Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ladder only runewords

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Nesjan, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Nesjan

Nesjan Diabloii.Net Member

Just found a Vex, Gul and a 5 socket phase blade in the last week of playtime. I have always played untwinked SP so i have not ever had access to ladder only runeword, i am actually just starting to look at the stats on Arreat Summit.

Anyways looking at Arreat Summit today, with the 3 items i found this week i could make a "Death", which i dont know to me at first glance looks like one of the best in the game for a melee

300-385 enhanced Dmg
    Crushing Blow and Deadly Strike
    mana leech
    Glacial Spike
    Indestructible
    Bonus to AR

Looking at some of these runewords really makes me wonder if i should upgrade, i heard there was a SP Mod that adds ladder only runewords...

Do all these overpowered runewords really make the game better, or will i always just find myself forever hunting high level runes to create these insane items, forgetting about all the other weapons/shields/armors

2. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

Death in a PB sounds like a waste of runes. You want something ethereal and high damage, like a cryptic sword, ettin axe or berserker axe. A PB makes somewhat up for the lack of IAS in the runeword though.

Ladder only runewords does not make the game better per se, what is good/bad/better/worse is a matter of taste.

More runewords makes up for more variation (in theory). But in the same time, since many of the ladder runewords are soo powerful, makes more less variation (in practice).

I sometimes makes builds where the char can't use ladder only runewords, and sometimes when they can't use any runeword and so on.

3. necrolemming

necrolemming Diabloii.Net Member

For better or for worse, most people around here who play for longterm progression use RWM.

It's up to you, really. The game's a timesink where you set your own goals, so if you think the addition of those runewords would be helpful (either for expediting the process in achieving other goals you're going for or as objectives in and of themselves), go nuts.

4. Nesjan

I kind of like that idea, maybe something like choose a build and make one withLadder only runewords and one without. Compare them afterwords. Probably the character with high level runewords is always going to be better. I watch a channel sometimes on youtube and this Xtimus guy always makes awesome builds but 9/10 times its all ladder only runewords. Thats what kind of bothers me it seems like they make all the other weapons/shields/Armor obsolete.

5. drmalawi

Xtimus uses all kinds of non Single Player Forum "tricks". If you wanna see legit and awesome builds, watch the Pat/Mat/Guardian compilation thread in this forum. There you can also see builds with themes/limitations like "must use cracked sash as belt all game" and so on :)

I am working on a HC trapsin at the moment, where no runewords at all can be used.

You make your own rules, you decide what is fun, you decide what is better :)

zoo likes this.
  6. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Please make sure you read the rules and understand the implications before moving to the ladder runewords (RWM).

Phase Blade has too low base damage for Death. Ethereal Berserker Axe is provably the best choice for a one handed weapon.

7. darkstarhub

darkstarhub Diabloii.Net Member

Xtimus uses a lot of stuff from the place that shall not be mentioned as well as the Voldemort mod to have anni/torch amongst other things. I don’t want to bash the guy too much though since he does make D2 content and will put it something decent every now and then.

As for RWM, do it for sure. If you’ve been playing all this time without it, the mod will really add a breath of fresh air to the game. The Runes you will want are not going to just start falling from the sky, and finding just the right base takes just as long sometimes. Like Death for example, I agree with @maxicek about using an Ethereal Berserker Axe. Getting a five socket one of those is not easy. With Indestructible as a stat on Death it just makes sense to craft it in something Ethereal. If you are going for a Superior Ethereal Berserker Axe with a full 15% and 5 sockets go play the lottery if you ever find one.

@necrolemming is also right about making your own rules. Just because you have the Runeword mod does not mean you have to use it for every character.

8. drmalawi

I think I have forgot, did the rules say that one should start fresh before one uses RWM?

9. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Perhaps someone else needs to re-read them :)
    No they don’t.

We are working on updates of the rules at the moment, mainly to aid clarity.

Also just for clarification- “Make your own rules” as long as they comply with all the SPF rules. Message both moderators if there are any questions.

drmalawi likes this.
  10. zoo

zoo Diabloii.Net Member

Is there a specific build you have in mind where you feel that a ladder only runeword would make or break the character?

I play without mods or extended stash and have come to terms with the fact that I will probably never be able to build my ES Nova sorceress the way I did on the realms some ten years ago since Infinity is a ladder only runeword. I find enjoyment in other builds instead. Currently having a blast participating in the Set/Unique Worshipers 2017 tournament.

11. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Rationally spoken, yes, but a sword makes a much better sound when a barbarian swings it and it also looks way cooler whike a BA looky silly and flimsy on them. In that case I would choose either a colossus bade (hard to find with 5 sockets), colossus sword (easy) or glorious axe (highest range of anything not being a spear or polearm).

I think Death is an excellent choice for two-handed use when on-weapon IAS isn't needed (conc, zerk) or when IAS is irrelevant at all (charge paladin). Finally, it's probably the best weapon for a blade fury assassin (perhaps except a godly rare claw), but then it has to be in a one-hander, like an ettin axe. IAS is irrelevant for them as well.

drmalawi likes this.
  12. Nesjan

not any specific build at the moment no, i am currently working with a Zealot that has Stormlash which took me about a 9 weeks of farming everyday to find. I just think it is the best weapon for a Zealot and the only way to upgrade would be to start looking at ladder runewords.

I also found a Gul rune recently and just studying Arreat Summit it didnt take me long to realize Gul has almost no use unless you have access to Ladder only runewords, so it has me considering upgrading thats for sure. "Kingslayer" not special, "Fury" might not be bad for a frenzy Barb for the +5 Frenzy but probably only that. Was going to make "principle" but Guardian's and my end goal "CoH" are far superior. I might just remove my ED jewel from stormlash and throw the Gul in for the AR bonus.

13. drmalawi

The 20% AR bonus is applied to your base AR. Eth rune is most likely gonna give you more effective AR / chance to hit.

The +5 Frenzy is not worth it since it is only 25% off-hand ED. Considering the low ED on Fury you are looking at about 50 extra dmg...

14. Nesjan

haha fair enough. So i am not misjudging the Gul rune, it is pretty useless without ladder only words?

15. drmalawi

Could be upgraded to Vex if you wanna make HoTo or if you get three more Guls, make an Ohm and make CtA

zoo likes this.
  16. zoo

zoo Diabloii.Net Member

I guess the most useful thing you can do with it is wait for another Gul to drop and cube them into a Vex rune. :)

I'd say Kingslayer has its uses since it can be put into a 4 socketed sword like a Cryptic Sword. But then again, if the ladder only runewords where available there would be a lot of other options for a 4 socketed sword.

17. Nesjan

speaking of Call to Arms does it give a better bonus having it on switch than Demon Limbs Enchant?

18. drmalawi

Demon Limb you just equip in town to cast encant. Don't go into battle with it on switch :) The enchant buff lasts about 10 minutes.
    Even if you did not choose to do that, yes the extra life from CtA is probably more useful than about 1-1.5k extra AR :)

19. necrolemming

necrolemming Diabloii.Net Member

Kingslayer is a very good runeword because it has an oskill that's opens up unique builds, and the other things you can do with a Gul (1/2 of a Vex, 1/4 of an Ohm) are quite good too even without ladder runewords. Lo runes are probably the most useless one without RWM.

OP's view of D2 as expressed through these threads feels very... narrowminded. It's nice to have a single goal, but there's a bigger picture out there and educating oneself in a game as broad as this is a good idea.

20. drmalawi

Fanatic zealots are pretty narrowminded builds. Spam left click, recast Holy Shield every 5min, repeat :)