Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[L]Best bow for necros

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by IzZ-Lethal, May 22, 2005.

1. IzZ-Lethal

IzZ-Lethal IncGamers Member

[L]Best bow for necros

lots of sugestions on here. but not too much mention of faith. it gives fant and +2skillz to help with those loser minions. thats what im using right now on mine. starting to think its not the best idea just cause alot of ppl are going with magic arrow bows n stuff. guess it all depends on if u wanna help your minions or not. has anyone tried both faith and windforce that could tell me the round about dmg difference? i dont wanna loose the fant and 2 extra skills but if the dmg is a whole lot better with windforce ill do that.
    also curious as to what ppl are doing about mana leach. i kinna wanted to use andys for the skills and ll. but if i do i'll need soul drainers. which i hate because of the chance to cast a stupid curse that i dont wanna use. other choice...gaze with 20ias gloves. i have no duel leach ring nor can i afford one. so plz dont suggest that. any suggestions other then that will be much appricated. thanks :)

2. Harleyquin

Harleyquin IncGamers Member

Try the Pus Spitter for bonus to skills!:lol:

3. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

faith is the best bow, it helps ur summuns and its the best dmg, or second after wf, but the dmg faith gives to ur summuns is enough to compensate.

4. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Faith also has 1-2 +all and it also revives enemies. I don't know if it's the exact same thing as necro revives but if it is, you probably also get full synergies from your skelllie mastery. Not that you'll be getting many kills in with your skeletons enhanced by both a might merc and a lvl 12-15 (IIRC) Fanaticism Aura. I think Faith makes more sense than Beast for skellie builds unless you want to be right in there hacking away with the troops on principle.

5. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

faith also gives higher lvl fana, and more dmg i think, but beast has the style points, although u cant curse in bear form(correct me if im wrong)

6. Dad Daniel

Dad Daniel IncGamers Member

Putting faith bow(even 15/2) in a necro will make him a really stupid build - from a decent necro head and a wand tne necro can get max to +12 summoning skills ( so we are loosing 10 in the worst way ). The fana aura maybe will negatiate the damage fall from such loose of skills, but the skeletons will be with SIGNIFICANTLY lowered life and res, AND NUMBER!!!, besides the mages will suffer more than everything!
    Necro with bow = necro with no chance to block = DEAD necro
    :lol:

7. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

Try and think past cookie cutter builds for a second and show an open mind to people who want to try something different.

A bow-using nec is a perfectly viable build. Faith is probably the best choice for its speed, damage, and extra help it gives to your skellies.

Obviously he's losing skills with a bow, if he wanted to go max summons he wouldn't even be asking us what the best bow is - he'd already be using an AOKL and a head.

A combination of curses and skeletons gives a necro the best crowd control in the game, there's no need for a blocking if the monsters never get to you.

8. IzZ-Lethal

thank you TopHatCat64 :p and thanks everyone else for you input. and for the record the dmg i bow necro can do isnt all that bad. i recently switched from my faith blade bow that i was doing 1806 max dmg with to a less fast crusader faith. now im doing 2681 max. its slower and slightly lower on the minimum dmg. but im just seeing which one i like better. anyway this isnt a power build Dad Daniel its just for fun. it takes longer to kill things later in hell but with your minions as meat shields u could kill just about anything.

9. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Hmm for bowmancer Goldstrike Gothic bow upped to hydra would be rather sweet imo with its huge ias, bonus AR and ed to demons/undead :p Or 'Harmony' r/w if you want to throw in a Valk on top of all your summons for kicks hehe. Good choice with the Faith bow though as your minions would be doing a lot more damage :D Oh i am making a bowmancer and his mana leech would come from a 5/5/ar/resists ring and i must say i was sheer luck that i id every rare jewellry when item running :D Rare gloves i had seen with 20ias/3/3 leech and depending on your dmg perhaps this is an adequate form of mana leech? Cheers!

10. Gix

Gix IncGamers Member

Windforce baby

11. Tom123

Tom123 IncGamers Member

Also - the faith would be on weapon switch, raise army with leoric and homo, switch to bow and go nuts. Also, whats the point in block if you have 25 skeletons, a golem and a merc, just run to safety, regroup or - cast a curse like confuse, attract, dim vision.

12. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

A necro with Faith definitely counts as cookie cutter build for me.

AFAIK Faith can give +1 or +2 skills. I use full trangs, so Faith on switch would be a bad option, but if I were using different gear then most likely I would have Homunculus as shield --- which also gives +2. So in terms of +skills, Faith only looses the wand, and my Skelemancer plays with Gull instead of the wand most of the time, so I don't see any problems there.

And the Fanatism should more than just make up for the loss of 1-2 Skeletons... and that's not even considering the damage you could deal with the bow (although I doubt *my* necro would be able to actually hit anything with a weapon...).

Sure, using Faith to actually shoot arrows is probably more of a fun aspect than any real help (unless you can hit something and Faith has crushing blow... too lazy to look it up), simply because a Necro isn't an Amazon --- when it comes to bow-shooting, nothing really beats Strafe..., but with the Fanatsim aura I see no real reason to discard the build as "not a cookie cutter build".

Hm... I think I'm getting too much into the "I don't know Faith" trap, but if Faith doesn't have Knockback then that's another advantage over Windforce. Knockback is great for an Amazon (she only has 2.5 minions, counting Decoy as half a minion...), but if the bow is supporting a skeleton army, I wouldn't want Knockback knocking the monsters away from my skeletons. "Pullhere" would be much better :)

13. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

Pardon my ignorance if this is the case since I play singleplayer, but how many necros have you seen on the realms actually using a faith bow?

14. IzZ-Lethal

::::me! lol::::

15. cracked sash

cracked sash IncGamers Member

I was thinking about it myself, but I can't give up the plus skills and +80 res all from my Hoto and Humunk. My resistances would really hurt in hell with Faith. Having the bow on switch doesn't work for me either because I have 280 MF Crystal Sword and Monarch on weapon switch, so you see MF is more of a priority. I have invested in life and block so I could drop my last 20 skill points into poison dagger for the AR and start swinging a Beast around, only thats less res and + skills for the army as well.

-Sash

16. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

I love how the guy wearing full Trang's is ripping on a Faith user as being cookie cutter like he's the creative one or something. Faith hasn't even been out long enough for people to add it into their build guides. How can it be cookie cutter? Heck, how many commandomancers out there do you see period? Surely not as many as you see Summoners and Poisoners wearing full trangs who dont even use the fire skills.

17. #endgame

#endgame IncGamers Member

I recall seeing another build guide that involved the insight and edge runewords - which required the necro to use a bow. What's so bad about losing a little +skills, can't you prebuff your skellies anyway?

It all depends on what your priorities are.

18. JanusJones

JanusJones IncGamers Member

What about an Ice bow with Lower Resist and skelly mages?

19. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

my last necro still has a xbow on switch - he was meant to fight along with his minions. but once he entered NM, that idea faded away as his AR steadily dropped.

Besides Faith, all the other missile wpn runewords and even WF could be tried on necro, but his AR will suck in Hell - at least, if not also in NM. (to verify, just find a monster in Hell act4/5 for your necro in bow/xbow mode and then check his chance to hit the monster). Ofc, there is always a way to fix his AR. But the cost can be really high.

Also, switching gear back and forth can be a real pain.

It's fun to pull out a bow and just shoot arrows into the air - that's cool! (The little fire dmg from my vampire necro can't put a dent on anything in Hell, but I love to have him shoot Fb all day long - just for fun. my xbow-using necro stopped using the xbow in Hell because his resist would drop to zero in bow mode, and 1 death would be more than enough to cancel all the fun with his xbow. BTW, in Hell diff, I don't use full trangs set: no vampire, no fb - there is only HELL:)

20. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

I've done a summoner using a faith bow...and had a waheed with pride weapon...and though my horde killed much faster than using beast...I just like to be able to go into battle myself...and beast was better for me because of that.

HoS