Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Kubuntu 6.10 killed my computer.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Drosselmeier, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier Diabloii.Net Member

Kubuntu 6.10 killed my computer.

Last night I got dragged off by an impulse to install the new Kubuntu realease. I downloaded the4 live-CD, burned it on the only empty CD I had lying around. This CD was a few years old. The first time I booted up using the CD I checked it for errors, and there were none. I started installing.

When the progress dialogue got to 75% (building system locales) it froze up. I left it like that for about 90 minutes hoping against hope that it would sort itself out. Nothing else worked in the end but cutting the power off. This broke my computer, pretty much. Luckily for me I had an old Ubuntu CD on the shelf. Without that I would have had problems getting to my windows installation (on separate disk) since the (GRUB) broke when I interrupted the installation.

After installing Ubuntu I checked the Kubuntu CD again and. This time there was a checksum error. I did not remove the CD from the drive between the first check and the attempted install, which can only mean it degraded while I was installing.

Let this be a lesson to you all. Do NEVER use old cd's for stuff like this. EVER.

There's also a question in all this. Is it possible that the problem was caused by something else than the CD breaking? Could there have been some sort of hardware incompatibility causing the install to go haywire? I had no problem booting up Kubuntu from the CD, and I've been using Kubuntu 6.06 without any problems for several months.

2. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

It's possible that something could have gone wrong, it is a computer, after all. But since it was an old CD, it was most likely that. The reflective part could have been ok for the burning process, but it just couldn't hold up any more after that.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I've heard of bad things happening with Edgy Eft, that might have also caused it.

Some times installs just go wonky, the CDs that have been made in the last several years(after 2000) are of good enough quality to do the install. I still use CDs I burned in 98, way back when it was still a cool new feature.

4. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

I remember getting my first CD burner, buying the CDs, and sitting at home trying to find something to burn onto it. I think I ended up burning one song.

5. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier Diabloii.Net Member

Whatever it was it's fixed now. I got the DVD-image instead and installed it. Worked fine that time.

I'm not so sure I like it though. Some stuff is all messed up. The interface for the adept package manager for example. Unusable. And the pre-installed programs are all crap. How the hell can they not ship it with sucky Kaffeine instead of Mplayer? Why no firefox? Is it really necessary to exclude ff just to push for Konqueror? It'll take some time to track down all the stuff I need. The only useful thing it comes with is amaroK. On top of that I've already had a program crash on me. Took lees than an hour! I'm starting to regret this.

2/5