Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

KTA 2.0 Pre-Hell leveling

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Syxx, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Syxx

Syxx IncGamers Member

KTA 2.0 Pre-Hell leveling

Hi All,

Well, where to start .....

KTA-Minx died last Wednesday in Act 1 Hell, so over the weekend she was rebuilt and with help from the others KTA I managed to get her to level 48 in Act4 nightmare, prior to meet up with the other for last night adventuring.

I started a little early than normal, in order to try and catch up some more. Our Barb KTA-Solid joined me, and together we faught and killed Heph (got a DOL rune) and Diablo. Then we did a couple of quests I was missing in Act 3.
    Solid had found Lycinder Flank (very nice spear) previously while leveling his Merc, which he generously passed on to Minx.

At this stage the rest of the team arrived, and we did Anya, Ancients and Baal. Then we did a number of Baal runs, to get Minx some more levels, and see if we could find any decent items for the group.

Our third Baal run, Minx finall got enough strength and dexterioty to use Lycinder Flank. With this spear and enchant from our sorc, Minx was doing 1400-2700 damage. Add to this a level 24 Lightening Strike, and she was rocking and rolling .... UNTIL ..... she met some Oblivion Mages and got IM'ed. 1 hit, refected back and Minx was seeing deeds again. Instant death, which initially confused me as my life (with BO and Oak) was over 3000. Then I realised being a good zon, I had 50% plus in critical hit ... meaning double damage reflected back .... 5400 ... was more than enough to toast me.

I don't know who was more stunned, me or the rest of the party. All that effect in a fast rebuild to rejoin the team, gone in the blink of an eye.

After I left the game, I started thinking about what to do now ... and being an addicted HC diablo player, I naturally started again ... with another spearzon. Is this a case, of "getting back up on the horse after falling off" ... or being "too stupid to learn from my mistakes". Either way KTA-Minx is back, level 18 and just about finished Act 2.

I hope the rest of KTA had a more enjoyable evening than I did. As usual, a pleasure playing with you all.

Regards Syxx / KTA-Minx

(PS At least I passed on the DOL before dying :)

2. GIR

GIR Banned

D'oh. Not having very good luck, are you?

3. Syxx

Syxx IncGamers Member

Hi GIR,

Nope, the gods are Diablo are really testing me. First they give me a great big spear with heaps of Damage ... then they IM me ... so I can see what its like to be on the receiving end of that great big spear. It hurts ... big time :)

They give with one hand ... and take with the other.

Regards Syxx

4. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Hi everyone!
    I think we all got stunned by your death last night. I guess we all got a bit too confident, cruising through NM Baalruns with no real danger, and didn't look carefully around the next corner and warning each other for Mages.

This could maybe have been avoided if someone of us had given shout as usual "IM Alert" or whatever...

It's a pitty that IM is so devastating for Melee chars, even a one-hit attack can totally screw you over :(

But no point in bringing up that discussion again.

On to more important issues. I'm impressed that you have the stamina to rebuild once again. I hope that you can return soon (next week) and be part of the team again :) We missed you after your departure last night!

Hell Andy went down in flames at the end of the evening, and apart from Syxx death it was a fun and enjoyable evening...

I'm off this thursday for some skiing in Hemsedal and wednesday we have an after work get together, so I'll see you monday for next round. I'll try to log on when I get back wednesday evening and see if you still are online (or if I log on before I go and leave my char in the game, can you get the Duri quest from Town?) /Magnus

5. Malbortus

Malbortus IncGamers Member

Oww MAN! My heart bleeds for you, Syxx. :hanky:

This just goes to show that old habits die hard. IM used to only be a factor at the Chaos Sanctuary for 3 years, and then 1.10 goes and adds it to the Worldstone Keep.

I guess that in KTA 1.0, all those calls weren't for nothing:
    'im'
    'im'
    'yeah I know'

Hats off to your third go, though. It shows a lot of character. Learn and live!

Cheers,
    Mal

6. Syxx

Syxx IncGamers Member

Hi Mal,

Character or pig-headedness ?

Actually, my 3rd rebuild almost became my 4th, as I tried soloing Duriel at level 18, when the other people I was playing with baled out of the game leaving only me ... with Duriel who was down to 1/6 life left. I could smell Act 3 ... and Duriel just needed a few more hits to die, so I didn't really want ot abandon the game. Problem was I ran out of purple bottles, and being froozen by the big bug was almost the death of me a number of times. Pure luck and fast drinking saved my life. In the end, sense finally prevailed, and I quit the game to fight again another day.

7. Chiller_babe

Chiller_babe IncGamers Member

Well Syxx I can tell you I am in awe of your staying power with this Zon :worship:

GL with KTA-Minx III and I will be online from 20.30-01.00 CET tonite if you need a hand. Accs *starkr *Chiller-Babe and *Chill_witch will be at your disposal should you but whisper:)

I am currently levelling a couple of characs through norm so would be delighted with the company.

O and you have convinced me is no way I'm likely to play a pure spearazon in 1.10 Hybrid Maybe?

I don't know if I'm weird but I almost feel worse watching someone else get deeds than if it's me (unless I just smoked their *** with a dueler :surprise: ) - especially with such a nice group to play with.

I must also say I enjoyed Act 1 Hell very much and except for my excursion chasing the lone and fleeing Fallen I think we played together really quite well.

Looking forward to Wednesday - and I may see some of you before.

Signing off to RL

Chill

8. Kevman

Kevman IncGamers Member

Levelling Tonight

If you want help levelling in norm - Ill be free from 7:30(ish) until 10.

I have a paladin whose about 21 or 22, or I can bring in several other characters.

Chill can vouch for me (I hope... :D )

Ill be on as *ansettman, or *unoob.

Condolences.........

Kev

9. Chiller_babe

Kev you completely confused me messaging from the *unoob account :scratch:

Thats why the answer was a bit vague - I've had a couple of incidents with people I've hunted down whispering me from accounts I didn't know :)

Mind you they usually aren't very polite, so I should have known it was someone nice!

Chill

10. Kevman

Kevman IncGamers Member

Unoob

Well I havent played that account in 1.10 - so its not so well known :lol:

Ended up getting a hell pa from Jsiv anyway for my Windy Druid.........
    (The UM is in the post - honest......)

Wifey will be watching Brits tonight, so I feel some D2 Norm levelling may be in order (Syx - give me a shout :))

I'll be in gatnorm for anyone whose interested...........

Didnt know about your other acct either :)

I think the gat forums should have a list where we can put up our accounts???

Would help enormously - as Friends List is only 25 long........

Kev

11. Syxx

Syxx IncGamers Member

Hi Chiller,

A pure melee zon is probably not a viable build in 1.0 .... however a hybid build is ... at least I think it is ... I just need to live long enough to prove it :)

A dirty great spear and Lightening Strike can really mow down the monsters. However certain boss mods, and IM can end your life instantly, so in these cases, you would need to swap to a range attack. This is where a javalin or throwing spear and Lightening Fury come into play.

What is rather nice is that Lightening Strike (LS) and Fury L(F) are synergies for each other.

My problem is I really like LS ... and use it when I shouldn't. I also do not play conservatively enough

Thanks all for offers of help with the rebuild. I will take you up on this.

Regards Syxx

12. Silvervixen

Silvervixen IncGamers Member

Hi all,

and thx for a fun game last night. It was a blast as usual except for the dieing part but good to hear your rebuilding Syxx

I'm currently in the process of building a new bowazon, and i'd really like to hookup with all of you to night. I'm currently lvl ~18 and starting act 2. So Row, uNoob and Syxx do we have a date. I’ll probably be kind of rushing my Zon, just so you know.

And Det have you started your new Enchantress already, We’d love to have you coming along :D (oh and on a second note didn’t you find a razortail in one of our runs?)

Hope to cu all to night.

Vix (Silvervixen-III)

13. det

det IncGamers Member

Yes i have a Razortail, but my Enchantress is yet unborn. Will be home around 20:00 - 20:30 CET, so it would be nice to see you all.

Yesterday was fun, though we still get split up - a KTA 2.0 specific problem. You all have said how bad we felt about Syxx death, so i cannot really express my feelings any stronger. I too could not believe my eyes when i saw the message... didn't even see the death happen. It suddenly made me realize how lucky I was with my non-KTA Kicker/DS assassin earlier that day. An IM took 50% of my 900 HP's. But because my damage was really sad ( and half of it elemental based) and I rely on CB, I was saved.

Hope to catch you later

14. GIR

GIR Banned

What are the classes you all play when your together?

There's two things that you have to be aware of at all times. First, be aware of what's going on to your character. Second, for future reference, have a team plan to deal with this, such as when your melee characters get the ol' Iron Maiden thrown on them, have them back off and let your Casters handle them until Iron Maiden wears off. Or, maybe better or worse, depending on how practical it will be in various situations, have the Iron Maidened melee characters act as tanks/distractions to allow the Casters to do their thing in relative safety. Whatever you do, as a team, you all need to act as one. Have a plan, and make sure everyone knows it. Be creative. If you have a Bone Necromancer, if an Iron Maiden curse happens, he could cast a Bone Wall between the monsters and the meleers, which will let them back off, and still let the Casters do their thing in relative safety. Everyone just needs to know their role, and how to act under the various potentially serious/life threatening circumstances.

15. det

det IncGamers Member

Yep, KTA 1.0 really planned ahead what party would kill in a breeze and we swept the monsters away We were like all out ranged, with a Barb and pally leading us. They got stunned, convicted, Tornado'ed, Orbed, Meteor'ed, FA'ed and Decrep'ed

This is why for 2.0 we decided to let everybody chose a class they want to test out for fun, hoping a barb and Druid would be among them. This way we ended up with a party that is still very strong and fun, but not as much planned ahead for maximum killing power. (e.g had a fire and cold sorc before, now an enchantress and no cold damage skill...but rather 6 melee 1 hybrid, 1 ranged..of which 2 use lightning based skills.)

Guess for KTA 4.0 we try to play while moving the mouth with our m
    tongue and hands tied behind the back or so :lol:

16. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Good points :)
    In KTA[1.0] I played one of the tanks, a barb, and thx to the killing power of our ranged attackers I could easily act as just a tank as soon as we engaged Mages. But at least I could use my Warcries (Warcry et.c.) to help out the party. Many melee chars can't do anything in those situations, just stand there and wait...

The Bone Wall thing was a creative idéa :)
    Can you cast Bone Prison on anything else than monsters, let's say a party member? That would be a life saver :lol:

/Magnus

17. det

det IncGamers Member

I think maybe Life Tap (50% life returned) could save you..

Funny that we now have red user names..goes well with my yellow hair.

18. Chiller_babe

The Bone Wall thing was a creative idéa :)
    Can you cast Bone Prison on anything else than monsters, let's say a party member? That would be a life saver :lol:

/Magnus[/QUOTE]

Ahh a reemergence of the Annoyancemancer!

If any1 starts spamming bonewall/bone prison when I'm in WSK with a bunch of gloams I will be sooooO annoyed I will have to come back and haunt you as a ghost!

Hold on wait - I will be a ghost :idea:

I just think that a melee party was always going to have a few troubles in hell - I mean I have like a 20% chance of hitting anything before Conviction - so if I need a res aura up I'm a sitting duck - But hey it is fun.

Chill

19. Vectom

Vectom WWN Europe Member

Hi, I've just made a 4PT armor (dusk shroud) and 3PT mask from the things we found and put them together with CG's (found yesterday doing andy hell, though they have only 29%MF) to one of our mules...

So, did we say that det will be our mf-char? (could you dress it up when boss is up to die, det?)

Hope Syxx will get online soon, so Minx could get ready to join us in the evening...we have to make it honey :flip:

Btw, I have bad experiences with Bone Prison. Do you know the Arm of King Leoric wand? It has chance to cast BP...I used it on my zookeeper and nearly every run in WS2 (hell) I got stucked together with a nearby Black Souls (or whatever) and almost died...boxing ring anyone? :teeth:

Vect

20. GIR

GIR Banned

With Bone Prison you run the risk of trapping people in there with the monsters, that's why I recommended Bone Wall.