Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lance Barbs Still Viable in Classic

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Great_Evils, May 4, 2005.

1. Great_Evils

Great_Evils Diabloii.Net Member

Lance Barbs Still Viable in Classic

I've gotten way too bored from LOD, and was looking to go back to classic for bit. Last time I played classic, I remember lance barbs being fairly good throughout the game. Anyone if they are still viable, or should I just aim for a sword/sheild combo?

2. sisu-

sisu- Diabloii.Net Member

:0 try throwing baba... would be nice... ;) btw... can u imbue throwing axes or javelins?...back to topic dont know... good dam bonesnap is good to pvm and is cheap

3. Leohappy

Leohappy Diabloii.Net Member

One of the few things that I still remember from classic is the headaches that I had because of the terribly low durability of the Lance :p.

4. Inu

Inu Banned

1.10 made it impossible for Lance Barbs (or any kind of non-Berserk) Barb to function well outside PvP.

5. hottystarfish

hottystarfish Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, you can make a lance barb that will be a great success. i unlike many have never left classic. lance barbs though are hard to make without items. the items you need will have to be of to what you want your barb to turn out like. it you want a speeder for bvs (barb vrs sorc) or bvn you will have to create a speeder useing twitch or the other special armor. i have to go now school is over if you want me to keep telling you about them my acount name is MONAOKA or ROTFIST bolth are classic.

6. Great_Evils

Starfish, does your lancer do well in PvM? One of the main reasons I went back to classic is I got sick of people doing Baal runs with their bots, and half of the party not being able to help out.

7. Inu

Inu Banned

As I said above, Lancers doesn't do well in PvM.

8. Great_Evils

what did 1.10 bring which made barbs so useless?

9. Inu

Inu Banned

Let's see... Oh yeah, enemies got like 10 times there previous life or so. Try to make a Strafe/Multizon or a WW/Frenzy barb or perhaps even a Zealadin... These guys can't do **** in Hell 8p games PvM. Not even with a 300 damage Martel, 350 Strength and Rattlecage will a WW Barb be efficient in Hell 8p PvM...

10. Great_Evils

Bah....guess the classic gaming is over then.

11. Inu

Inu Banned

Yeah sadly... 1.10 killed Classic. I played some on an 1.06 Server but the fun isn't the same with all the small errors there...

12. fredsta54

fredsta54 Diabloii.Net Member

Um, lance barbs do great in pvm. Only problem w/ lance is the low durability. If you can get a nice lance w/ 75 durability it is very viable, although id take ancient axe// martel over it

Fred

13. Locke07

Locke07 Diabloii.Net Member

Ummm... 1.10 didn't ruin classic. 1.10 ruined expansion with all the "godly" rune words and you see cookie cutter builds and every one using bots. Classic is free of most of that; the best equipment for most of your builds are easily obtainable. While I will agree a barb is the most item entisive PvM char it isn't bad. A WW barb with a 200+ martel with some life and mana leach and average resitances can clear just about every where except Chaos due to Iron maiden. Even then a really good barb could clear Chaos. So 1.10 didn't ruin classic if anything it made is supperior to Expansion.

14. Immortality

Immortality Banned

amen brother, I've never left classic mainly cuz ive never bought expac...lol
    expac is still 20 bucks, still way outa my budget. Im savin up for a car :lol:

15. Great_Evils

Don't lances do more dmg than martels? And have better range? whats the advantage of a martel besides higher min dmg?

16. SwampBox

SwampBox Diabloii.Net Member

Im not sure. Season's ago I saw a Lance doing 301 damage, I dont know if Martel De Fers go that high.

17. fredsta54

fredsta54 Diabloii.Net Member

more avg damage, more durability, no dex requirement, less range=tighter ww which is more hits to ppl in its range. Smaller range than lance thougth so you hit less targets, but the targets you hit you hit more.

Fred

18. stanzaman

stanzaman Diabloii.Net Member

Lance Barbarians are still viable. They are not as godly as they used to be though. The low durability is going to be extremely annoying, and lances are slow so you won't be able to use Beserk to kill PI monsters as easily as a martel/axe barb. But you will be able to deal out lots of physical damage, and be effective in many areas.

By the way, a (godly) Martel with perfect 200% ED and +20 maximum damage can go up to 317. Though realistically, I would be plenty happy finding anything over 280 damage.

Sword/sheild is another dying breed. With the global physical resist, it just seems that they just don't deal enough damage. Though I still see them, and they are decent for choas runs. You could get by with enough crushing blow, I suppose.

Probably mace barbs are the most common now.

19. texaswolf

texaswolf Diabloii.Net Member

I have a lance barb around level 55 or so. I use some unique pike I forget the name of. I happen to have two of them so I have 50 durability with the two which decreases some of the headache of going to town and repairing every 5 minutes.

20. Great_Evils

Yea I decided to go with maces in the end, I'm about 26 now and very eager to get ww.