Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ladder vs. Non-Ladder, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by cocacolaguycoca, Aug 6, 2010.

1. cocacolaguycoca

cocacolaguycoca Banned

Ladder vs. Non-Ladder, what should I do?

I apologize if this questions falls under a sticky, but I took a look and it didn't seem like it.

So, anyway, I am going to play Diablo II (LoD) again for the millionth time and I can't decide if I should make my first character, an MF sorc, ladder or non-ladder. I have always done ladder in the past

What I am looking for...

- getting items without a huge amount of difficulty. I know that sometimes hours and hours have to be invested to get certain items. What has more "free items" games, ladder or non-ladder? More chances to trade? Which has more items More chances to get, say, tal-rasha set?

- lots of rushes/trist runs/tomb runs/baal runs/etc. Which will have more of these in order for me to level up quickly?

- More people, less bots? I would naturally assume non-ladder for more people, but less bots for ladder? What's better?

Overall whats going to give me the best experience based on these criteria?

Thank you very much in advance.

2. simpe

simpe IncGamers Member

Re: Ladder vs. Non-Ladder, what should I do?

I've only played ladder but I can tell you this:

there's ALOT of bots and you can easily get a hold of items such as the tal-rasha set. Not much trade games but you can make alot of trade on this forums. Alot (!) of baalruns (bots).

Playing Europe Softcore btw.

3. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Ladder. At this point its just as easy to get starter gear on L as it is on NL. Ladder is more active, most people play L. Ladder has more gear options, since of course you can't make ladder-only runewords or find ladder-only uniques on NL.

And, ultimately, L chars end up on NL sooner or later anyway, but never the other way around.

The only advantage to starting out on NL is that HRs are a lot cheaper, meaning you can get your HR-runewords sooner - as long as they're not ladder-only, which most of the good ones are :)

4. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

my thoughts exactly, tho your hdins enigma will cost you ~3 pgems on NL :(. and :welcome: to the forums :D

5. cocacolaguycoca

cocacolaguycoca Banned

Thanks for the replies guys, but I admit you are kind of making me feel like NL would be better for getting items, whether they be set pieces or rune/runeword items, etc. But if more people are on Ladder...meh, I just don't know. I need to figure this out by tomorrow.

Anything else to make me sway one way?

Thank you!

6. DjSlayer

DjSlayer IncGamers Member

My 2 cent: Non ladder would be suited better for the casual player since you can get what you want for a more "resonable" price.

- D.J.

7. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

Tho the "achievement" factor of finally getting the good items on L imo makes the wait worth it.

8. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Any set piece is going to be super cheap, L or NL. Set items arent that rare.

NL Runewords are cheaper on NL, of course. L-only RWs are probably cheaper on L, especially good rolls. Since so many of the RWs you care about (Dream, Faith, Fort, Grief, Infy, Insight, LW, Oath, Obedience, Pride, Rift, Spirit, just to name some of the big ones) are L-only, L is usually the better choice for gear.

Plus, there's very little incentive to MF on NL since everything IS so cheap, you cant sell anything for a profit...and PvP on NL is dominated by old-patch uniques and duped items, if PvP is your thing.

Really, NL is only really good if you just want to get everything right away, instant gratification, and not have any goals to work towards or have any fun :p

9. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Dear cocacolaguycoca,

On Friday I sent you a PM regarding your multiple accounts, which total three. I asked you (with a CC to Orphan) which you wanted to keep. I also noted in that PM if you did not respond all three accounts would be banned.

You have yet to read and respond to that PM, so I am warning you publicly in this thread.

You now have less than 20 hours, failure to respond will result in all of your accounts being banned.

Thank you.