Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

LAN Problems (Setting up dual-router network)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by masterazn, Jun 5, 2005.

1. masterazn

masterazn Banned

LAN Problems (Setting up dual-router network)

Okay, I have come with details this time.

So here is my problem, I have purchased a new router to accomodate for my wireless needs. My current set up is simply a wired router with an internet hub (gateway). It goes like this:

Code:
    [INTERNET]--------[GATEWAY]---------[WIRED ROUTER]----------[COMPUTERS]

So that is all with wires. Now I need this to work:

Code:
    [INTERNET]----[GATEWAY]---[WIRED ROUTER]-----[COMPUTERS]
                                        |---[WIRELESS ROUTER]- - - -[COMPUTERS]

So I'm basically plugging in my wireless router (which also has ports in the back for wires) into one of the slots of my wired router. I don't know if this even works, Kow said it should be able to but I've no idea how. I googled it and it said some stuff about port forwarding which I don't know how to do and also, my internal IPs are all dynamic which according to the site makes this impossible.

Anyway, I have a D-Link DI-624+ wireless/wired router. I don't know how powerful this thing is, the guy at the store said that 108mbps is the most powerful and goes through walls but I was told that it wasn't industry standard and that I should stay away from 108mbps. So I got a 54mbps one, it's 802.11 b/g compatible. Would it be easier if i just replaced my wired router with this new one and let my wireless coverage be beamed from all the way down in my garage (which is where the internet gateway and router currently are)?

Any help is welcome! Thanks.

-masterazn

2. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Why do you have the gateway? I'm just curious, it makes more sense to go straight to your first router.

Try typing in 192.168.1.1 into a browser connected to your new router. You should be able to turn off dynamic IPs and such. I would try playing with the settings in there first.

Or you can just swap the routers, although you want to get it as high as possible.

http://www.dlink.com.cn/ That could help, online manuals and such.

3. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Doesn't the wireless router have wired ports on the back, just like a regular router?

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Yeah, he said he could just switch the two, but then his signal will probably suck seeing as it is in a concrete room below where he will normally use it.

5. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Hrm okay. So the problem is with the new router correct? I read that webpage and it said it would be like having two LANs, one under each router where the second would act as a computer to the first or something. It said I would need a different set of IP addresses and what not....is there any easier way to do this?!!?

6. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Did you try changing the settings with http://192.168.1.1 ?

Just plug a computer into the new router and turn off DHCP, that is all you should have to to do. After that you should be able to follow the instructions that came with it to set up the wireless network(pretty much just renaming it and adding a password)

I would help out more, but the instructions for that router only come in Chinese and Korean.

7. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

At one of the companies I consult for had a similar problem a few months ago. They already have a firewall router connected to their T1 line. The owner wanted to connect a linksys wireless router to their network. All I had to do, literally, was plug one of the 4 open ethernet ports of the linksys wireless router into the hub where the T1 router was also connected to. The wireless router then simply acted as a wireless access point. Of course you must ensure that the wireless router has an IP address that will make it belong to the network you are on.

8. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Raff,

You mean to say that I need to set up my router as though it were a computer right? Would it know how to manage the packets sent to it and send it to the other router?

Also, about encryption, it offers 64, 128 and 256 bit encryption...will a high encryption slow my internet?

9. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

If I understand you, no - instead, you're setting it up like a switch. You don't want two devices issuing DHCP addresses on your network without a whole lotta configuration skills.

That's what routers & switches do for a living. But you may want to read up on the documentation, regarding that port forwarding info...

Not so much as it would be an inconvenience. Would you prefer having freeloaders spying on your WAP, or give up a few microseconds for encryption?

I guess I forget why you simply can't switch the two routers' locations. You'll be far better off if you can eliminate one, since you <will> have a bit of extra overhead from routing everything twice. I don't know if your old router can be told to act like a dumb hub or switch, but that's really what you'd want...