Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lag

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by THCMaster, Apr 8, 2004.

1. THCMaster

THCMaster IncGamers Member

Lag

Lately the lag has been damn freekin' annoying, I can only play the game for about 10 minutes before it slows down. Now I did see a D2 accelerator mod for download, and apparently it boosts the performance but I just wonder if Blizzard will ban me for using it. Obviously I won't be using it other than for reducing the lag if it even works to begin with. If they will ban me for using that accelerator, are there any other options, perhaps programs that they won't ban me for? I wouldn't ask but the lag is becoming a serious problem and ruining my D2: LoD experience.

2. sJw_shan

sJw_shan IncGamers Member

Just to let you know, any 3rd party program if detected will get Blizz on you. See if you can find out from users or the creator of the program if it's safe to use for online play. One option I've heard that will reduce some strain on the system is playing D2 in windowed mode. The game gets a little darker, but I believe it has been less of a strain on my comp when I played d2 in windowed mode. To try this, add -w to the end of your command line for your icon. Make a copy of your icon, and right-click on it and hit properties. Make sure the target looks something like this: Target: "C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" -w. Your command line might be different, but have the -w at the end, with a space between -w and the ". Hope this works for you, if the accelerator program doesn't. If worse comes to worse, perhaps upgrading ram on your computer might help. Not sure about your system, but it did for me.

3. THCMaster

4. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

If the lag is caused by your internet connection, that program will not help. If you have an older computer it might help.

5. THCMaster

no, this is the only computer that i do have. it has an Athlon processor and 34.5 GB just to give you an idea. my internet connection is Cable modem. My friend has a cable modem too...and a fairly new computer, yet he has no problem with the lag. I have been told that if you turn off all the sound completely that may help, but I have yet to understand what that has to do with anything.

6. PhsycoTimmay

PhsycoTimmay IncGamers Member

I believe it does, I used to get real bad lag in games, then I just turned the sound off. I havnt even heard D2 in about a year, I have gotten so used to it just being "quite".

I enjoy it....

But on the first note, it did seem to improve my lag problem a tiny bit :thumbsup:

7. Unholy_Carnage

Unholy_Carnage IncGamers Member

There are 50 gagillion reasons why you might be lagging...and i doubt the lag reduce will work. Set your video to the worst setting and turn off all the 3d stuff and set the vid options to their lowest. Thats what i do....and its not that big of a sacrifice. If that dosent work its probaley bnet or your cable. Yes, it is possible for you to lag even if you have cable. I usually get nice speed with my dsl but during some times of the day.....it just blows.

8. chaca

chaca IncGamers Member

Yep, turning off 3D speeds it up considerably (barring an overloaded server). It especially helps when you have summon necros, lots of casters, etc. The more animation the slower you will go.

9. THCMaster

well, im happy to announce that after turning off the sound completely, the lag has been greatly reduced. I still catch hints of it here and there, but no where near as much I did before. :buddies: :buddies: