Known spells

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator
Re: Known spells

Well in the Known D3 Items (so far) thread you can see that there are a few items already that do much more damage. We don't know the attack speed of the ZW, so that might make a bit of difference, but still the damage soesn't sound too high.

Es Mors

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, for all we know they could have nerfed all the monsters to having max 10 hitpoints just for the gameplay video. Everything in there died quickly. So discussing numbers won't get us anywhere.

Beowulf

Diabloii.Net Member

skill notes i wrote up for wiki addition very soon. semi rough. not gone over the gameplay with a fine toothed comb yet.

firebomb -- this skill allows the WD to lob blazing projectiles, like molotov cocktails, at his enemies. They may be thrown varying distances, from most of the way across the screen to nearly at the WD's feet. The burning bottle tumbles end over end in mid-air, and explodes with a burst of flame when it lands, dealing fire damage and knocking back anything in the immediate vicinity. The spell seems to involve some sort of fire spirit, not just a flammable substnce, since a flaming figure is briefly visible overhead when the firebomb bursts. It also sets targets aflame, and they take continued damage from the fire for several seconds. There are fires left burning on the ground after a firebomb detonates, but these do not seem to deal damage to, or set fire to, targets that walk through them.

horrify -- This curse-like spell works like the terror curse (or the barbarian's grim ward skill), but functions almost like a terror aura; causing any mosnter near the WD to flee in fright. MOnsters in range are overcome with fright and immediately scatter, running away from the WD. The skill works by summoning a frightening spirit, which appears above the WD and screams and shakes its arms at the monsters. Presumably, any monsters that come into range while the horrify spirit is active are affected by it, essentialy making the WD a moving object of terror. This limits the skill as well, since it can't be cast on individual targets, or cast a great distnce from the WD. There look to be 2 durations; how long each individual fright lasts on afflicted monsters, and how long the frightening spirit remains over the WD's head, capable of horrifying or re-horrifying naything that comes into range. some monsters are seen being horrified twice by the same cast.

locust swarm -- This projectile attack works a bit like a bug-based inferno. The WD sends out a spray of green insects; they swarm over anything in range, and eat them to the bone, like flying piranha. Each swarm seems to last for a given amount of time, and if they kill one monster and still have some duration remaining, they will spread to others. they gain time by consuming each target though, and in a mob the locust swarm can act in chain lightning fashion, leaping from one enemy to another. a single swarm can last much longer than usual, killing a dozen or more targets if they are closely spaced. The locusts can also be sprayed on the WD's minions, where they will ride along, without hurting the minions, and grant poison damage to the minion's attacks.

mass confusion -- this curse-like mind control attack summons a blue spirit wherever the wd targets it. The spirit confuses some of the monsters in range, causing a aqua light to appear over their heads. Confused monsters seem to lose their AI, and they mill around more than usual. They may also attack, or be attacked by, other monsters. They are not the WD's minions though, and are not under his control, so he can kill confused monsters just like any other monster.

soul harvest -- this skill creates a nova-like ring of blue smoke aorund the WD. all targets within the ring are damaged, and if the damage is enough to kill them, their souls (white/blue ghosts) swirl into the air, then down into the witch doctor, where they presumably add to his mana or life. The radius of the skill is not very large, so monsters need to be nearly in melee range to be affected.

zombie wall -- This skill works much like the Necromancer's bone wall; causing a straight line of obstacles to erupt from the earth. Not merely obstacles though, this wall is made of zombified creatures who claw at and deal damage to any monsters who come into range. Monsters attack the wall on sight. The zombies are very powerful in the wwi 2008 gameplay movie, ripping every monster to shreds in seconds, but it's assumed the skill is high level, or the character has a lot of points in it, since it looks overpowered. The wall will theoretically serve a defensive purpose as well; blocking shots from ranged attackers. It's not known if it can stop the advance of larger monsters, who might just step over it or crush it.
Very nice.

Ed from Russia

Diabloii.Net Member

Allright, first subforum thread! :thumbsup:

Let's discuss the spells we have already seen:

Firebomb, Horrify, Locust Swarm, Mass Confusion and Soul Harvest. You can see them in action here.

Also, we saw the beyond awesome zombie wall in the gameplay video. I already look farward to playing with that.
Don't forget the summoning skills. I think in the gameplay vid there was a suggestion that the minions you saw weren't the only ones.

Cdnexpat

Diabloii.Net Member

I only saw the locus animation on the small window. Is it possible that it will look better on a full screen?

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator

Yeah, it seems these are regular mongrels which the witch doctor used firebomb on. You can see this pretty good right before the fight against the wood wraiths (~ 16:25).
That concept is actually pretty nice; summon your regular pets and grant them different powers depending which attack spell you cast on them.
As we saw in the gameplay video you can also cast Locust swarm on your mongrels. So you can possibly cast all kind of attack spells on your pets/summons to make them stronger. Interesting concept. This way you can possibly play more passive by "enchanting your pets/summons and just stay back, but still having uses for your attack spells.

Passive opposed to active gameplay.

UnderAge said:
It looks fine on HD
I agree. On HD the Locust Swarm spell just looks superb. Falling over enemies and spreading to others, devouring everything fast in their ways.

Locust Swarm seems LESS effective on single targets though. This is more something like chain lighting from D2, taking advantage of many targets to be effective.

Remy

Diabloii.Net Member

I like everything about the WD so far, but is everyone OK with the LOCUST Swarm skill? I mean, locusts are just grasshoppers. Can't they come up with some kind of hellish creatures instead? Hell Carrions, Plague Swarm, or whatever. Locust Swarm just sound like it's not fit to go up against the forces of Hell, not quite fearsome enough. Some cultures eat roasted grasshoppers in the real world.

Mad Mantis

Some cultures eat roasted grasshoppers in the real world.
Some people eat Bears, yet they are considered cool. Locusts are know for their ferocious appetite. They can be a true plague upon man. Not to mention their renown as a biblical plague. This legendary appetite is probably why they decided on Locust Swarm and not Insane Grue Swarm.

lionheart

Diabloii.Net Member

I liked a lot the soul harvest spell. The effect of it was pretty cool. Hopefully its something that u can increase to a fair ammount of damage, otherwise will be just some eye candy.

Weathersorc

Diabloii.Net Member

Don't forget the summoning skills. I think in the gameplay vid there was a suggestion that the minions you saw weren't the only ones.
The video says that the mongrel is one of the things the WD can summon, so the clear implication is that there will be others.

patriach owen

Diabloii.Net Member

exactly what i was thinking.. its hard too see whether he actually summons the firey mongrels or if they are mearely affected by a firebomb and burst into flames...

i would like it to be the firebomb optiom myself...

No one noticed the awesome sounds and screams the WD makes whenever he casts a spell? It sounds horribly, inhumanly nice.

Vizcire

Diabloii.Net Member

I can find up to three unknown spells in this picture.

To the very left there's a blue circle, which could be Soul Harvest, but that renders the picture just right of it unknown, the one with the light from the skeletons mouth. It might aswell be the other way around though, can anyone confirm the looks of the Soul Harvest skill?

Just below this button is a burning creature. Any ideas if this is some sort of inferno or ignite spell?

Just right of the cursor there's an unknown spell (the one to the left of the cursor is zombie wall). To me it looks like raise zombie - and I guess that isn't too farfetched for a witch doctor neither (voodoo and that sort of think you know). On the D3 official site it is also said that "the witch doctor also had at his command the ability to summon undead creatures from the netherworld to rend the flesh from his enemy's body" What do you think?

First post btw!

/Viz

Mad Mantis

When going through the first dungeon the WD is holding a sword that is glowing purple. Do you think that this is a spell effect similar to Venom and Enchant, or would this be the result of a magic property?

My guess is that since the WD has been using purples a lot in his skills and dress that it looks like that he has some kind of skill to increase his melee potential.