Lance 4 Seven???

IMCanadian

Diabloii.Net Member
Lance 4 Seven???

Lance Armstrong gave up his 55 second lead and the yellow jersey goin into the Alps. He said he was still goin for the seventh straight title before retiring. He says he will regain the lead on the home stretch, and that he just didnt want to push his team so hard goin through the Alps. I want to know what you think. Do you think Lance will take seven? Was it a mistake giving up the yellow?

[exile]

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't follow the race, and I don't know much about what happened. But I'm going to say that it's probably better to save the team's energy a bit. Keep them close enough to the front to make a comeback and they should be fine. The guy is a tank, I'm confident he can still pull through and get his seventh.

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm amazed that Lance even had the yellow jersey this early in the tour, he usually doesn't pull awa until the Alps. He's a climber, not a sprinter, and Stage 8 was just small mountains. In the next few stages, watch for Lance to start building a lead.

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
You know, the story of lance armstrong is an amazing story, but for some reason i just can't get myself to care. Is that wrong? I think I should care, but I just don't.

and what's the deal with the yellow jersey? I mean some other guy totally sweat all inside that thing...I'd wait til the last second to pull ahead so i didn't have to wear that thing. ewww.

[exile]

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, I was thinking about the sweatiness of the jersey too. I figured (or rather, hoped) that they had a brand-new jersey for each day of the race, just incase it switched hands that often.

Pier

Diabloii.Net Member
Unless Armstrong, or any of the real competitors have one giant off-day, the differences through the mountains will be minimal and it all comes down to the time trial on the last Saturday.

At least, that is Ulrich's plan.

The problem with Armstrong this year is, that his team seems a bit weak. He, of course, can still manage on his own, but any help is welcome.

We will see...

Grr pIER

DaviddeJong

Diabloii.Net Member
Armstrong will win, no doubt about it.

He was angry at his team for "letting him drift" on his own on saturday without any team-effort supporting his attempts to keep Vino and Ullrich with him. So his team is probably not in good form (yet), but they still are a strong side. Armstrong will take the "yellow" in the Alps and will win the tour for a seventh time in a row.

Oh... and: off course they change the jersey! Every team has their own "version" of it because of the sponsoring (Lance's jersey says "discovery" on the back).

David.

Kaysaar

Diabloii.Net Member
As far as Lance's chances - I think they're good. He's more or less where he wants to be: out of the sprinting stages without a crash. He's been as far back as seventh in previous years adn still pulled it off. His time will come in the next few stages, especially in the next two time trials.

And with the yellow jersey - everytime a new cyclist gets the jersey, they make a crap jersey for him to wear on the podium, and then overnight they make two high quality jerseys, one for him to wear in the tour, and the other as a keepsake.

Kaysaar

Diabloii.Net Member
And there you have it, Lance is back in yellow

Top ten after stage ten:

Code:
Place           Rider                   Team    Country   Time off the Yellow

1  	001  	ARMSTRONG Lance  	DSC  	USA  	
2 	057 	RASMUSSEN Mickael 	RAB 	DEN 	00' 38"
3 	021 	BASSO Ivan 	        CSC 	ITA 	02' 40"
4 	101 	MOREAU Christophe 	C.A 	FRA 	02' 42"
5 	038 	VALVERDE Alejandro 	IBA 	ESP 	03' 16"
6 	164 	LEIPHEIMER Levi 	GST 	USA 	03' 58"
7 	031 	MANCEBO Francisco 	IBA 	ESP 	04' 00"
8 	011 	ULLRICH Jan 	        TMO 	GER 	04' 02"
9 	014 	KLÖDEN Andréas 	        TMO 	GER 	04' 16"
10 	066 	LANDIS Floyd 	        PHO 	USA 	04' 16"

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
Lance Armstrong said:
God did not heal me - my own effort and work healed me. Everyone should believe in something, and I believed in surgery, chemotherapy, and my doctors.
Put that in your inspirational sport quotes book. -_-

Garbad

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah Lance has a tendency to be a little overstated at times. Even if he feels that way, it sounds pretty cocky to say, **** you God, I did this on my own.

SuggestiveName

Diabloii.Net Member
PatMaGroin said:
Yeah Lance has a tendency to be a little overstated at times. Even if he feels that way, it sounds pretty cocky to say, **** you God, I did this on my own.
I doubt God is going to notice or care.

Puck Nutty

Diabloii.Net Member
PatMaGroin said:
You're not really bragging if you speak the truth.

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
Puck Nutty said:
You're not really bragging if you speak the truth.
I am smarter than at least 99% of the world population. Bragging or no?

EDIT: I am willing to take any online IQ or intelligence test as proof. Pick and link me and I will link my score.

Garbad

Puck Nutty

Diabloii.Net Member
Garbad_the_Weak said:
I am smarter than at least 99% of the world population. Bragging or no?

Garbad
Webster's dictionary defines bragging as: 1) a pompous or boastful statement, 2) arrogant talk or manner.

Arrogant is defined as: 1) exaggerating or disposed to exaggerate one's own worth or importance in an overbearing manner.

So, if you can provide evidence of your intelligence, then I would say that you are not bragging, but merely stating a fact.

Lance made a statement that is backed by medical evidence. Since no evidence can be provided to prove God's involvement in his recovery then I say that he was stating a simple fact.

Personally, I find his statement refreshing. I'm a huge sports fan and am getting tired of hearing athletes give God or Jesus all the credit whenever they play well. How come they never blame God whenever they screw up?

Imagine that, an athlete standing up in front of the media and saying; "Jesus made me drop the ball, it's not my fault". :lol:

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
Puck Nutty said:
Webster's dictionary defines bragging as: 1) a pompous or boastful statement, 2) arrogant talk or manner.
What part of that says bragging must be untrue? A lot of boasting is true.

Garbad

Puck Nutty

Diabloii.Net Member
Garbad_the_Weak said:
What part of that says bragging must be untrue? A lot of boasting is true.

Garbad
Agreed. However, bragging by definition involves exaggeration. Nothing Lance said was an exaggeration.

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
Nothing I said was an exaggeration. I could pull a test or two out of my records if you were here. Since you aren't, I have offered to take any test to prove it.

EDIT: Haven't you seen that movie where the guy misses a pitch and he gets to go back in time and change it -_-

Garbad

Puck Nutty

Diabloii.Net Member
Garbad_the_Weak said:
Nothing I said was an exaggeration. I could pull a test or two out of my records if you were here. Since you aren't, I have offered to take any test to prove it.

EDIT: Haven't you seen that movie where the guy misses a pitch and he gets to go back in time and change it -_-

Garbad
Perhaps we misunderstand each other. I have not accused you of bragging. Since you are able to provide evidence of your intelligence, then you are not a braggart. You are stating the truth.

So is Lance.

Dirty_Zulu

Diabloii.Net Member
No way anyone can claim that.

Is there a score for all 5+billion people in the world? :rolleyes:

There ain't no evidence....