Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lame cow-portal trapper alert.

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Baroni, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Baroni

Baroni IncGamers Member

Lame cow-portal trapper alert.

Just thought I'd give you all a heads-up on a certain individual I have spotted trapping the red portal to the cow level. I managed to escape the trap by the skin of my teeth (thx to BoS).

His account is *djpromo_utrech2 and the char he was playing was called hc_promo

After slinging a few abusive words his way, I stayed in the game and warned everyone who joined that the portal was trapped. Saved a few lives I think. When he left the game, I exited too and searched for him in another cow game. Sure enough, there he was in Cowx-06. In I went, but alas seconds after I entered, some poor unfortunate was slain by the Bovines.

Again I stayed in the game and warned all who joined that it was a trapped portal.

I hope there are a few of you PKK'ers out there who will teach this person a lesson. I have nothing against legitimate pk attempts, but this is just downright cheap.

2. BaNiSeR

BaNiSeR IncGamers Member

heh, there are lots of them, i lost a mid 70's amazon to some fools who trapped the red.

they go in, say its "2" then a minute or so latter say its "1" go in only to see nothing but cows...

sadly i didnt catch the account, bbut it was a different name

3. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

What are cows?

4. Chiller_babe

Chiller_babe IncGamers Member

I believe the official term for cow is :

1) Unminced Burger

or

2) Uncut Steak

Man I have food on my mind today:)

Chill

5. BreakThruX

BreakThruX IncGamers Member

Ugh, i lost my baba to one in nm cows...one guy tried getting us to set loot then kill us by trap and get the loot. I had about 900 life witrh no bo so i lasted for a good while but i pressed esc then options then i paniced and i was dead. There were like hundreds of them crammed in a corner. Well there goes all my gear. I started him again (throw barb) I lost a whistans, mosers , twitch, nice throw weps for leveling, 2 warcry dagger, and a rare 2 socket baba helm with 19 life and 2 to baba skills....:(

6. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

Oooooo, I usually go out in blood moor or take a quick wp and bo first, before I enter any red portal with a barb.
    Gives you an extra 0.5 seconds or so to save and exit if its trapped.

7. SnowDrake

SnowDrake IncGamers Member

This has only happened to me once, but I didn't die fortunately. It was in norm cows and my barb (throw barb) had about 500 hp, so the norm cows didn't do too much to him. I hit esc and exit as fast as I could, and I meant to rejoin the game and warn people, but it was full....

Don't know if people died or not...

8. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

Come on guys, who does cows anymore? There is only one reason to do them in each difficulty:

Norm: Level from 21 to 28 in 2 runs
    NM: Items a plenty
    Hell: Items a plenty

In the former cases, you want to do them in full games, and privately. At least I do. I mean, you go get the leg, you make the portal, and you risk your life going through the portal to begin with, you deserve to play it the way you want. Unless they invite you to cow with them (which I never do), you don't need to be going through the red.

I typically will join larger Act 1 NM games to cow and look for gems n such. I make the portal out of view of everyone (with a leg I had to go get in my own game because people refuse to save Cain nowadays), go through, locate a safer spot, TP to town, then go trap the red. Anyone who tries to come through without invite - POW. I did everything I could to say I was doing it privately, without being rude and saying I was fine by myself.

If you are level 42 in a NM game, what business do you have in the Cow area except to steal drops anyhow? Oh, you wanna level! How about leveling in areas that are more conducive with your char level? Ah! I see, you wanna get the most experience without doing any of the work! Then the portal is 1! Come through if you dare. Otherwise, go Baal run.

Although I get no ear for the kill, I wholeheartedly agree with the Trap PK... my game, my rules, survive the red and you've proven yourself.

I take screenshots of everytime someone takes the red that shouldn't, and I can't post them because the responses are a little, well, shall we say, unclean.

9. BreakThruX

BreakThruX IncGamers Member

I was level 40 and i leveled to 42 doing nm cows so i kept going...and i had nobody to rush me so what was i sposed to do? Besides, nm cows beats the hell outta norm baal.

10. Christopher Sin

Christopher Sin IncGamers Member

I don't know why, but the Act 3 temples and cow portal will sometiems spawn you right inside a pack of monsters. During one cow run, the red portal spawned RIGHT ON TOP of the Cow King, and I mean literally.

Even though my char. could tank those cows easily, it was a very sobering moment. :(

11. AnubisXy

AnubisXy IncGamers Member

This is why we don't join public cow games. Personally I have joined games like that just to laugh at stupid people who go through the portals. I mean, even taking that portal when you don't know the people in the game is an incredibly stupid thing to do. When I take someones portal, or a cow portal I fully understand the rammifications and realize that I could be instakilled. Whether a player trapped that portal or there happend to be a swarm on the red portal is irrelevant. I knew and accepted the risk, I like how conner thinks.

12. Mr.Bogohossian

Mr.Bogohossian Banned

from lvl 40 to lvl 50 ish. Nm cows give the best exp in 8player runs. Also the good drops possibilities. Gems/Charms/Jewels. No wonder its so tempting for ppl to join cows. Trapping Red is not a dirty trick in some sense. Say you are a weak char with sucky gears, lvl 80 ish, you cant really do hell runs. So you do some nm cows in 8player public. But you dont want other ppl to disturb you and come steal your drops. (etc same high lvls or stronger pvm chars) so you trap red, kind of selfish, but understandable as long as you say its 2 when ppl ask you.

ya i admit, just like conner, i trap red as well, just for the hell of it. if they dont ask and jump right in after seeing me in the party screen and gets slained. i will just warn the rest of them>>> "Cows are deadly" :surprise:
    For fun me and my friend made a normal cow game and my friend was lvl 1, he gets in get slained and when ppl joins and parites us, he says he's posioned in cows and hes gettin great drops... so ya we killed quite alot in one game, mostly lvl 10s though, so dont go 2 hard on me^_^.(pk??)

13. Eblocher

Eblocher IncGamers Member

Well Conner I have one reason for you:

Level 48 looking for CK boots! Darn thing just won't drop for me, 7 sanders so far. Now these are private, so I'm not messing you up, but just wanted to point out there Is a reason for doing them :>

14. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

Oh, I like the way I think too, AnubisXy.

And if you want Cow King boots, running into the Red when you're in a pubbie game is a sure way not to find them. Just remember, if you cannot kill a cow yourself, or survive a trapped red, then you should probably go do the Den. Anyone who is doing cows in a game that is NOT for cows more than likely (well, I'm 110% sure) does not want to see your level 42, 43, or 54 behind in the game with them.

I could be wrong, maybe some people like others tagging right behind them, just waiting on that set of Unique Greater Talons to drop, then run off with them. This actually happened to me in the first month of ladder, and I swore to kill all lower levels when public cowing via a trapped Red. Not that stealing drops is new or anything, but when it's the first month of a season, and you are poor, and some jerk steals, who happens to be a level 20ish in NM cows, you blow up.

15. davew2040

davew2040 IncGamers Member

Just in case this thought hadn't yet occurred to you, you're an idiot for attributing this behavior to all "lower levels".

16. kurg

kurg IncGamers Member

The only safe time to enter the red portal in pub is exactly when the first player goes through, if they are high enough level (sorc/javazon/necro) to deal with any cows that might be near.

So unless you see the portal made, and make sure nobody goes in more than 1 second ahead of you, then I don't take the portal unless I'm willing to lose my character. Often I'll take a lvl 3 or 4 char through just to find some stuff to sell for gold. If I die, no biggie.

17. Mr.Bogohossian

Mr.Bogohossian Banned

Go ahead and try to follow a bonecro in cows. He would love to see a bunch of cow-scared low lvls standing at red.

18. Baroni

Baroni IncGamers Member

How very big of you.

/squelch ConnerMacleod

19. Jedi

Jedi IncGamers Member

i dont want to comment conners replies but i share the general opinion.

its all about leeching experience for a majority of players.
    i looked my brother over his shoulder when he made cowruns in NORMAL. he was just lvl 4x which determins a good lvl to fight on your own in this area if u ask me ( but low exp gain) and trapped the red because some other guy always waited until he opens and jumped in to make the kills. after awhile it turned to be a really trap for a few more public players and i had a good laugh.

lvl1-10 chars entered the red portal in a public game(unpartied). i mean what can they do down there except leeching?well, u even cant leech at this stage instead only grab if something drops. dead-dead-dead-dead
    if this would create ears my brother would have catched my duel record in a few days. :winner:

in 8 ppl game nightmare u surely have to be higher than lvl 45 to go down there or the char has to be really good dressed. all who enter without beeing in party (which happens often) or are invited by a trap pker have to deal with the loss. it was their own fault.

personaly i only enter public games (unpartied) for my own exp and therefore enter with a prepared char to kill on my own in 8 ppl games. the general attitude stinks thats why i quited public questing a loooong time ago.
    i dont feel pitty even for people that i know from GAT and who are in my f list when they tell me they died in a similar public game.

fast exp is high risk.

i played some chars until now in ladder. my highest is lvl 92 sorc followed by a lvl 90 zealot. this is no big deal if u "leech" in publics but it has a value if u know for yourself u made it in private games with a maximum of 3 other players togehter with u.

my last thought is ... v1.10 started with a ladder season. its legitimate to hold others back while u search for exp/items a good laugh or whatever.
    i believe u see it too strict. its a roleplaying action game. somebody has to play the darkside ;) and there was no cheat involved in trapping red portals.

(btw a pkk cant catch him because its not possible to enter)

regards
    Jedi