Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Kodiak's Legacy

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Weltkriegpally, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

Kodiak's Legacy

Hey guys. I reallize I don't post in here too much, although I do keep an eye on the interesting threads. However, I do have an idea for a werebear, after I helped a friend make one. Here goes::

The werebear is a take off of my old bear (naturalwrath) and my friend,s bear (BigOldKodiak), who got several excellent duelers started. Since he gave me his accounts, I have been meaning to get him remembered somehow, and for some reason, a good werebear dueler seemed like an excellent idea.

Skills:: 20 HoW
    20 Maul
    20 Werebear
    20 Fireclaws
    20 Lycanthropy
    1 Shockwave
    finishable by level 93....

OK, I am going to use duped charms, so if you don't approve, please don't read on. However, I am thinking what I have in mind is only doable with this setup, given what I have seen and tested.

39 3/20/20s
    1 annilihius

Gear:: Crown of ages, 2 all sockets, 15 dr, 20-30 resist, blah..
    ethereal stone archon would be best...2-3k defense
    shaeled storm
    trangs belt<--gives more life than verdungos, don't need any other mods beyond cbf
    1 angelic ammy and 2xrings
    110 ias, 93 ed phase or 1 shael, 3xed/ias grizwolds caddy
    gloves...open for suggestions here, ik maybe
    boots....travs, ethereal treks, ik maybe for life/ar/frw
    for casters, giant thresher, 3 shaels/3resist/ias jewels and 10 ias gloves

stats are dex for block, all strength. with this setup, I know I will hit 4.5k life by level 80, more of course by level 93.

with the phase, it is 1.2k uncharged maul damage in town, about 2k outside of town, with HoW and the angelic setup, I will hit 27k ar.

I should hit approximately 15-20k defense with all prebuff (level 39-40 werebear prebuff, 33 HoW)

Now for the few questions I had. I hit 86 fhr with the CoA, and max dr, so what do you guys recommend for the sockets? I have all necessities covered, methinks. Perfect rubies, maybe? Each one adds over 150 life after prebuff. Other mods are acceptable, too. No real clue. what boots do you recommend? Other switches for casters, or just some general advice on what I might find among the higher dueling circles? Please help me out here. I am no noob to werebears, but good advice is ALWAYS appreciated.

Thank you for reading!
    --welt

2. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

Who exactly do you plan on killing with 2k dmg and no runwalk?

Garbad

3. Weltkriegpally

remember, that is 2k uncharged with the phase. After charging, it hits approximately 3.1k damage at 4 frames with a mixed stat bear (kodiakmyth, useast is also trying to bring back the wb as a dueler.) I will post a screenie of the stuff to prove what I can. With a charged maul on a grizwolds caddy, he hits 4.5-4.7k damage at 5 frames. Mine will be all strength, as I consider 4k life more than enough. However, for caster duels, I switch out to an enigma, range 5 weapon, and can go over to a cats eye if I want, or a good resist ammy. For casters, I should have 115 r/w or so (enigma+cats+40 frw boots), and maxed appropriate resists. I don't necessarily need too much ar to hit most of the casters, so that shouldn't be a problem. Does this clear up any confusion?

--welt

4. VictusMetuo

VictusMetuo IncGamers Member

Finally making the Hybrid Welt? I'm in the process of making one but I'm trying to decide what way I want to go exactly with skill points. Well I will try and add some things here and there.

You tried all this out with Maul already? For my SP one with mix of Shape/Life and Max/AR/Life he had 2k Damage, and I figured you would have a bit more if you focused on the SC's and had more in WB. If that's what you hit for sure, then I might think of changing to the Shape/Life because it will make your FC gain a bit. That was also a Vita Build, so the numbers don't seem quite enough for your Str Build. It was 2k and ~5.5k FC. I think I will test the damage out later today to see what I get, but your gear is a bit different than what I would choose and had. You should get ~15k Defense if you have an Archon with more than 3k Defense.

Itamz are okay, for the GT setup you will need 15% OIAS total, so unless I'm missing something, you need another 5%. For the 1-Handed gloves use Steelrends, more Str and more ED, pretty nice gloves. Boots I'd stick to Travs. For the Helm, if you don't have enough Resists, I would definitely put that in there, some nice Jewels if you have them. If you have max Resists, or close to it, then P-Rubies are probably the best thing to put there. Caster gear isn't that hard to come across, just gear towards Resists. Change your AR gear out for Resist Gear since unless we are talking about Paladin's they likely won't have that much Defense anyway, and again if they aren't Hybrid's or have some sort of Physical Damage, it's that much easier. You could switch out every slot and leave your Armor. Of course add in Run/Walk to catch people. Higher dueling circles just takes practice to learn the build obviously and how to deal with builds of your opponents.

Edit: NVM about damage, I saw your reply that it was uncharged.

5. Weltkriegpally

well, I am going with fireclaws because it hads big ar boost, as always, and it seems much easier to hit with than, say, maul. Having seen this tested in duels, even a little maul charge is often enough to wallop wolves or others very well. stun lock is still very possible. also, the stone armor will give it a nice little boost for about 1k fire damage or so. Really, this is a mauler build, but since mauls damage and stun carries (can't complain here), then fireclaws is the perfect compliment. I am going with the defense, because with a 2k defense stone sacred, non ethereal, he hits 10527 defense, I believe. Like I said, I have actually tested this stuff out with kodiakmyth. He is using an almost identical setup to what I would use. However, I want more strength, slightly less life, and therefore more damage. Travs isn't a bad idea for the phase, others are decent choices if I can get them.

giant thresher requires 15 ias??? I was just playing with TheDragoons calculator, and it says it needs only 10. I guess there could be a mistake there, or I just read it wrong. Steelrends, eh? Good idea, wonder that I didn't think of those. Nice defense, too. Also, I will post a screenie or 2 of this stuff to prove some of my points about him. However, I will need some help from one of you so that I can post them. I don't know how (very sad). Thanks for the nice reply. I will try and get him started and see what can be done about making the werebear feared again!

--welt

edit:: whoops, read it wrong. I will go with 20 ias gloves, then for the giant thresher to hit 4 frames. Thanks for pointing that out, victus.

6. VictusMetuo

FC is Unblockable now, so it's an even bigger help. You're of course going for the more Maul oriented build, which is what you talked about before. Since FC got a huge addition in damage with synergies, the armor, and going through block, I thought of focusing on that. However I plan on having a few different Bears and moving gear between them to try out different things. With the Phase, you don't get quite as much damage per Charge, so that's another thing I looked at. I liked the Skill Charms also because it left my Shockwave with the 9-Second Stun Swirl on them, so that actually worked out very nicely. Pre-Stun is :king:

Defense I tested out a Mauler with perfect Prebuff gear and he hit a little over 15k Defense. For you it might be a little different, I had two different items, which were Verdungo's and Jalal's. So yeah it should probably add a bit with the different helm, but I wouldn't expect a huge jump. If you go with the Caddy setup, I would use Gore's mainly because of the Open Wounds, which really got a huge boost now. The other mods on it aren't bad either, you just lose Life/Stats there. But boots are sort of a build to build, opponent to opponent thing. Steelrend's are just insane gloves for a Mauler, of course you could deal with 1.09 gloves. The new Elite's are all pretty good. Screens aren't hard if you have a server that will display them, or if you just need someone to put it up, I could if you e-mailed them to me.

Anyway, I'm here and will reply to whatever you need or have questions or ideas for. I need to get to work on my Bears, just getting items after being gone for so long takes time. I've got some help so I'm going in the right direction.

7. mythyras

mythyras IncGamers Member

the bear that welt has tested this on is my new wb (KodiakMyth), my setup is a bit different than his. Here's what i've got (keep in mind its for melee pvp only atm, gear adjustments for casters may come later, or I'll just use my wolf or shaman for casters).

Mine's a mixed stat build after gear i have 300+ str, min dex for max block, and about 180 vit.

Gear:
    jalals (p ruby)
    gris cady (105ias) <-- 5 frame maul (also have a 110 ias pb for a 4 frame maul)
    stone shadowplate
    steelrends
    travs
    angelic ammy
    2x angelic rings
    37/15 verdungo's
    cham ss
    3x fairly nice ar/life grands (all 110+/30+)
    anni
    30x 3/20/20's

Skills:
    Max HoW, wb, lycan, maul, fc (fc won't be maxed till lvl 93 and I am currently lvl 89)
    1 pt in shockwave and all prereqs for the other skills.

I have 4.7k life, 26k ar (maul), 30k ar (fc). and do about 1500 - 3k damage uncharged maul, 10k+ def

my prebuffs are lvl 39 lcyan/wb, and lvl 34 HoW.

I ran this build by welt and he liked it, but the two ppl that I got to help me plan this build were SlipperySac and YetiOgier (yeti doesn't play d2 anymore, and slipp's bear is basically retired).

I'll get a screenie of my stats w/ fc and maul posted sometime tonight. If I can find a place to host it up (not sure if my school account has enough room on it for them)

8. mythyras

ok, i tried getting the screenies loaded, but I have no place to upload them to :rant:

I have 8 in total (for both pb and caddy, uncharged and charged maul, fc, w/ maul charged and uncharged). If someone could post them for me let me know, also let me know which ones you think would be best to post.

9. VictusMetuo

I can upload them one way or another if you send them to me.

10. mepersoner

mepersoner IncGamers Member

I think the point Garbad was trying to make is that melee duelers really aren't viable without INSANE damage. At least vs. casters. :) If you're doing melee vs. melee you should be fine, but any decent caster will tear you apart.

-Mepersoner, Furry Admin

11. mythyras

I'll get them sent to you sometime this evening (I'll be at work, in class, or at a meeting until probably 5pm eastern or later) I'll plan on sending all 8 unless you only want a couple.

And dueling casters w/ a melee char is hard, atm the setup my bear has is only for melee vs melee. Since he is my first pvp wb, I figure I need to learn to duel melee with him, then maybe set him up to duel casters in the future.

Also a ton of damage is not always the best way to deal w/ casters, on my wolf I go w/ a range 5 weap, massive resists, massive runwalk, and try not to loose too much life doing this. I've had success in the past like this, but he currently doesn't have enough resists to duel in hell (I mostly duel in druidpk which is nm)

Also, has anyone played around w/ hunger in pvp, I know in 1.09 it was necessary but what about now?. aka Would it be worthwhile for me to put a point in it on my wb?

12. mepersoner

Meh, my wolf is built for clan-honor, if I equipped him for pubby dueling, I'd probably just change his FRW up. Currently he has like 3500 life, 25K AR, 12K fury damage, 30K rabies damage, and 140% FRW, maxxed resists, stacked cold and lightning.

-Mepersoner, Furry Admin

13. mythyras

I don't pubby duel much, normally just stay in druidpk.

In my melee setups my wolf has between 6 -6.4k life, 31-38k ar, and does about 5k max (w/ a 4 frame weap). But I don't have much r/w on him.

14. VictusMetuo

You'd have more damage anyway if you changed to the GT setup. But like I said, Caster's just need a setup change. That's common knowledge, so I don't see why it was brought up for the PB setup, because that's for Melee. But yes, start melee to get the hang of things.

Hunger has it's use, but it's mainly to take out summons somewhat. I got over 100 life for the setup I had for every SW, don't know what level the SoB was. So I don't know, I'm not going to totally going to exclude it yet and it's 1 point really.

And as long as you don't have them saved with a high file size [jpg is fine more than likely] then sending all of them is fine. I just don't know if my E-Mail can take a massive ammount.

15. mythyras

ok, I think they are in jpeg, I'll try and cut the size of them down as much as I can then send them to you.

I can't get your email address from the forums. So could you pm it to me and I'll send the screenshots to you. (Also I zipped them using winrar, if thats a problem let me know and i'll send them unzipped).

16. Weltkriegpally

frankly, I don't know why everyone thinks insane damage is necessary to win at pvp. When werebears used to duel, it was the insanely quick attack combined with stun that made it so powerful. Now that fireclaws can't be blocked, they should be even more powerful. I tried KodiakMyth last night against his own wolf (oaknmyth, widely acclaimed as one of the better wolves on east). Out of three duels, it went like this.

duel 1:: I do pretty well, down to within a few mauls of death, and a pop up happens....verdammt!
    duel 2:: somehow, I manage to get him into fhr mode and keep him there with a deadly strike setup at about 13k attack rating (more than enough for wolves) and maybe 4.1k life (about 1000 loss from normal setup). I win this one.
    duel 3:: duel him, get him down to about 50% life, and then freeze up and die. one of those whacky duels where you just don't do as well as you normally can.

my conclusion:: if it hadn't been for that popup, I might have won the first duel. It was most assuredly close. Bears are still damned viable. However, you have to fight defensively and keep them in lock once you engage. if they range you, back off and wait for them to make another mistake. rinse and repeat. I truly think bears are going to be one of the top duelers in melee once again.

--welt

17. mepersoner

vs. casters

-Mepersoner, Furry Admin

18. Weltkriegpally

well, I can't argue that insane damage doesn't help, but what about 4 frame block/stun lock? I imagine even the almighty necro wouldn't care for that, since you add about 2k fire damage to the mix. It isn't much compared to some of the other damage people could do, but it is enough to hurt. Frankly, some of the stuff my paladin mages feared wasn't the insane ith users (1.09), it was the speed of a wolf or zealot. Block lock blew chunks, and it still does. I guess that is my opinion, only time will tell. See you in the pubs!

--welt

19. mepersoner

I think fireclaws might work against people who don't absorb, but maul would be tough to break through a necro's bone armor. It's also a difficult move to hit moving targets with (more so than auto-hitting attacks). You'd be good to go once you got enough hits to charge the maul up a little, but it's getting to that point that's tough. I don't know, good luck, my mauler I reequipped and dueled a little with didn't do so hot. Maybe I was just out of practice. :)

-Mepersoner, Furry Admin

20. Black_Dog

Black_Dog IncGamers Member

If the bear can beat me... then i'll acknowlege it's viability...
    KodiakMyth has yet to beat Black_Dog... and hell, i'm still in the HoW stage (i'll use Oak when i get beat a few times)
    We'll see how well ur bear does, Welt... i look forward to dueling it...

i know that bears require more skill to play than wolves... that's why i don't have a pvp bear, cuz me = no skill ;)