Kodiak dueller?

Kodiak dueller?

I gonna make a kodiak druid with sword + stormshield

I use Azure + Storm for pvm

and for pvp i have this grief phase blade: 32 ias/374dmg

Is the grief good? Or do i need some ias from amulet or other equip?

bobofuzzlymunky

Diabloii.Net Member

i dont think a pb needs any more than 30ias. lol. i mean, there probably are higher breakpoints but i cant see the point of hitting them, grief is fast enuff and is damn good in pvp.

superjayson

Diabloii.Net Member

it's a 8 frame attack. some off weapon ias might bump it to a 7 frame, but still not fast enough.

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
First off, by Kodiak I assume you mean a Hunger Bear, not this build or this build.

From what I've been told, Kodiaks really suck in PvP. I never duel, so I wouldn't know, but I've been assured that recovery speed is very, very important, and Werebears have the third-worst recovery rate (ahead only of Sorcs and unshifted druids with swinging weapons), and the second-worst block rate (ahead only of Amazons with swinging weapons). Even with 65% FBR, you'll be blocking at 6 frames (which is slower than a Paladin with no Holy Shield and no FBR), and it'll take 86% FHR to hit that 6-frame recovery (while the Zon will have a 5-frame recovery, and a Paladin/Barbarian/Assassin will have a 4-framer and a Wolf will have a 3-framer). Also, PvP is also, I'm assured, all about damage- and Kodiaks get the majority of their killing speed from CB, which is very weak in PvP.

Now, as a very, very big disclaimer- I know VERY, VERY little about PvP. I have never dueled. Heck, I've only ever been hostiled once in my entire life, and even that was just a friend hostiling me to show me what it sounded like. As a result, I probably am not the best source to go to for this kind of information, but since I'm a very big fan of "theorycraft" as our WoW brethren would call it, I'll offer some suggestions that seem pretty reasonable to me.

First off, if you're going to PvP, Wolf is a lot better than Bear. You lose a frame worth of attack speed, but in return you get *MUCH* better AR, *MUCH* faster blocking, and the fastest hit recovery in the entire game. Second off, if you're going to use the Wolf, I'd pass on Hunger and run Rabies or Feral instead. Rabies and Feral both use the same animation as Hunger, so they're every bit as fast, but without the -75% damage penalty. Feral actually carries a decent enough damage BOOST (and when charged will actually leech better than Hunger, because more damage = more leech). Rabies doesn't have the ED%, but it deals poison damage, which is a very effective damage source in PvP. Plus, it'd be a very misleading build- people might think you're a poison wolf and try to keep you engaged in melee, when in reality you're packing heavy physical damage, too, so that's just where you want them.

With maxed Wolf and Rabies, you're looking at over +500% AR. With Wolf and Feral, you'll have almost +550%, which is just sick. With a Shael'd Azurewrath, you've got a 6-frame attack, which is just one frame slower than the Bear. Stormshield will have a 6-frame block (5 if you Shael it or use Guardian Angel). You'll have a 7-frame base hit-recovery (two frames faster than any other Hit-recovery animation in the game), and 42%/86% FHR will get you to a 4-frame or mindblowingly fast 3-frame recovery animation, respectively.

I know it's not a Werebear, but if you're making the build for PvP, I'd imagine it's a much, much stronger build. If you're going PvM only, go with the Werebear, because blocking isn't necessary (I usually advise against it), Hit Recovery isn't mandatory, CB is much more powerful, and Shockwave is the greatest Shifter Skill in the game.

Jary

Diabloii.Net Member
pffft...bull****e!

The kid wants to make a kodiak, wolf suckup....plus, anyone who's dueled a godly Kodiak (I for one have dueled one with my fireclaw and got rappped) knows that they can hold their own, but there are a few cases where they're just over their head >< tru tru

To answer your question though, no I wouldn't use a grief pb, because the loss of speed doesn't justify the 7-8 frame attack... you need to be able to land hits fast in duels so it just doesn't cut it.

Use a Griswolds Caddy: 1) shael & 3x15ias/40ed --> 5 frame attack
2) shael, 2x15ias/40ed, & Lo --> 6 frame attack

For the rest of the equipment, I suggest Cerebrus & Draculs for open wounds (open wounds is wicked at high clvl) and ar, and Fortitude for defense, life, and damage :wink3: .
Rest is sorta circumstantial, so u can fill in blanks :p
oh yeah, lots of life and damage charms, only like 2-3 SS GC's really needed.

(ps. Yeah werebears suffer fhr compared to wolves, but they make up for it with stun, higher defense, and lil' more life. why can fury wolves lose to bears? the weakness comes from the fact that fury has to attack all adjacent enemies first... so when u say go in a duel, if u run in with 5 wolves you'll run in about 3 hits on them of stun before they can cancel out your pets because they can't directly focus on the target like fireclaw or maul can with consistent frames speed too. Sry, thought I'd throw in that lil' tidbit too.)

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
pffft...bull****e!

The kid wants to make a kodiak, wolf suckup....
I have written
Werebear guides: 2
Werewolf guides: 0

Still want to call me a wolf suckup? :tongue: :laugh:

plus, anyone who's dueled a godly Kodiak (I for one have dueled one with my fireclaw and got rappped) knows that they can hold their own, but there are a few cases where they're just over their head >< tru tru
Which kind of Kodiak did you duel? There are two different kinds- the kind that use Maul, and the kind that use Hunger. I was referring to the Hunger build in my last post (so no stun, outside of Shockwave).

Jary

Diabloii.Net Member
I know they can be good 'cause I've dueled a couple that were verry good, that is all. I'm not attacking your credibility, its just if someone comes and asks "I need help with my rabies druid" and I go, "pfft, they suck just make a windy, they're better" how does that help the kid?

To answer your question, the pvp Mauler type. not hunger. After he owned me (NL-East)he showed me his equipment and it was something like this:
Jalal
Caddy: shael, 2x15ias/40ed,lo
Fortitude archon
Stormshield 'shael'
draculs
dungos
Highlords
2xpravens
sandstorm treks
googles and googles of 3/20/20's!!!
He had about 10k life

I know it doesn't seem like they should even be that great just looking at it from here, maybe its the stun or max block, but he was pretty good.

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
I know they can be good 'cause I've dueled a couple that were verry good, that is all. I'm not attacking your credibility, its just if someone comes and asks "I need help with my rabies druid" and I go, "pfft, they suck just make a windy, they're better" how does that help the kid?
I wasn't trying to suggest a different build so much as suggest a very similar build that would probably be more effective. The whole idea behind a Hunger bear is a superfast attack and CB. Since CB is less effective in PvP, I recommended a different superfast attack without the damage nerf. Then, because of the recovery rates, I recommended switching to a Werewolf. To me, I don't see all that much difference between the two builds except that the Bear was optimized more for PvM and the Wolf was optimized more for PvP, or at least so it seemed to me.

If the OP wanted to make the Maul version, I would have simply linked him to the excellent Kodiak PvP guide that already exists. Since he wanted to make a PvP build from a PvM build not optimized for PvP (or at least, that's how I interpreted it- I'm pretty sure he was referring to the Hunger bear, not the Maul bear), I tried to recommend the most similar build I could which kept the core principles while updating its effectiveness.

Jary

Diabloii.Net Member
Gotcha... sry for the mixup then:wink3:

@Superjayson,
naww... I had my fireclaw bear. I don't know how he'd have faired against fury but I'm sure that Rabies/Fury would "ezpk" him er something like that, because kodiaks just can't kill fast enough so it'd be like a guaranteed rabies each time... even maul vs Fury, fury hits faster. however, stun does help quite a bit, more than you'd think. I dunno, I really wish I coulda seen him take on a good fury wolf 'cause he was pretty damn good.