

hulla-hop IncGamers Member

ive had Lasik surgery done to my eyes and ive never ever regret it. it hurt for like 4-5 hours, then i slept and when i woke up my eyes was fine. i can only recommend doing it, but go somewhere trustable

7. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

i have heard that such laser eye surgeries are safe and also have a very good effect but don't have a relative or a friend who ever done it

8. Suicidal Zebra

Cheers matey :D

I only ask (for those interested) because the Lasik treatment involves the (and this makes me cringe) lifting of a flap of tissue over the cornea of the eye. Plus, the recommended post-operative care states that you shouldn't rub your eyes for around 2 weeks (nigh on impossible for me).

The Lasek system seems to be less invasive, being based around the softening of the tissue above the cornea and then 'folding it aside', a process which interests me greatly.

(details taken from http://www.ultralase-eye-surgery.co.uk/_Ultralase/content/CGI_Built/100/lasik_lasek.htm)

I've got a very similar prescription to AJ, even down to a slight astygmatism in one eye (cue Twilight Zone theme), and have been looking at laser treatment for a little while. However without some personal testamony there is no way i'll be getting it done, not matter how interested I am. The idea of having any op on my eyes done without being knocked out first just makes me cringe too much :D.

I think either Darkness or Draconis had it done a couple of years ago. With luck the right one will be along and post his (detailed) experiences.

9. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy IncGamers Member

I know someone who had eyes surgery because of a glaucoma of both eyes.
    She had become almost blind.
    If she had waited for longer,she would have become blind,and then there would have been no more solution to cure her.
    The surgery was fast and she was out of hospital a few hours after.

Doing surgery or not depends on what you have and your age.If its a glaucoma, you had better do it otherwise you can become blind.If its a minor flaw of the eyes,it doesn't really need it.Besides surgery is always risky,not every eyes surgery can succeed,and if it fails,its too late.I also know someone who had bad eyes surgery..and the damage to her eyes coul not be repaired

10. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

I would love to do this, but I'm not sure if I would be able to. The idea makes me weak in the knees.

My prescription isn't nearly as bad as AJ or SZ, but -1.75 is bad enough that without my glasses on the text on the computer screen starts to get blurry.

Glasses irritate me to no end, and contacts are damned expensive for me to be coughing up for constantly.

That said, I think I'd still have to wait a while to do it. My eyes are still getting progressively worse every year (they usually get about .25 worse every year or two and have been for the last several years), and from what I understand I'd have to wait for my eyes to stabilize before doing it.

11. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy IncGamers Member

I would have done the surgery if I had astygmatism,the benefits are so good compared to the inconvenience of having to protect one's eyes for weeks,but that's just me and my eyes don't have any flaw.

12. AeroJonesy

Lucky, I can't even see some of the text on the computer screen. :-\

I know a bunch of people who had it in Venezuela. It was the place to do it, because apparently it was really cheap, and the doctors were good. I don't think I heard a single bad thing about it, even being around so many people who had it done. I think the biggest risk is paying all the money and still having to wear corrective lenses.

13. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

Your kidding right?
    The biggest risk is losing your eyesite completely. I do know a guy who was decently happy with contact lenses..but decided to have this laser surgery done. He is now clinicly blind. Seeing only 15% total eyesight. Hes barely 30, with 2 kids and had..I repeat had a good job. He stuck at home now doing nothing..becasue the dmg done is so bad..they werel ucky to be able to get him back to 15%
    So this will be the rest of his life...seeing blurred light, and learning to feel his way around the house.
    Trust me if your going to do this..get one eye done at a time. They are SUPPOSED to tell you this..but they never did him. Trust me, do it one at a time. And if the doctor says you cant..go somewhere else.

I wear contact lenses..and I'm planning on never doing this, period. I'd rather have a little aggravation as losing my eyesight. Tho not saying not to do the surgery..just take warning and concerns to the doctor..and talk about one at a time with him.

14. AeroJonesy

I meant other than the obvious side effect of permanent damage being done. Although that occurrence is low. It's like me saying the biggest danger about going to an all-you-can-eat Polish place is stinking up the car on the way home. Sure you could choke or have a heart attack, but those are sort of givens.

15. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

But serious man..talk to the doctor about doing one at a time. I mean your still getting it done, just at a slower pace. And keeping a forsure bet in your pocket in keeping good eyesight is always a good thing.

16. IIDX

IIDX IncGamers Member

this is all talk coming from my dad and his doctor.

The doctor stated he did a test on himself where he got surgery on the "bad" eye and within the next years his brain was able to function well with boths eyes...thats in terms of far/short sidedness. So when the doctor reads something his brain concentrates on his left eye to focus on reading which in turn "focuses" his right eye. When the doctor is driving his brain concentrated on right eye to focuses on road signs. The doctor also stated that even though his patients have surgery, by the time there 45+years old they still need glasses.

So the navy paid for my dads surgery. He got his bad eye fixed and eventually his brain focused on the better eye to differenciate far/short sidedness.

17. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

im at -2.75 and -3.00. i really hate my contacts and glasses sometimes. o.o it would be kind of weird adjusting though. and lasers are scary.

18. colony

colony IncGamers Member

Well ATM my prescription's -5.5/-6.0 so not exactly the best eyesight ever:rolleyes:

I tried contacts, and hated them, and only wear them when I have to.

As for laser surgery, I can't afford it right now, and even if I could I wouldn't want it, just because I'm quite happy with glasses (even if my so-called "ultra-thin" lenses are still quite thick). Having any sort of surgery done to me while I'm still concious makes my stomach go all weird and funny, and having a root canal done on 2 of my teeth was bad enough. I don't personally know anyone who's had it and really, even the (maybe) remote possibility of losing most of the sight even in one eye is enough to put me off.

I'll be wearing glasses and looking like the geek I know I am until I die :teeth:

19. AeroJonesy

I think getting them done one at a time is a great idea, actually. If I were to have it done, I'd most likely go that route, unless they've got some great new way to do it by the time I can afford it.

Besides if you like the look of glasses, you can always get your frames fitted with just non-functional lenses.

20. Suicidal Zebra

Plus, there's real justification to wear an eye-patch.

Yarrr!