Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lag spike fix suggestions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by matjex, Sep 16, 2015.

1. matjex

matjex IncGamers Member

So I have had lag spikes in D2 for about three years now.

It's not like every time I walk into a big group of monsters or a fireworks show appears while I'm playing my poison nec, I get lag spikes because my computer sucks; It's litterally every goddamn 2 seconds, and it lasts for almost the same amount of time.

I know my Dell computer lasts from back in 2009 and has seen some shit, but it's not like it doesn't do all the other things it's told to do. It might be my computer though, I just can't afford a new one at the moment..

I've tried literally everything and searched for the solution a billion times, and obviously couldn't find it.

Things I've done to solve it:
    • Rebooted the computer
    • Installed glidewrapper
    • Run in windowed mode
    • Tried all the different variations of compatible modes
    • Disabled desktop composition
    • Run as administrator
    • Updated the driver
    • Killed people
    Thing is, I'm not constantly having those lag spikes, sometimes I'm actually able to play, but 90% of the time, it's going down.

Another thing: My windows is not activated at the moment because I rebooted the machine and was not able to find the legit windows 7 cd that is hiding in a pile of junk at home; so I downloaded windows 7 (32bit) which I think justifies the fact that I have already bought the cd.

Anyway, you guys seem to be some hefty mofos with all the solutions, so I thought this would be the correct place to be asking for help.

Thanks in advance, and I hope you got those magic fingers! Cheers <3

2. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

Have you taken a look at programs that run in the background? I've had something similar (though not nearly as bad) as you. It didn't happen all the time though. So what was changing it from good to bad? After a long time i accidentally found out it was my virusscan updating itself in the background. After getting a different virusscanner that was a bit nicer to my system the problem was gone.

3. matjex

matjex IncGamers Member

I've tried running D2 with nothing else running, even with a gamebooster. I'm not exactly sure what changed it from good to bad, at one point my computer was generally really slow and I had to reboot it, I don't think that was where it started but it definitely didn't make it better. I didn't actually delete everything on my computer, I still got all the old files I had, but I deleted over 100gbs though.

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Any computer from 2009 can handle the game easily, the game is from 2002.

You could try to start d2vidtst.exe in the Diablo folder, run the video test and then switch to 2d. Alternatively you could try the Glide wrapper.

In case the Aero windows style thingy is active, switch it off. It's just bells and whistles and it's known to cause problems with D2, like on my computer.

Active virus checkers can suck up a lot of CPU power. Switching off the "active" part (i.e. checking things all the time) while playing might help a lot.

BBS_Agonistes likes this.
  5. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Go into task manager and sort processes after what CPU they use. Run D2, Alt-tab out, and monitor the processes. If some stupid antivirus process frequently pops to the top of the list with like 80%+ cpu used, then uninstall it and try your luck again.

6. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

Could be symptoms of a dying hard drive? You don't happen to have 2 hard drives in there and could install D2 to the toher one?

7. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Moving all screenshots if you have hundreds and deleting map files might help *shrug*

edit: I think that might mostly be a game loading fix though

8. XyleneCyanol

XyleneCyanol IncGamers Member

It sounds like a hardware issue. Is your CPU getting abnormally hot?

I have a similar problem with an old laptop, and it turned that there was so much dust accumulated which block the ventilation. After removing the dust, it was running okay. Also using a small fan blowing the CPU ventilation holes (what is the technical term for this in English? :p) in the laptop helps.

9. matjex

matjex IncGamers Member

I have tried running in all different modes aswell. I tried to change to oldschool windows mode and that did nothing aswell.
    I dont have any virus scanning programs installed either, but thank you very much for your suggestion!

10. matjex

matjex IncGamers Member

I tried this, and D2 takes around 88k, I dont know if that's too much.. ''explorer'' is the second with 11k.

11. matjex

matjex IncGamers Member

Could be, I do not have 2 harddrives, but I'm considering to delete everything on it.. i got 204gb empty space of 451 in total. Apparently it created a ''Recovery'' harddrive after I rebooted it.

12. matjex

matjex IncGamers Member

Well I've got 17 screenshots, so I dont think thats the problem. How do I delete the map files though?

13. matjex

matjex IncGamers Member

Great idea! I did this a long time ago and it actually helped ( don't remember if it was a D2 issue though ), and I vacuumed it recently, which didn't quite change anything. I'll try to remove some parts and see if I can get some dust out. hehe I know what you mean :D don't have a fan though!

14. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

That's the memory usage, not the % of CPU usage. Sort by that, and monitor for a minute or two.

15. matjex

matjex IncGamers Member

Holy shit, I tried to clean my computer and now it says that my hard drive is not connected. it is connected, I was very cautious with everything about it when I cleaned it. I really dont hope I'm loosing all my characters and stashes...