Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ladder Reset: Exact Time known?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Fishy123, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Fishy123

Fishy123 IncGamers Member

Ladder Reset: Exact Time known?

Hey everyone,

I'm just coming back from about a 5 year hiatus of playing and I'm totally pumped to be part of the new ladder season.

My question is, when exactly is the ladder reset happening tomorrow? I'm sorry if this has been asked before; I checked the FAQ (hasn't been updated) and also have browsed through Blizzard's official release notes. All Blizz has to say about it is that it will be tomorrow (the 23rd) and that there will be approximately 6 hours of realm maintenance before everything goes live. But when will the maintenance begin? Midnight? That seems less than ideal as that would mean the race will begin at 6 AM - I suppose 9 AM, since I'm playing USEast and Blizz is located on the west coast.

Thanks in advance!

2. nitroxidus

nitroxidus IncGamers Member

Re: Ladder Reset: Exact Time known?

is this the cichlid fishy by any chance?

i haven't seen a time confirmed anywhere yet, heck blizz themselves may not even know for sure yet. i wouldn't rule that out. i'm just coming back as well from .09 days when it got really bad. started up a sorc last week to get a feel for the game again before ladder reset.

3. lingpanda

lingpanda IncGamers Member

"The Diablo II realms will be brought down at approximately 9:00 AM PDT, March 23 to reset the ladder and release the 1.13 patch.

We anticipate this maintenance could take as long as six hours from the time the realms are brought down. We'll provide more information if that estimate changes."

So Eastern time, it might be as late as 6 pm before patch is up. Which is perfect for me since I get off work at 5:30.

4. Fishy123

Fishy123 IncGamers Member

A-ha! Thank you, sir. Excellent :jig:

5. Feysal

Feysal IncGamers Member

Even if they say that, it may take considerably longer. I remember during the 2007 reset people kept playing for hours past the time the reset was due to start. When finally the message that the realms were shutting down came, there was cheering on the community forum within seconds. Having done system maintenance myself, I know that unexpected things may pop up at the last minute, delaying everything.

6. droid

droid IncGamers Member

If you're not working tomorrow, why dont you just take the afternoon off and not worry about it? Go take a walk in the park, get some sunshine while you can, go get some dinner, and Diablo will be waiting when you get home...Lord knows your *** is going to be glued to your computer chair for the next 3-4 days anyway :)

7. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Hmm, 9:00 AM PDT is around 3:00AM here, so very early morning. I won't get a chance to play until after work I guess (or a good 16 hours after the realms are scheduled to go down). Ah well, that's the breaks.

8. Kefka

Kefka IncGamers Member

just remember if, in the first 2 hours, someone offers you two ber a jah and a zod for your riots keen, "just say no".

9. tmorrow

tmorrow IncGamers Member

Hmm, that's funny, I've been doing server maintenance (web servers, application servers, security servers/systems etc) for many years and I've found that delays in planned upgrades and installations to be quite unusual.

With between to 20-50 people onsite (technical staff, testers for IVT, UAT, admin, sys ops, project managers, ... ), it's quite expensive to have them sitting around, twiddling their thumbs and doing nothing while some problem gets fixed.

If you design your infastructure properly with appropriate redundancy, ensure the software solutions are rock solid (i.e. have tested them adequately before release in prerelease environments) then you are usually well placed for a successful implementation, especially if your prerelease environments resemble your production environment.

Most importantly, if have a pragmatic implementation schedule with slack time built in so everyone's not constantly under the pump during the implementation, then I found things usually turn out ok. Even if some smaller "unexpected" problems arise, they can usually be managed and dealt with within the scheduled time frame.

In fact if you really have your act together you can get away with pre-implementing the vast majority of your solution (e.g. copy over codebase/application and/or install alongside old version) and flick some switches on the day to swing over to the new software and restart services.

I hope it all goes to plan for Blizzard with the 1.13 patch.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  10. DayDream

DayDream IncGamers Member

I'm actually really excited to play, wow..
    It's been quite awhile too

Few more hours to go!

11. Morannon

Morannon IncGamers Member

I have eagerly anticipated the reset/patch since last April. This happens to be my busiest week in that time. yay

12. GibItam

GibItam IncGamers Member

Today I don't have time, tomorrow I can play after I come home from work, after my son goes to sleep. ThenI won't have time until sunday. I guess I will be a slowstarter on the HC ladder this time :whistling:

Last ladder I started during the ladder season and still managed to be in the ladder after about a month, so it is not so bad.

13. Ankeli

Ankeli IncGamers Member

Oh 9 AM PDT, that makes it ready by midnight today in my time unless my poor knowledge of world time fails. Ah well, guess I'll get to start tomorrow then. :)

14. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

It is now 12:58 am PDT... Am I doing this wrong or where is the Realm Down which means Reset? :coffee::coffee::coffee:

15. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

The realms are scheduled to go down at 9:00am PDT, so you got another 8 odd hours left :scratchchin: That's not including the time it takes to actually do the reset itself.

16. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

8+6, that's 14 hours... Midnight here in Finland. In the middle of the week, no less. Great timing Blizz! :alright: It's not like *I* have to work, but the rest of my team might well be sleeping then, or soon at least. Not to mention that it could well take more than 6 hours to do the Reset. :coffee::pancake::xxx::banghead::dizzy::badteeth:

17. Ankeli

Ankeli IncGamers Member

Indeed. I'm seriously thinking about uh... catching a fever tonight. ;)

18. Tellef

Tellef IncGamers Member

Thats 23:00 norwegian time, and I'm supposed to get up at 05:00 the next day... :(

Has there ever been a ladder reset where the servers are back up before the estimated hour?

19. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

Wait, so let me get this straight... You're asking... If Blizzard Entertainment... A company infamous for its year-long "weeks" and "soons" of indefinite lenghts... Has ever done something ahead of schedule? I'm afraid I'll have to ask you two questions before I can answer yours: 1. What's that you're smoking? Or, barring that, where can I get an optimism like yours? Nauru island? 2. Do you believe that Santa Claus leads a global conspiracy to drain the oceans and paint the Moon neon green through excessive obesity and teen pregnancies just because, dude, like, he could be doing it? Looking forward to your answers! :thumbup: :wave: :wink: :jig:

20. Feysal

Feysal IncGamers Member

You've worked in a larger organization than I have, and one that seems to know what it's doing. Perhaps it's the number of people that makes it necessary to organize better. For example of what I'm used to, an important feature of a recent new service was unplanned, unimplemented and untested the day before it was due to go into production use, and I spent weeks debugging the system in question after it was released.

The question is of course, how well is the Blizzard team prepared? If they have done the things you've mentioned, they'll probably do fine. If they haven't, well... unexpected things may turn up and delay things.

So do I. But given my past experience, I'm not setting myself up for disappointment if the reset is delayed. It'll be done when it's done. We've waited a long time, a few hours more is no big deal by this point.