ladder runewords available to SP when?

theds

Diabloii.Net Member
ladder runewords available to SP when?

I have read the FAQ, which INSISTS I can use Ladder-only runewords, yet when I do it, I don't get the runewords, only the run effects. Is this a bug, or is Rune Wizard 1.33 got all its Ladder recipies wrong? (No, I haven't tried them all, but I tried a few. Also tried one that said "Realms only" with less than useful results.)

Is there any clue when this might be allowed, or how to make it so they work?

krzyhobo

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't have access to RuneWizard but single player only has access to the original ladder-only runewords, if that makes sense. Sometime relatively recently a whole slew of both regular and ladder only runewords were activated on battle.net and single player has yet to see a patch for those.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you the specifics on which are available and which are not.

Serdash

Diabloii.Net Member
There's a blatantly obvious line in the runewords page on the Arreat Summit that states:

[font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]The following Rune Words will only work on the Battle.net Realms. They will not work for single or open characters

So anything below that line of text, you can't make in Single Player.
[/size][/font]

Tasdaz

Diabloii.Net Member
theds said:
I have read the FAQ, which INSISTS I can use Ladder-only runewords, yet when I do it, I don't get the runewords, only the run effects. Is this a bug, or is Rune Wizard 1.33 got all its Ladder recipies wrong? (No, I haven't tried them all, but I tried a few. Also tried one that said "Realms only" with less than useful results.)

Is there any clue when this might be allowed, or how to make it so they work?
RTB has written an accepted mod that allows you to use Ladder Only rune words in single player. Not sure if it will convert existing items or work for new items only.

Noodle

There is a mod which will allow you to use the new runewords. I don't have a link, but a simple search should enable you to find a link on this forum. Please be sure to disclose any mod you play if you ever MP or trade.

- Noodle

Minor_Deity

Diabloii.Net Member
Serdash said:
There's a blatantly obvious line in the runewords page on the Arreat Summit that states:

[font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]The following Rune Words will only work on the Battle.net Realms. They will not work for single or open characters

So anything below that line of text, you can't make in Single Player.
[/size][/font]
Smacks Serdy blatantly upside the head with a frozen herring.

bill_n_opus

Diabloii.Net Member
I'll be surprised if another patch for LoD comes out. It may happen but probably not. Can't imagine that it would be hard to do to address some minor issues like FE and runewords for goodness sakes.

I may install RTB's mods but i'd rather install an official patch from Blizz just so that it's all good no-questions-asked with the SPF. Nothing against RTB of course.

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
bill_n_opus said:
Can't imagine that it would be hard to do to address some minor issues like FE and runewords for goodness sakes.
No, it's not hard, but it's also not worthwhile for them. I mean, there are just a couple people playing SP compared to the multitude of people on B.net. And for most of the bugs in SP there's a way to work around them. I.e. back up your character and restore him if you die to a bug. Obviously you can't do that on b.net which is why they kinda needed to fix stuff there. For SP I don't think they'd judge the effort worth it.

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member
Tasdaz said:
RTB has written an accepted mod that allows you to use Ladder Only rune words in single player.
I don't Trade or MP, but I believe you are not "allowed" (not a bannable activity, but most won't MP or trade with you) to trade or MP with other who do not use this mod.

My advice, forget the new RW, ain't worth it.

Liliel

Diabloii.Net Member
The new runewords are mostly quite overpowered for the runes (Death, Oath, Grief, Spirit) or are beyond most players' reach (pretty much everything else other than Edge and Insight), or just downright silly (Jah+Mal+Jah+Sur+Jah+Ber).

killmesh

Diabloii.Net Member
i had the same problem with runewizard but it turns out that runewizard has runewords in it that cant be used in sp. it would be cool if some1 made a runewizard for sp but i doubt it will happen
RTB if your reading
:begs:

theds

Diabloii.Net Member
Many thanks to those kind souls who took a moment out of their day to help me with this forboding problem. I was expecting someone to tell me that I would have to edit the MPQ files, and then I wasn going to have to ask how to do that!

The only mod I use is the one that gives you an almost-usable amount of stash space. Makes my game-play a dozen times simpler. I can go out and grab everything that drops and clear an area before having to come back to town and sell it all. Huge Cube, baby! a God-send, really. But it makes me wonder if this mod you've suggested and the one I use will be compatible. I am under the impression you can only use one mod at a time, unless someone specifically makes a multi-purpose mod, and the multi-purpose mod I saw had too much stuff I didn't need.

My thanks for your guidance in this regard.

theds

Diabloii.Net Member
Shakes said:
This is what you're looking for:

http://wreckernl.homestead.com/files/diabloiinet/mods/Runewords.zip

I'm pretty sure if you've already put the runes into an item it wont magically become the runeword by installing this mod. The check for adding the runeword stats is done on socketing the last rune, I'd think.
In a rare occurrence today, a newbie took it upon himself to actually TRY this himself. Unfortunately, the results were unsuccessful. It LOOKS like the two should function together without any problem, but I also have a no-CD convenience, and it definitely won't function with that if you follow the directions to the letter. I tried simply putting that TXT file in the regular D2 directory and passing those parameters to the convenience program, but alas, the new Ladder words were not added.

For those who don't know, the extra-stash mod requires the replacement of an MPQ file - very simple. The above mod appears to be simply a text file coded in a certain way, and then your startup shortcut must have a couple parameters passed to the game to activate the alteration. As I said before, it looks like the two should work together, but the no-CD thing is what's getting these parameters, and I'm not sure how to pass them to the actual game without having to go back to figure out where I hid that CD again.

Anyway, thought I'd let you know what I've found out, and am still open to suggestions.

danc133

Diabloii.Net Member
Well I never play online as most of the time I'm on the road. It's my understanding that "Duress" only works online is that true?
Thanks in advance.

D!

:drink: :buddies:

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
danc133 said:
Well I never play online as most of the time I'm on the road. It's my understanding that "Duress" only works online is that true?
Thanks in advance.

D!

:drink: :buddies:
It is, unfortunately. Realms only.

Liliel

Diabloii.Net Member
Theds, if it helps, instead of having a no-cd patch I just used a program to make a copy of the CD onto my hard drive and "insert" it into a virtual CD drive (created by a CD-ROM emulator). Basically this makes the computer behave like I have the LoD CD inserted. And because it loads from a virtual CD on the hard drive instead of a real CD in the CD-ROM, the load times are much quicker.

HBeachBabe

Diabloii.Net Member
I use a no-CD crack and the red rune mod which work fine together. Just add the -direct -txt parameters to the shortcut like normal.

I'm wondering about the increased stash mod. why not just use ATMA?

theds

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't use ATMA because it doesn't work on my computer. I don't remember all the problems I was having, but as I recall, the author was either unwilling or unable to help me, as my problem was either really rare or really hard to fix. But I've slept since then, so I don't remember for sure.

I also don't play online. I tried it once, and found the people who happened to be on at the same time to be either rude or ignoring me. I asked about how to change avatars, knowing it would be a stupid question. Someone helpfully suggested I try ALT-F4. After I restarted the program and got back online, I congratulated him on his good joke (I am pretty handy with a computer, so I shouldn't have fallen for that one) and asked again. Totally ignored by everyone but the spam-bots. Later, I began to suspect the avatars came from whatever game you were in b-net with, but no sure answer. So I try to find a game to play, settle on one after a few tries that has one other player, but he's not really interested in partying, but he doesn't seem to mind me either. We kill a bunch of stuff, but I come across a problem: b-net doesn't support enhanced stash, yet my display still shows the extra spaces. If I try to put something in the wrong place, the game hangs and boots me out (not crashing, iirc). Remembering exactly which spaces are legal and which aren't is going to be a pain, but even so, I'm eventually gonna click in the wrong place, so I dumped all my stuff (didn't have much), let the guy know he could have it (got no response from him, not even a rush to go grab it), and haven't been back. I simply can't stand the tiny stash; it's what kept me from truly enjoying the original D2. Until a recent binge, out of about 10 chars I've played so far, I've not gotten any of them above level 30. My current high is not quite level 60, and I have now got about 4 above 40. Still have a couple types who haven't yet faced Baal, but all have faced Diablo. None but one have faced Nightmare Duriel.

Anyway, the past month notwithstanding, I'm not really an addict, and I play it for the joy of clearing areas of monsters and occasionally having collected the right runes to make a runeword. I've only started fooling with Cube recipes beyond the first few, and that mostly due to being able to use the excellent Hero Editor to give me whatever runes or gems I might want for some nifty item I've just found. And I have 2 computers, so I can swap out whatever the one finds that's good for the others.

Sorry to bore you with that.

I will try the Alcohol method, but I didn't think it would work because of the difficulty I had in making a working copy of the game to use as a play disk (before I found a no-CD tool). Anyway, when I get back home in a few days, I'll give that a go, or search for a tool that will pass the arguments.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

theds

Diabloii.Net Member
Just an update:

Finally, after getting the computer working again, I managed to image my CDs (the LOD one is the only one that needed to be in the virtual drive, tho) and installed the runewords thingy.

Turns out that yes, you must actually unpack everything to where it says to unpack it, because it creates a butt-ton of new files once you run it. I figured you could just put the Runes.txt file anywhere, so long as your shortcut pointed to it. This makes it incompatible with my crack, which requires the shortcut to point in the home directory, but at least Alcohol picks up the slack. Hate wasting the HD space, but oh well.

Upon running the runewords thingy, once I'd installed it correctly, I was capable of making a runeworded item that I before hadn't been able to make.

HOWEVER, I noticed the graphics were not quite correct. See, I see the graphics for the expanded stash patch, but the game behaves as if that patch is not enabled, which naturally causes me to lose about half of everything I have. Tried putting that patch file in the same place the shortcut is redirected to, and so far, no joy.

If I can't get these two things to play nicely together, next I will try to make the runeworded item, then restart the game without use of that patch and see if I can transfer the item to a different character, but that's really a lot of hassle, so if someone knows how to make the expanded stash and the extra runewords work together, I would be grateful if you could share that with us.