Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

LARZUK ON CRACK or I do something wrong?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Josiphos, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Josiphos

Josiphos IncGamers Member

LARZUK ON CRACK or I do something wrong?

OK.

So I was trying to get a 5 socket axe so I could make Beast RW. I'm needing this for my necromancer, so it doesn't have to be in a zerker or anything.

I looked on Arreat Summit for what would be a low level, easy to equip axe that would have a max of 5 sockets. Turns out, such an axe is the Double Axe. I had a lower level character buy one from Anya (plain white Double axe, act 2 normal) and then I came and got it with my necro.

Take it to Larzuk, bang get FOUR sockets...I check the website again, no...it has a max of 5. Hmm. I figure maybe because Normal Diff Larzuk is only able to give a max of 4 sockets (hmm...remember that next time when trying to get 4os GMB...).

So, I buy another one...normal double axe, and give it to one of my incomplete NM chars and have him take it to NM larzuk...Bang 4 sockets again!

Is the website wrong? I seem to remember seeing Beast RW in a double axe...and I've used Larzuk to give 5os to a flail...so the website must be wrong, right? Which weapon should I look for to give me those 5 sockets? Arreat says, axe, scepter, hammer...any one made this RW in a non-berserker axe before?

Thx

2. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

You have to factor in the ilvl of the axe.

Since you bought it in act 2 normal it couldn't get 5 sockets.

(Anything found in hell should always get the listed number of sockets on arreat summit.)

3. Josiphos

Josiphos IncGamers Member

Darn. Forgot about that. So a double axe found in Hell should give 5 sockets. Ok Ill look.

Thx

4. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Details...

Merchants sell at a certain ILvl comparison of the character opening the trade screen first, capped at a certain level. Turns out dropped items can't get more than three, but - according to you, and to my surprise - purchased items don't abide by that rule. The item must still be ILvl25 or higher, if I'm not mistaken, to receive five sockets. I believe the cap in nightmare is either four or five, but it's safer just finding one in hell. I happen to have been lucky to have found a perfect dual superior ettin axe, but not enough to get the runes. So take your time and wait for it to drop.

5. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

When larzuk-ing items, socket caps are not counted (else it would be impossible to get more than three in normal). The ONLY thing that matters is the ilvl.

Take a crystal sword as example.
    Found before act4: 3 sockets, almost certainly.
    Found in late act4 or in act5 (before WSK): 4 sockets (ilvl is 25-39)
    Found in WSK lvl 2-3 or throne: Gets six sockets, because its ilvl is 40+

BTW, knowing this is one of the quickest ways to get a 4s eth crystal for a spirit sword when playing untwinked.

6. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Use this link to search for number of sockets (depends on base type and ilvl).

Ilvl = area level for regular monsters (who usually drop white items) alvl can be found in Strategy Compendium
    Ilvl = character level + 5 when the item is bought, but there are caps for normal difficulty vendors: 12 for act 1, 20 for act 2, 28 for act 3, 36 for act 4 and 45 for act 5.

7. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

No that's wrong, Normal Larzuk can give up to 6 sockets. It only depends on the iLvl of the item you give him :azn:.

8. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Hrus, remember that a monsters level is only based on the area level in NM and hell difficulties. It's not that easy in normal.

9. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Ah, yes, you are right... I forget the important things quite regularly...:undecided:
    Anyways when I wanted to get a 4-socketed flail, I looked into Atma and realized that normal cows are lvl28. This could be handy for searching for 4-socketed swords or flails...

10. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

I run a "test run" thread in the players matchup forums. We get together and pretend it's ladder reset, and try to get highlevel/rich/kill-capable characters as fast as possible, totally untwinked. This forum has taught me that without shakos, hotos, occys and vipermagis, there are some things that are very neat that can be obtained very quickly, by larzuking stuff.

- Spirit swords: Search cow level for a crystal sword, pref eth, and larzuk. Run NM countess to get runes for it.
    - Spirit palashields: 4s palashields start dropping in act1 NM, but any pala shield will get 4 sox from larzuk, no matter the ilvl.
    - Stealth armors: Tal and Eth are easily found on normal countess, so my characters usually have a stealth within the first two hours of play!
    - Rare circlets: It's the only thing I imbue, and by clvl 33 it is possible to get a +2 tree circlet by imbuing. Wait until clvl 83 to have a chance at +2 char skills.
    - Crafted caster belts: Easy 5-10%fcr here, along with mana and possible FHR, STR, life and other desireable affixes.
    - Crafted caster ammy: another easy 5-20%fcr. Mind where you get the amulet, tho. Crafting ammies is an art.

11. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Caster helms are also decent in a pinch for untwinked characters that need some mana leech (Javazon, WW Barb). Of course, once you get a Manald or an 'Insight' for your Merc, the helm becomes obsolete.

12. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

I must be missing something- why ethereal for a Spirit crystal sword? The only reason I can see is for the reduced requirements but the 43 strength requirement for a crystal sword really isn't much, particularly for untwinked play. The durability on crystal swords is low so having to worry about accidentally swinging at monsters enough times to wear it out would seem like more of a concern than the reduction in strength needed.

I find that gambling amulets is a good way of getting high enough ilvl amulets for crafting, at least playing untwinked HC when there is a good chance that your character level is higher than the area level of the furthest you've reached. But getting 20% FCR on an amulet requires exceptionally good luck- the best possible roll for the caster craft recipe AND getting FCR in addition, so I would't call 20% FCR easy!

13. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Ethereal is mostly for the resale value, and playing other characters after that first untwinked. Hammerdins don't like to spend a single point of strenght, remember. With the right spirits, caster belt, lore and vipermagi, you can play a hammerdin from lvl 30-ish to enigma/torch/anni-ish without trouble. Much the same for a sorc or necro.

the "mind where you get the amulet" part was aimed only to make people realize that it matters. clvl 82 and a ammy from hell baal is good for +2 skills. Sometimes, you don't want higher than ilvl 40 output, so that +2 class can spawn, but high rlvl stuff like life leech and BS charges cannot.

20%fcr is available on just about any caster ammy, all it takes is luck.