Laptop Cooling

masterazn

Banned
Laptop Cooling

Okay. So I've been bearing with the heat of my laptop thus far but I finally gave in. I blew $20 on an antec cooling pad thing, it's call a coolhub or something.

It sucks.

I don't know if the fans aren't spinning fast enough or i need an aluminium pad as opposed to this plastic one. The pad is smaller than my powerbook G4 15", so it's kinda weird.

Is there any way to tweak the fans hardware wise to kick up the RPM? It's USB powered, I haven't taken it apart yet to see how it works. Should I just get a new pad? If so, which one would fit my powerbook and cool it significantly?

-masterazn

WebDragon

Diabloii.Net Member
Okay. So I've been bearing with the heat of my laptop thus far but I finally gave in. I blew $20 on an antec cooling pad thing, it's call a coolhub or something.

It sucks.

I don't know if the fans aren't spinning fast enough or i need an aluminium pad as opposed to this plastic one. The pad is smaller than my powerbook G4 15", so it's kinda weird.

Is there any way to tweak the fans hardware wise to kick up the RPM? It's USB powered, I haven't taken it apart yet to see how it works. Should I just get a new pad? If so, which one would fit my powerbook and cool it significantly?

-masterazn
I went through this before, having to deal with the excessive amount of heat coming from the nether regions of my Alienware 5700. I bought an Antec cooling pad thingie, the aluminuim one. It was the most expensive one at the shop. It had 3 fans I believe. All it did is prop up my machine at an unstable angle so that it would constantly shift around while I was typing. It didn't do much else.

I never did find a solution for the heat problem before my mobo went bust, probably because of the heat. So my advice to you is, if your machine gets unreasonably hot, get it looked at. Its NOT normal.

WebDragon

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm sure it's not abnormal for my powerbook to do this. It just gets really hot when I play games or run a lot of powerhungry applications.

I stumbled upon this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000EVOP6A/ref=pd_luc_mri/002-5350703-2268023?_encoding=UTF8&m=A9B09ZK9BZJQ6&v=glance

Is it similar to the one you bought?
I just dug the thing out of the cupboard. It wasn't an Antec after all. It's this one. To its credit, it did operate quietly when it was on a low setting. I guess my laptop was just a bit over the top. The outer case did turn a darker shade of gray around where the hard drive is, which is quite a statment seeing as my laptop was dark grey to begin with, that's how hot it got.

oscarmk1

Diabloii.Net Member
I went through this before, having to deal with the excessive amount of heat coming from the nether regions of my Alienware 5700. I bought an Antec cooling pad thingie, the aluminuim one. It was the most expensive one at the shop. It had 3 fans I believe. All it did is prop up my machine at an unstable angle so that it would constantly shift around while I was typing. It didn't do much else.

I never did find a solution for the heat problem before my mobo went bust, probably because of the heat. So my advice to you is, if your machine gets unreasonably hot, get it looked at. Its NOT normal.
yeah i'll agree with that.

Babin

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually, I have an Antec laptop cooler and it does okay by me. I have the one you can see/buy here:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=antec+laptop+cooler&btnG=Search

Granted my laptop is a 14 inch Dell D610 Latitude, so it's business line, generally cooler running, and the graphics card isn't meant for gaming though I make it cooperate enough for NWN. I only use the cooler with NWN, actually, as that's the only time the notebook gets noticeably warm.

My recommendation, don't buy notebooks that run too hot in the first place, as there's no decent solution. Of course, if you already own a hot running notebook that's not very good advice, so I suppose I would look into doing things like underclocking your processor/graphics card (yes it can be done, a few Google searches will show you how). That, plus a notebook cooler (and frankly I don't think there's much difference between them as long as they are metal and not plastic) will hopefully help you out - plus, of course, don't run terribly taxing applications for prolonged periods.

masterazn

Banned
I own a PowerBook G4, the OG versions on the MacBook Pros.

That cooler is REALLY expensive...I also need a widescreen one. I think the coolermaster is the only widescreen one available...lame..

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Man, laptops that need extra cooling installed... shouldn't the damn thing be all set up and ready to go when you buy it?

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
My laptop gets hot, and it's not worth it to me to buy the cooling units. It's not as if they really do anything... they just pull the heat away faster. Your notebook will still get hot.

When I'm in class, I just stick a folder underneath it to keep my lap from getting too hot.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Granted my laptop is a 14 inch Dell D610 Latitude, so it's business line, generally cooler running, and the graphics card isn't meant for gaming though I make it cooperate enough for NWN. I only use the cooler with NWN, actually, as that's the only time the notebook gets noticeably warm.
I have the same one and it gets quite hot when I play World of Warcraft. I wonder if that thing you recommended would help me?

Babin

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: AeroJonesy, yeah it might. I mean, my notebook still gets a bit warm when I play NWN, but not quite as egg-boiling hot as it used to get after prolonged periods. That, and it cools down a *lot* faster after I close the game (that is, I usually leave the laptop and fan running at least another 5 mins after I'm done playing and by then the notebook is pretty completely cool). I think it's worth it, for the psychological comfort if nothing else.

And re: the pictures, wow that's a blast from the past. I still have that poster, too.