Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

lag?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by DemonAbuse, Apr 30, 2016.

1. DemonAbuse

DemonAbuse IncGamers Member

just had my 2nd death due to lag issues lost my lvl 50 hc player , was running out of (50 percent speed mod from gear) a crowded room, i seemed to get out in time and safe, but before i got out the doorway the whole thing actually replayed and i was in the back of the room again, i tried to run but got stuck with an obstacle i couldnt see on my screen until i was dead. is this battle.net ? did my fast run walk add to the problem? seems to happen too often and my router is in the next room, showing excellent connection always.

2. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

It could be?

I don't know what to tell you. If you're choosing to play online, even the best connections tend to have rare moments where they get hit. In games like this, those rare moments are enough to get you killed if they happen at a bad time. It's entirely possible that your router was generally doing fine and this still happened.

Alternatively it could be something more complicated. I was playing a game once that had serious issues with my internet, not because my internet was bad, but because my data packets were being routed through some poor connection point around Montreal on their route to the game server. (I can't really explain the technical details, I'm not that much of a computer person, but I googled around for months and eventually figured out what the deal was.)

I'm not an expert, but I doubt faster run/walk would aggravate anything in either case.

Personally, I stick to playing D2 offline. If you're not playing it with other people and are having this issue, I'd suggest give that approach a shot. There's really no reason to do it online, if that's the case. You can always still go online to trade stuff with others if you want, or whatever. And you can use /players1-8 to simulate the difficulties and drop levels offline.

That said, RIP.

If you do start a new character, a tournament started over in the SPF just yesterday. Come join the fun!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  3. DemonAbuse

do you mean playing "single player" mode? are there any differences as far as items? in this mode? if i start in single i can use that charter online as well? how do you store your items without mules?

4. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

Yes, single player offline.

Have a look around the forums for specifics on what's allowed/not (in this community). Specifically, have a look around this thread:
    http://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/game-changes-help-thread-inc-atma-gomule.849306/

Basically though, you can go download Atma to store items. It lets you have infinite stash space, and transfer items between characters outside of the game. Otherpeople use GoMule. I can't speak to that one, but I'm sure it works well too.

By default the difference in items between online and offline is that some runewords (many, in fact) are disabled in single player. I guess Blizzard did this to encourage online play, but I always found it unfair and ridiculous. Espeically because when this game came out, online play wasn't completely standardized yet. I remember my personall beep-beep-boop-beep modem could barely deal with it, so I mostly just avoided it.

The good news, there's an easy work around that with another mod: Rune Word Mod aka RWM. Download that too, and you can be playing with infinity and insight and all the other fun toys.

There used to be a handy mod to color runes, but that's no longer really useful (Blizzard patched in colors at some point on their end). There's a few more allowed mods. Go play around the thread I linked you to and you can learn all about them.

Ladder only items will appear in single player, so no worry there. (Although the rare one's continue to be absurdly rare).

The downside to playing single player is that, while you can use any of those runewords, high runes are very difficult to get when you're just finding them yourself (and aren't involved in an economy of rampant duping that took/takes[?] place online). On the other hand, not being involved in an economy of duping is also a solid upside if you ask me.

I've literally almost never gone online so I can't speak much to using single player characters online. I know we have a healthy single player trading forum here though, so I'm sure it's possible on some level. Worst case scenario is that you can't use your specific character, but you could always just make a lv one mule, transfer the items to it via Atma or GoMule, and go online with that to trade. Then log off and mule the items back over to your charachter.

Edit: Fair warning - if you do install rune word mod etc and go online, I'm not sure if blizzard can detect it or not. If they can, it's probably technically against ToS. Atma I doubt they can check for.

5. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Yes, single player.

There are ladder only runeword, but you can download an update so you can make them. Only real difference is no ubers, but that's minor imo.

You can use your single player character to play with other single player characters through tcp/IP or open bnet. But I don't recommend open bnet as it is full of hackers. You can't play on regular bnet with that character.

There is a muling program, gomule, that allows you to mule items as much as you want (and far easier)

Check out the single player forum stickies for more information.

And you can always play characters on bnet as well, nothing you do that I've mentioned here or that you find in the stickies will get you banned.

6. DemonAbuse

I DL atma, and i can load a new character i made in single mode but I cant see the saved files for my online players when i click on us east folder everything is blank in atma. is it not possible to use atma to exchange items between single/ OPen battle net and battle.net closed online where all my mule characters have my stuff saved?

As soon i made i game open battlenet i noticed how much quickly i can move items in inventory now, and im still technically online, amazing the differance! i cant believe i was playing the on closed. since i only play by myself. now if I play online open b net, do I still need the mods? or am I better off staying offline altogether playing on single player and installing the mods?

val, when i successfully install rwm youre saying never go on closed b net agian? because they can detect it and tos me?

I tried to install rwm by itself, unzipped it from my browser but the runewords folder never appeared my d2 folder. should i find the new runewords folder and drag it in there? then mod the short cut?

7. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

I really have no guidance on using Atma with online/offline charachters together, as I've never tried.

Should you still play offline exclusively? Only if lag is an issue for you. That's what this was all about, right? If lag isn't bothering you, you have no reason to be offline. If lag is bothering you, you have (almost) no reason to be online (ubers would be the only real reason).

I'll take kestegs word on RWM if he says it's fine. I don't have a clue, and was just being cautious.

I don't remember how to install RWM as it's (literally) been a decade or more since I've done that. I guess you have to move it? If in doubt, google for directions. All I remember is it wasn't too tricky, so I'm sure you'll get it if I did.

8. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

There's no reason to play on open bnet if you play alone anyway. Just get rwm and you're good to go.

You won't find your us east characters in your save file as they're stored online. You will just have to start from scratch.

And if you have d2 installed in your program Files you should move it. It can cause permission problems, so install it directly to the drive. You will have to manually install rwm, there's nothing to install, you just put the files in the right place and change the shortcut.

And get gomule instead of atma. It's a much easier and nicer program to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. DemonAbuse

Few more questions so far.

If i have made " stealth" on single player does that mean i properly installed rwm?

I think im losing items go mule, do i have to save every time i make any changes?>
    is go mule only for use while the diablo program is closed?
    is there anyplace i may loo in go mule where those lost items may be going to?

Thanks to all that have be soooo helpful, my gameplay is so much better now that im offline