knockback nerfed since 09?

DEA

Diabloii.Net Member
knockback nerfed since 09?

i just got a giant skull
i noticed the kb doesn't seem to be as good as the kb on windforce, for example
with multi, i occasionally see the monsters get knocked away, and more often for strafe
but in the old days, they would ALWAYS get kb'ed
is something wrong? or did i just get a defective gs

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
i just got a giant skull
i noticed the kb doesn't seem to be as good as the kb on windforce, for example
with multi, i occasionally see the monsters get knocked away, and more often for strafe
but in the old days, they would ALWAYS get kb'ed
is something wrong? or did i just get a defective gs
First off, knockback is knockback, no matter where you get it. Knockback from GS operates exactly like knockback from Cleglaw's Gloves or knockback from Windforce. They're all exactly the same (and no, they don't stack).

Second off, I don't know if this is how it was in 1.09, but in 1.10 Knockback works at 100% effectiveness against small enemies (smaller than you), 50% against medium-sized enemies (about the same size as you), and 25% against large enemies (bigger than you).

The problem, I suspect, isn't that knockback was nerfed (I don't know if it was or not)... the problem is that MULTISHOT was nerfed in 1.1x. Currently, the vast majority of effects (everything except physical damage, elemental damage, and leech) will only apply to the center two arrows. This includes knockback. If you have a 16-arrow Multishot, the 7 on the left will not knockback, and the 7 on the right will not knockback- only the middle two will carry your knockback (or your Crushing Blow, or your ctc effects, or your open wounds, etc).

DEA

Diabloii.Net Member
this was what i suspected
so, gs becomes less than stellar for multi
in 09, it didn't matter how big the monster was, kb is kb, wf would just say "sod off, you little bugger"
sheesh
ok, change of gear

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
man...

a strafer with a giant skull and brand is starting to look like a really good build..
Not necessarily. Both Giant Skull and Brand have knockback. Having two sources of Knockback is redundant, and doesn't offer any benefit (sort of like wearing two sources of "Cannot Be Frozen" doesn't make you any more unfreezeable, or socketing six Jah's in a Phase Blade won't make you hit any better than socketing one. Knockback is knockback- either you have it, or you don't. I'd replace the Giant Skull with a better helm- if you want the Crushing Blow, Guillame's is a much better choice.

Also, another quick trick- anything that has "Slows Target By X%" will make Knockback more effective. If enemies are moving more slowly, you have more time to trigger KB on them before they reach you. Holy Freeze Mercs and a bit of cold damage will do the same thing.

ispankpigeons

Diabloii.Net Member
i was saying it looked good for the bone spear triggering on every hit + piercing +knockback, not for the duel knockback

Lord Nyax

Banned
Brand is just overall a really cool runeword. Ice also looks really cool, all those Frost Novas proc-ing everywhere. Either one of them is pretty awesome on a strafer.

bobofuzzlymunky

Diabloii.Net Member
i had a brand/ GS strafer once. was pretty seeing monsters move backwards as a magical bone missile shot thru them. problem= ias. 0ias gmb= crappy strafe.

ispankpigeons

Diabloii.Net Member
60 ias armor, mavs helm with a 15 ias jewel, nos coil, laying of hands, cats eye

60+45+10+20+20= 155% ias(if i did the math right)

that'd be enough for a strafer wouldnt it?

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
i was saying it looked good for the bone spear triggering on every hit + piercing +knockback, not for the duel knockback
I don't get why you'd need Giant Skull for that, though. The Bone Spear and the Knockback are both available on the Brand, and GS doesn't add a single drop of piercing. All Giant Skull offers is Strength, Crushing Blow, Defense, and Sockets- all of which are more easily available from a number of other sources (such as the aforementioned Guillame's Face).

DEA

Diabloii.Net Member
i've never liked strafe
because you need to target something in order to fire off your shots
true, the damage is better than multi, but multi is just so idiot proof
u can almost fall asleep in the pit with a multizon

JonProphet

Diabloii.Net Member
i've never liked strafe
because you need to target something in order to fire off your shots
true, the damage is better than multi, but multi is just so idiot proof
u can almost fall asleep in the pit with a multizon
Actually, no you don't, for strafe to go off you need someone in the vacinity. Hold down your shift button and put strafe on right click. Just hold down shift and fire away, if there are monsters in a certain area, you will autotarget and fire at them. As long as you don't click in the opposite direction of the monsters you'll pick them off.

-JD-

Virility

Diabloii.Net Member
DEA I dislike multi shot for exactly the same reason...I have to point in the direction of the mobs. Strafe is allows me to know where the targets are so i can position the decoy to intercept and change position to give pierce the maximum effect. I use multi only in the CS, works great.

Dacar92

Moderator: Community, D2 Zon, DH, Inc Clan Officer
DEA I dislike multi shot for exactly the same reason...I have to point in the direction of the mobs. Strafe is allows me to know where the targets are so i can position the decoy to intercept and change position to give pierce the maximum effect. I use multi only in the CS, works great.
This is true. Strafe is great for that very reason. In places like the Jail or Catacombs, I always fire a few arrows into the door I just opened. If strafe kicks in, there are critters. If not, it is clear to enter. That helps with a generally low life character like a zon.

Dacar92

Moderator: Community, D2 Zon, DH, Inc Clan Officer
Strafe is also helpful in Baal runs. While trying to clear the Throne before the first wave of minions comes, strafe willl auto target. I always notice that while I am strafing at targets off screen, others are running in the direction of my volley to help clear them out.

DEA

Diabloii.Net Member
ok, it works
but i noticed a few things
strafelock sticks you there for 1 second
and kb isn't 100% effective at sending monsters away from you
you guys using a a1 ice or a2 freeze merc?
i prefer multi because i spam multi and walk over to find everything dead
when using strafe i can walk over, and find some nasty bugger waiting for me
i don't know if that's because strafe has a shorter range (which wouldn't make sense) or because the autotarget doesn't target beyond a certain distance
when i use multi i recce by fire
fire off one multi, check for mana/life leeching
if no leech occurs, the area is safe and i move on