Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

LAN play

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Tolano, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Tolano

Tolano IncGamers Member

LAN play

since my school does not allow me to connect to anyone outside of the school for some mp action me and my fellow d2 players want to get LAN games going. however the only option seems TCP/IP, which for some reason doesnt work, even though all other games with LAN work. is there a different way we could go about this? our computer guys are pretty useless so its not worth it to ask them to open the ports.

2. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure that LAN games and TCP/IP games use different ports. I know that on my connection at work ( :rolleyes: ) I can connect to battle.net just fine, but am unable to connect to other people's TCP/IP games. I believe that they have blocked the port.

3. killian27

killian27 IncGamers Member

tcp/ip is the only option you have... if you guys are all on the same subnet of the lan, you shouldnt have any problem... if there is a firewall between you and it is blocking port 6112 or 4000 you won't be able to play

try hosting a tcp/ip game on a pc, record that pc's ip address. go to the pc you want to join and try to ping that address (open a cmd prompt type ping (enter the ip address of the host pc x.x.x.x)

if you can ping it you should be able to join the game... if not then the port d2 uses is being blocked

also check the pc's you are using... some anti-virus and firewall software blocks pings and incoming traffic... hopefully you have the rights on the pc's to disable those softwares long enough to test

if your pc guys wont help they are teh lamerz bumz

one more thought... you could direct connect two pc's with a crossover ethernet cable and play

if the above doesnt work, reply back with the operating systems your using and any info you have about the lan setup (all pc's on the same floor of the same building or different buildings)

4. Tolano

Tolano IncGamers Member

all computers are in the same building, but there is only one connection for the building. i have not actually tried it, but this is what i have been told by my friends, of course they may have been playing through a hub or something. also one of them uses a mac so maybe that had something to do with it.

5. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

It's very very likely that your school has also disabled traffic on the ports frequently used for gaming. They really don't want you using their equipment for LAN parties. Most of the time, they know enough about computers to keep students from doing this.