Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ladder-only...or it's just me?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Arneb, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Arneb

Arneb IncGamers Member

Ladder-only...or it's just me?

Why the Nightmare the "Insight" ladder-only runeword didn't work on my four-socketed Great Poleaxe? It's "RalTirTalSol", right? Weren't they supposed to work in SP too? Do I need some other Mod? Do I need a better computer? Do I need to upgrade to WinXP? Do I need to wait for the Summer solstice?
    Help!

2. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

The latest batch of runewords only works on b.net. Pretty much all the otehr ladder things work in SP, though. With a mod the RWs work in SP, too. But be advised that angry villagers will try to tar and feather you if you use that... :lol:

3. nobo

nobo IncGamers Member

the 'new' runewords (insight, spirit...) only work on b.net. they you can build them on b.net because of a server-upgrade. because there is no server in sp these runewords don't work.
    upgrading your computer is always a good idea, but depends on your money :lol:

if you want to use the new runewords, i'm sure there's a mod out there that enables them.
    another posibility is to install the "aurapatch" of the chaos empire mod, which enables the new runewords for d2 lod too.

4. Arneb

Arneb IncGamers Member

Oh, I'm accustomed to people unfriendship. I remember when Charsi tried to use my iron golem as an anvil...or when Tyrel had something to say about "hordes of skeleton in a stronghold of heaven"...
    Well, curse them all, I don't care about useless villagers...but what about the SP community? Is this mod you're talking about accepted or is considered no more than a hack?

5. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

I've only been lurking these forums for a while, but from what I see, it's not really accepted, but it's not really rejected either... not sure how right I am.

6. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast IncGamers Member

As long as people know you are using the mod, as long as you announce that you use it when trading or mp-ing it's all right,

There probably won't be too many people willing to trade or mp with you if you use the mod though.

There is always the option of keeping you mod stuff and your vanilla stuff seperate, that's what i did, just make seperate ATMA stashes and chars for the runword mod, you can bring items over from vanilla to the mod but you can't bring items back from the mod to vanilla, makes it possible to tinker around with the new runewords but i'm still able to mp, participate in tourney's and trade if i want

7. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Welcome! *kicks shins*
    See folks, its good that he knows ladder only items work in SP (most questions come from not knowing they can drop in SP) but alas, we dont have the new runewords. But thats a good thing IMO. the runewords are very unbalancing (all those auras and stuff make the game rediculously easy).
    Anyway, the mod your looking for that is accepted in the SPF (so long as you sate you use it when trading or MPing) can be found here. Look for a post by RTB, he links to the more commonly used mods that are generally accepted now.

8. FodderCannoned

FodderCannoned IncGamers Member

I myself am waiting to see how people react to the mod that enables Battlenet runewords, I would like to install it but haven't yet do to the fact most people haven't accepted it as a mod that can be traded mped with like the red rune mod.

9. SeDnA

SeDnA IncGamers Member

Obedience *cough* Insight *cough* Spirit *coughs incessantly*

10. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast IncGamers Member

whether they are unbalancing totally depends on what you with it and how you look upon it.

Sure, you can make cheesy builds even more cheesy but there is no need for that, they are already cheesy and kill /player8 hell without effort anyway, with or without new runewords, they won't add a lot.

What they can do though is open up the road to a bunch of builds that are otherwise very hard to take trough hell..

Some examples?
    There are not many (if any) runewords there that will make it easyer for a well equipped Blizzard Sorc then it is now
    Hammerdins? they are easy now and they will be easy then, but not much more, except possibly untwinked Hammerdins and Spirit (useless for any other untwinked char then Pally because of the str req´s)
    Zealots? sure you can give him Fortitude for more damage, but a well made Zealot can kill /players 8 hell in vanilla as well
    Insight and Obedience, sure they are nice for a merc but nothing else, and there are better weapons for a merc then Obedience in vanilla d2, Insight is nice but how many cheesy chars really have a mana shortage?

On the other hand:
    Many melee builds that are now very hard tp play because they have low skill-ed can benefit from Fortitude and actually kill something in hell
    Nova sorcs? I made one who could handle hell 1.10 pretty well but it is almost impossible to make that takes care of the boatload of mana required and the survivability needed in 1.10, Insight might be an answer
    Bowazons, multishot ama's can actually go without Windforce if they have Fortitude.

There are tons of other options that can make for nice new builds, the big problem with all of them is rediculous high runes required to make them which make them useless in sp...

11. Arneb

Arneb IncGamers Member

Yeah, I've read about the Red rune mod, but what does it do?

Regarding the ladder-only runewords I don't think they would be so unbalancing: first, the stronger ones need some pretty rare runes ("pretty rare", yeah :( );second, SP is (IMO) harder and poorer (in an item-finding point of view, you know) and we definitely need some incentive...

Well, I think I'll download the mod, I never play MP and never trade...and I want to make an Iron Golem from a "Lawbringer"!

12. farting bob

farting bob Banned

The red rune mod simply shows all runes that are on the floor red instead of white. Its a ghraphical change, and like all graphical only mods, its generally accepted, but still needs to be mentioned.

13. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Couldn't have said it better and that's one of the reasons why I changed my mind on the runeword mod. Well, that's the only reason, actually. Seeing how I am trying to come up with 49 different builds I find myself needing some of the runewords like fortitude to make some chars actually worth playing. I wouldn't actually say it's harder without the runewords, that depends on the builds. It's just a lot more tedious. But I seriously doubt I'd give the ribcracker amazon a shot without the RW mod. And my strafezon can finally run something at half decent speed due to fortitude. :)

14. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

I wouldn't say the runewords are unbalancing... since a lot of them require runes that you should have a hard time to find in SP. Let's see... the runewords that look doable in SP are:

Death
    Edge
    Harmony
    Insight
    Lawbringer
    Oath
    Obedience
    Rift
    Spirit
    Voice of Reason