Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[l] The Results of my Invincible Abbott

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by edgie, Nov 2, 2006.

1. edgie

edgie IncGamers Member

[l] The Results of my Invincible Abbott

So after i saw that post a while back by SSoG (i think :undecided: ) describing the invincible abbott i decided to see if it really was possible to make an "invincible" character. This is my character:

abbottt:

Stats at Level 84 (after gear):

162 strength
    135 dex
    406 vitality
    42 energy (base without gear)

1700 life (i loved the even number lol)
    180 mana

Gear:
    Gris Helm (2x sol)
    Gris armor (3x sol)
    Gris shield (3x sol)
    Gris caddy (1x shale 3x 15 ARes jewels)
    1paly/19pdr ammy
    2x 11 pdr natures
    TGods
    15/14 Treks (hotspurs stashed in case i needed them)
    6/6 Soul Drainers (could never seem to find any 7/7s - thanks safetypro for donating these :p)

14/14 anni
    13/12 PTorch

6x Paly def lifers (37,34,33,32,27,23)
    3x Plain Paly def
    (thanks to safetypro for the plain ones...got annoyed searching for more lifers)

merc: Andys, 30 Res EWyrmhide, Eth insight CV

Totals:

97 PDR
    75 FR (90 with spurs)
    83 CR
    95 LR
    75 PR
    60ias % breakpoint on vengeance

Skills:

max Vengeance
    Max Light Res
    Max Prayer
    Max Cold res (almost)
    1 point holy shield

SOO, is it possible to make an invincible character?

In single player games, yes it is. I have a few screen shots to share :azn:

Edit: bleh lost most of them :cry: but still have a pretty solid one :)

Me being super cool

In conclusion, this guy was just a fun experiment i enjoyed. Gathering all the gear he required was a pain, but litteraly parking my paly in the throne of destruction until one of his set pieces broke and he couldn't equip his gear anymore is a somewhat interesting experience. And for once i can honestly say: my char > bnets lag

I plan to make a hardcore version sometime soon :D

cheers

*edgeedge

Edit again: Im going hunting for some more screenshots...i'll update as i get em

Crystaline Passage
    River of Flame

2. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Nice work ! :D

3. koeraokse

koeraokse IncGamers Member

nice to see people testing fun builds not only using hammerdins/smiters, nice work, seems to be one of the best tank's in the game, I might try it in hc someday

thanks alot for sharing it with us :thumbsup:

:shocked:
    *priit2

4. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

What level prayer are you running with? (and how much healed/sec?)
    Another fun build. :thumbsup:

Now if only the damage reflected by thorns wasn't affected by pdr... :(((((((

5. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Yup, 'twas me.

Glad you had as much success with the build as I did. I never even thought about what might happen if one of my gear-pieces broke... I'll have to be careful not to park mine for as long next time. :shocked:

6. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

I'm not meaning to step on Edgie's toes here, but according to his setup, he should have a Merc with slvl 20 Prayer, which with Insight would give Heals +50. He should also have a slvl 39 Prayer himself, which would heal +74 more, for a total of Heals +124. That's per every two seconds, which is the same as 62 life replenished per second (except it'll happen in spurts as opposed to a smooth regen like with Mana regen). That's fast enough to take him from 0 to full in 28 seconds.

7. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

So basically, with all the sol runes and pdr from everywhere, you can/should not lose more than 62/second with this build, no matter where you stand? cute!:thumbsup:

8. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

That's the basic idea. Getting over 75% Resists is also superimportant, because MDR simply doesn't cut it in hell. I always joked that this was the easiest character in the world to gear up, because you only needed to remember the Mantra... "+Skills, PDR, Resists… +Skills, PDR, Resists... +Skills, PDR, Resists… +Skills, PDR, Resists..." (Although I suppose it should be Resists, PDR, +skills if you wanted to list them in order of importance). Basically, no other mod in the entire game matters- just get those three and you're set.

The guide, with all of the reasoning and numbers behind it (as well as a bunch of other gear suggestions) can be found here. Unfortunately, it's been locked, so you can't reply to it anymore.

9. koeraokse

koeraokse IncGamers Member

merc and your aura wont stack, he should use cleansing then..

:shocked:
    *priit2

10. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

He *does* use Cleansing. Look at the screenshots. The only time he's running Meditation is when his Merc is already dead. He's definitely getting the full 62 life healed per second as long as his merc is alive.

Anyway, for clarification in case anyone is confused, most auras don't stack, but the regeneration from Prayer most definitely does. Prayer acts like a "ping" aura, sort of like Holy Fire except it heals instead of hurting. If you're in a party with 7 other paladins, and all 8 of you run prayer, you will all gain the benefits of all 8 prayers simultaneously. If one of you switches to Cleansing, you'll get the Cleansing, as well as all 8 prayers. If another one switches to Meditation, you'll get the Cleansing, Meditation, and all 8 prayers. If a third Paladin then switchs to Cleansing or Meditation, that's when you start to run into problems- in that case, lower level auras start getting ignored, and you only benefit from 7 auras. However, as long as there's not more than one Cleansing or Meditation aura present, then the healing from the one Cleansing, one Meditation, and ALL Prayers will be active simultaneously.

11. edgie

edgie IncGamers Member

heeh sorry fro taking so long to get back to this thread...had a busy week :undecided:

Thanks for all the great commenst.

Yeah resits are really as important to this build as PDR and skills are. That was what lead my decision to put 15 all res jewels in my Gris caddy rather then ias/dmg jewels or shaels aiming for the 110 ias breakpoint.

Right on.

Only VERY VERY VERY nasty combinations of aura boss packs (fanat/conviction/cencentration sort of thing) can really kill him. With 75% block too i can afk in minions of destructions, though game does tend to get pretty glitchy for some reason at this point.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me (or SSoG I'm sure) or msg me at (usEast)

*edgeedge

cheers

12. ArchsageVal

ArchsageVal IncGamers Member

mo screenshots homie!

edit: can you do that in hell chaos, hell baal? Ubers? d2 clone? I'm goona start that char after im done with my current mf sorc.

13. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Hell Chaos? Yes. Hell Baal? No problem (although if you just slap a Kelpie on your merc, Hell Baal becomes a joke). Ubers and DClone? Not a freaking chance, you'd get eaten alive.

Actually, if you were running Conviction to counter Ubermephs, and you had 95% resist-all, you would be very sturdy. I just wouldn't recommend parking in ubertristram.

The only guys that chew through your defenses, aside from some REALLY unlucky bossmods (Fanat-Enchanted/ES/EF, any Conviction Enchanted gloam pack, or sometimes some bugged LEFECE combos, especially paired with conviction) are going to be guys with really ridiculous physical damage. That means Lister's pack, and that means Megademons. They'll be able to kill you eventually, although not quickly.

14. pbjax

pbjax IncGamers Member

what's pdr?

15. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

PDR = Physical Damage Reduction, aka "Straight" damage reduction. Any time you see a piece of gear that says "Damage Reduced by X" (with no percentage sign after the X), that's PDR. If it says "Magic Damage Reduced by X", then that's known as MDR. While PDR can be quite useful at extremely high levels (80+ points), MDR is, on the whole, generally useless.

Also, if it reads "Damage Reduced by X%" (which is only available on uniques, iirc), that's known as DR% (or sometimes just DR, although I try to always call it DR% to avoid any confusion). Also, there are some skills that say "reduce enemy damage by X%". Those don't have an official name for them, but I always call that "EDR%" (as in "Enemy Damage Reduction%").

Hopefully I didn't confuse you too badly.:smiley:

16. Mesuno

Mesuno IncGamers Member

This looks like a fun build.

And it seems to be moderately skills independent - you have gone for a melee with the Vengeance/Cold Res/Lit res maxed. It seems to me that this could equally well be converted to a full medic build with maxed HolyBolt/Prayer/FoH and maybe Holy Shield. The problem I usually have with my medics is if I'm near enough the frontline of the party to heal whoever is tanking then I'm liable to take rogue hits.

For instance the level 48 HC Medic I was training last night died on an Act 4 run while i was leveling my merc (overconfidence.. Doh!)

Is there an equivalent 'cheap' build that would see a character safe through NM? Griswolds set stuff is out of my league price wise. I guess a high res Spirit Shield/4 Soc Armour/3 Socket helm with Sol's would be pretty good still - throw in a prd Ammy too maybe?

17. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

Search for threads started by SSoG, and read up on the abbot.

18. safetypro

safetypro IncGamers Member

Hey Edgie,
    Why didn't you offer to take a screenie of your Abbott and mine together? Would have been a neat pic:)

My build was slightly different as I decided to go the max defense route.

Skills:
    1 to Cleansing
    20 to Prayer
    20 to Vengence
    20 to Holy Shield
    6+ each to Resist Fire, Cold and Lightning

I found out afterwords that I should have put more skill points into Resist Lightning and less in Resist Cold but, that didn't seem to matter too much.
    No doubt it was nearly invincible. Funny Story: One night when I was nearing completion, Edgie, another friend and I gathered to discuss the build. My friend thought it would be neat to see how the Abbott stood up to PVP. His character was as Godly a Zealot Smiter as there is. He could smite me and my Abbott would regenerate fully within a few seconds. Needless to say that if he would smite repetitively, I'd die fast enough.
    The only problem with the build (if you consider it a problem) was that it took so long to kill high level monsters. Perhaps Edgie's build was more viable in terms of kill speed.
    Please add me to your list if you have any questions about the Abbott build. I must say though, that SSoG was invaluable providing me with guidance while I was planning and leveling and is again as I am presently making another of his so called "Ugly Builds" (the Might Kodiak).

safetypro

19. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Getting uber Abbott gear is pretty expensive, but you can make a solid Abbot-Lite even No-Twink. When it comes to gear, your mantra is "+Skills, PDR, Resists". Say it with me... +skills, PDR, Resists... +skills, PDR, Resists... +skills, PDR, resists...

In terms of importance, Resists are the most important. Get them to 75% (or better, if possible!). After Resists are maxed, focus ENTIRELY on PDR, and grab whatever +skills (especially +defensive auras) you can on the way. As long as you get a 20+ PDR Amulet and Circlet of Life Everlasting (both easily gambleable), as well as a Sol in your Armor and two more in your hat, you'll be very sturdy. Not unkillable, but very, very sturdy. Give yourself an Insight stick to keep your hands busy and go from there. If you have trouble maxing your resists, put a point in Salvation and run that as your main aura while you let the Meditate from your Insight handle the healing (plus your party will love you for running Salvation). You should have plenty of points to spare, since the build completes with just 21 points (20 in Prayer, 1 in Cleansing).

Also, if you plan on making a Medic, make sure that you ABSOLUTELY get a slvl17 Insight, because otherwise when you adventure with someone with an Insight merc, their Meditation will overwrite yours and you won't be healing. Also, consider deviating enough from the Medic route to drop 20 points in Charge- 20 in Charge + Insight Shillelagh are more than enough to kill in Hell on their own, and it's nice to have a Medic with some bite.