Koran Desecration Investigated as a Hate Crime at Home, Still Okay in Guantanamo

Koran Desecration Investigated as a Hate Crime at Home, Still Okay in Guantanamo

Yeah, okay, so the thread title's a wee bit inflammatory. :teeth:

At any rate, thought it was quite interesting to note that a Koran desecration incident in Tennessee is being investigated as a hate crime while people across the nation laugh at anyone suggesting that desecrating it in Guantanamo Bay is somehow okay.

http://www.newschannel5.com/content/news/12326.asp

Metro Nashville Police said someone burned the Koran, the holy book of the Islam, and left it at the door of the Islamic Center of Nashville Wednesday.

They said human feces were also left on the center's porch.

“This is what we consider our way to Heaven and our way to our Lord. We communicate with him through this book,†said Abdulhakim Mohamed, a mosque prayer leader.

Mike Hagar of the Metro Police department said, “The community is rightfully outraged about it, and the police department takes it very seriously. We have specialized investigators who have responded to the scene to investigate this, and we will investigate it appropriately.â€

Metro Police were investigating but said they did not immediately have any suspects.

Dirty_Zulu

Diabloii.Net Member
Cutting throat of your prisoner is ok. Tripping over your prisoner's religios book is not. :rolleyes:

I care more of my kitty litter than the Koran. Just another book for me.

Draconis

Diabloii.Net Member
Should leaving burning crosses outside the houses of non-whites be considered the same way, DrunkPotHead?

Nword

Banned
What about desecration of the bible in other countries... Sounds like reason enough for the US and christians in general to stop giving them aid. [/sarcasm]

Herald of Doom

Diabloii.Net Member
Them doing something wrong should never be the reason to do it yourself. You're responsible for you own deeds, don't copy bad behaviour of others. "they do it too, so i'm allowed to do it" is I bet the nr 1 reason of severe conflicts everywhere...

HoD

DrunkPotHead

Diabloii.Net Member
Draconis said:
Should leaving burning crosses outside the houses of non-whites be considered the same way, DrunkPotHead?
Yes. Unless it can be proven that it's a threat.

The case with the Koran and the feces doesn't sound like a threat but more of a "i hate your religion" type statement.

Your example sounds more of a threat. However, i could be wrong because burning crosses can be associated with mob lynchings while the example above doesn't bring to mind the same type of behavior. If it can be shown that the example in the first post was meant as a threat, then it should be treated as one.

DrunkPotHead said:
The case with the Koran and the feces doesn't sound like a threat but more of a "i hate your religion" type statement.
DrunkPotHead said:
Hate crime seems a bit much.
I think there's a reason it's being investigated as a hate crime.

At my college someone once left feces in the bed of a known homosexual's pickup truck the day after some major school event that he had led or another. It was investigated by the local police as a hate crime. They didn't find the person and file charges, but regardless, similar action was taken. What's so wrong with investigating this case?

DrunkPotHead

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
I think there's a reason it's being investigated as a hate crime.

At my college someone once left feces in the bed of a known homosexual's pickup truck the day after some major school event that he had led or another. It was investigated by the local police as a hate crime. They didn't find the person and file charges, but regardless, similar action was taken. What's so wrong with investigating this case?
I see burning the american flag and burning the bible/koran/etc as the same form of free speech. Not very popular, but still legal.

In the example you gave, i would consider that a crime but it would be tresspassing and defacing private property rather than a hate crime.

Edit: forget the tresspassing unless it was in the seat of the car. I somehow misread and assumed it was on the kids bed in his room.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkPotHead said:
I see burning the american flag and burning the bible/koran/etc as the same form of free speech. Not very popular, but still legal.
I think that really puts a spotlight on the slippery standards - why should this be a hate crime, yet flag-burning not? Because nationalism or politics are somehow exempt from hate? ROFL

jmervyn said:
I think that really puts a spotlight on the slippery standards - why should this be a hate crime, yet flag-burning not? Because nationalism or politics are somehow exempt from hate? ROFL
It's an interesting point, but I'm not sure I agree. You're both right that it's very similar, however, and is indeed a tough slope to manuever.

The difference, as I see it, is in the intent. I don't see someone taking a crap on a Koran, lighting it on fire, and leaving it on the doorstep of a local Mosque as a protest or political statement of some kind. It seems to be a fairly clear statement of hatred or plain contempt.

Someone burning a flag during a street protest to symbolize their being fed up with the direction the country is going in is a little different.

Not sure if that makes sense, but I'm trying to put it to words.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
llad12 said:
Manuals ... how nice!

That is all well and good except for maybe ... say ... this little boo:

US acknowledges torture at Guantanamo; in Iraq, Afghanistan - to the UN

:rolleyes:
Sorry, not sure why you cited that? Surely it is old news, even if we're telling the UN, and not relevant to the issue of Koran desecration, unless you've equated Koran desecration to torture?

Oh, yah, sorry - I forgot. How about we abbreviate it from now on - BLCD!!

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
It's an interesting point, but I'm not sure I agree. You're both right that it's very similar, however, and is indeed a tough slope to manuever.

The difference, as I see it, is in the intent. I don't see someone taking a crap on a Koran, lighting it on fire, and leaving it on the doorstep of a local Mosque as a protest or political statement of some kind. It seems to be a fairly clear statement of hatred or plain contempt.

Someone burning a flag during a street protest to symbolize their being fed up with the direction the country is going in is a little different.

Not sure if that makes sense, but I'm trying to put it to words.
Actually, I think you're proving my point. :-D No kidding.

Besides, people dumping on, stomping on, or burning venerated objects all is protestant in nature.

llad12

Diabloii.Net Member
jmervyn said:
Sorry, not sure why you cited that? Surely it is old news, even if we're telling the UN, and not relevant to the issue of Koran desecration, unless you've equated Koran desecration to torture?
Your linked statement brought up torture and how we treat our prisoners "humanely".

Again:

jmervyn said:
As such, you introduced that topic, Jman. Therefore, be prepared for a rebuttal.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
llad12 said:
Your linked statement brought up torture and how we treat our prisoners "humanely".

Again:

As such, you introduced that topic, Jman. Therefore, be prepared for a rebuttal.
Funny, I thought the words were that we had manuals, and they had manuals, and the statement was pointing out the disparity. I guess you don't see one... BLCD!

EDIT - Phew, it's nice to be back to {reality(?)} Too much consensus was making me queasy.