Knights of Westmarch Paladin Tournament

OldSoldier

Diabloii.Net Member

It is time to show those who have lost the way the folly of their deeds. It is left to the soldiers of righteousness to cleanse the land of all evil and make safe the realm for the innocents.

Put on the full armor of God, that you may be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the full armor of God, that you may be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Stand firm therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming missiles of the evil one. - Eph 6

This is a spiritual battle, of pure good versus pure evil. We, the Knights of Westmarch, did not start this war, but we will finish it.

Rules
1) Paladin only
2) HC untwinked only; if you die, your character is finished, but you may restart
3) RWM and RRM are allowed
4) Single pass only
5) Any players setting is allowed, change it as you desire
6) ATMA is OK as an extended stash, with a 51 item limit. Save Wirt's Leg so you don't have to go back through Tristram later in the difficulty. Mule other items that don’t make that cut to your grail stash or get rid of them.
7) Your character can only travel between acts and diffficulties in order to use quest rewards earned previously. Don't go back to pick up that HF merc if you're having trouble with crowd control in hell.
8) Baseline point scoring system
- +1 per level gained
- +4 per act completed in normal
- +6 per act completed in nightmare
- +10 per act completed in hell
- +5 bonus points each difficulty you can kill the cow king (this is an optional task)
9) There are five tiers for bonus scoring and difficulty, scored as follows
- tier 1 - no bonus points, least challenging, no gear restrictions, no stat or skill restrictions
- tier 2 - +1 point per act, one handicap from the list below
- tier 3 - +2 point per act, two handicaps
- tier 4 - +3 point per act, three handicaps
- tier 5 - +4 point per act, four handicaps for the ultimate challenge. You can try to play with 5, 6 or 7 handicaps for style points, but tier 5 is as high as the scoring goes.
10) The winner will be the player with the highest score at the end of the tournament. The tournament will end when no one makes a post for 14 consecutive days.

Bonus Point Handicaps
- 1) Blue/yellow gear only. This means that even if you find the Atlantean or have the runes to make a spirit sword, or are really itching to use Isenhart's Case, you cannot do so. This rule will not apply to your mercenary (he/she can wear whatever you can get your hands on)
- 2) 2H weapon only. This rules out the use of a shield for the entire game.
- 3) No merc resurrections. This means your merc is just as HC as you are. You can purchase more all you want but can not resurrect one. The special case for this is that you can resurrect the merc ONLY just before buying/receiving a new one. This simulates taking their gear once they perish, and you cannot fight with this merc. So in essence, if the merc dies defeating Mephisto and you step through that portal into hell without visiting Asheara first, you're on your own until you rescue the barbarians.
- 4) Attribute restrictions: 1 point in each Str/Dex/Vit/Enr per level, with the extra point and Alkor's reward allowed to go wherever. You can only save the one point per level (and Alkor) for later.
- 5) No equipment shopping or gambling. You can buy potions and scrolls, but nothing else, and you can't sell anything.
- 6) No repairs/recharges. You can only repair/recharge items using the cube, not townsfolk.
- 7) No buying scrolls, either ID or TP. Manage those Town Portals wisely. A purist would not even buy tomes, relying instead on finding them, but buying one each is OK.

For example, you could choose to be a tier 3 player by accepting two handicaps from the list above. If you plan on using Charge, going blue/yellow and 2H weapon would make some sense, and you'd garner a hefty 2 points extra per act completed. Once decided, there is no provision for changing tiers, you're stuck with it.

One-time Bonus Scoring
There are also certain builds that are more difficult than others. In an effort to pair each participant with their build and make it challenging and fun at the same time, there will also be a one-time bonus for choosing a tougher build. The builds and their point bonuses follow:
1) Abbot - Holy Bolt, Thornadin - Thorns (+25 points)
2) Converter - Conversion, Martyr - Sacrifice (+20 points)
3) Templar - FOH, Charger, Dragoon/Ranger - Aura + Missile (+15 points)
4) Zealot - Fanatic, Zealot - Conviction, Zealot - Fire, Smiter (+10 points)
5) Zealot - Holy Shock, Zealot - Frost, Avenger (+5 points)
6) Hammerdin (0 bonus points, but I will photoshop your picture with a block of cheese if you win)

If you decide to create a hybrid, say Smite + FOH, that would reduce to the lowest skill used, so the character would be classified as a smiter. Giving a bonus for playing certain builds may encourage people to stray from the norm. If you decide to change your style halfway through the character, fine, but forfeit your bonus points. An example of this is if you declare you'll be a thornadin but get smite to attack act bosses, you've just become a hybrid and must sacrifice the difference in points. You can never get more build bonus points once you start playing. Conversely, if you use a certain skill set to get through parts of the game, before your main attacks are available, you will not be penalized. An example of this is using sacrifice until zeal is available and zeal until vengeance is available.

If you develop a build that does not suit this list, you get the full 25 point bonus. An example would be a prayer zealot. If you become a hybrid though, sacrifice the difference between 25 and the other skill you rely upon.
Special thanks for this tournament go to roninDOG, who will co-host and developed the build bonus points idea, as well as provided a good sounding board for the ideas set forth above. Thanks also to Butzull who developed two more tiers to add more flexibility. Thanks also go to the golemancer tournament for their baseline scoring system of a per-act scoring rather than a WP and quest scoring. Thanks also to Jiansonz, who changed my points-paradigm into a +1/level one rather than a -1/level one. More levels is better in this tournament!

Code:
[highlight]Knights of Westmarch[/highlight]
[b][u]Forum Name      Character Name  Build         Tier  Location       Points[/b][/u]
JohnQPublic     Paul            Abbot          4    Lut Gholein     52
In the example above, Paul is a level 20 abbot that just killed Andariel. He gets 20 points for his level, 4 points for completing the act, 3 bonus points for being a tier 4 warrior, and 25 points for picking the hardest build possible. Compare this score to a hammerdin with no restrictions who would take until likely act 4 to get the same number of points.

Begin as you will, and may the hand of light guide your struggle.

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Knights of Westmarch Paladin Tournament

Sounds tempting OldSoldier. Funny that you start by quoting a holy book from the paladins, with the last one being the shield of aith... and then make one of the challenges to not use a shield at all! Imagine the challenge of making a smiter build with a two handed weapon only :p

Ok, on a more serious note. Could you give a bare bones skill laydown for the builds you mentioned? Because I have no idea for instance how to make an Abbot, or a Templar, or a Martyr... Etcetera.

EDIT : Just noticed the +1 per level score bonus. You want to encourage full clears? It's usually -1 per lvl, if I recall that netted you a slight victory once in a certain thrower barb tourney :p

roninDOG

Diabloii.Net Member

@Merlin - The idea is that more work in this tourney results in more points. As all good works of faith, while they may go unnoticed by mortals, do not go unnoticed by God. :grin: The more time you spend in the game leveling the more points you earn. Its not a race to finish the fastest, but to put in the most effort. As for the builds the primary skill is listed by the name of the build, so a Templar would use Fist of Heavans as the primary skill, a Martyr would use Sacrifice, and an Abbot would use Holy Bolt. The rest are up to the players discretion. If you have some other questions just let me know, Im pretty familiar with all the Paladin builds.

-rD

OldSoldier

Diabloii.Net Member

Take a closer look at the build variants section- you'll see that for instance "Abbot - Holy Bolt" tells us that an abbot relies on massive damage to the undead from holy bolt as well as healing to his merc in other situations. Typically, synergies would be maximized to make the build more powerful. Similarly, a Templar is a FoH-focused build, and a Martyr is a sacrifice-focused one. By all means don't hesitate to try out something different, which may not be in those categories. It'd be worth maximum bonus points.

edit: pwned by rD, faithful cohost.

FlimFlan

Diabloii.Net Member

I think I may give this a shot. I won the second tourney ever on the SPF (after tazoz won the first), but that was 1.09. I am quite sure that I have no chance of winning one in 1.11, but it should be fun to try.

erics

Diabloii.Net Member

Any chance of changing 4) Single pass only to 'no boss running'? If you want to encourage more work and higher levels it seems counter productive to limit leveling.

also is sc with end on death ok?

OldSoldier

Diabloii.Net Member

@erics, I want to keep it single pass only. That'll just encourage people to actually go into the stony tomb, the hole, ancient tunnels, etc. I'd like to pretend that each monster is HC and can only be killed once (barring minimal forays in already-explored space for practical purposes).

As far as SC one-death-only, sure, but doesn't HC hold more excitement?

zarfen

Diabloii.Net Member

Aahh, a good excuse to start a character :grin:
Just planning something before I get started, oh and what does this mean?
3) Templar - FOH, Charger, Dragoon/Ranger - Aura + Missile (+15 points)
I'm taking that it means that all "ranged"* paladins that use an aura goes undet that category, but just wanted to make sure.

*ranged as in using a ranged weapon, not as in casting spells (ie. bows, throwing knives etc.)

Edit: Mr. nitpick came up with more questions:
if you choose to go pure 2-handed as a restriction, can you use 1-h weapons without a shield? I'm guessing no, but at least can you use your 1-handed sword without a shield or bare hand combat until you score a short bow or 2-h hammer/sword when you start?

about where goes might/concentration go?

roninDOG

Diabloii.Net Member

@Zarfen - About the Dragoon/Ranger you are correct, essentially any Paladin using a ranged weapon, and any aura.

@FlimFlam - You can start now, if OS gives the ok. The table was above, but Ill repost so people can start using it.

Code:
[b][u]Forum Name      Character Name  Build         Tier  Location       Points[/b][/u]
-rD

OldSoldier

Diabloii.Net Member

The only spells you can cast as a paladin are HB, BH, and FoH, which are all specified in the builds section. This means that we're talking bows/xbows/thrown weapons, yes.

edit: sniped yet again! I'll use this post then to start my character, Bartholomew, who will be a tier 2 Templar. He'll be going with the blue/yellow gear only and attribute restrictions. As such my level 1 Templar has 16 points.

Code:
OldSoldier      Bartholomew     Templar         2   Rogue Camp       16

erics

Diabloii.Net Member

I've done the whole 'exciting hc' thing. I'ld like to continue playing the character after I inevitably die :rolleyes:

FlimFlan

Diabloii.Net Member

@ronin, I just saw the start now. Darn that reading comprehension thing!

One more question: If I plan on playing as a 2H pally, when do I have to switch weapons since I start out with a 1Her?

Heskla

Diabloii.Net Member

This is very tempting. I'm not sure how much time I'll have the next weeks but...

...if Zarfen joins I'll join!

erics

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm in.

Code:
OldSoldier      Bartholomew     Templar         3   Rogue Camp       16
erics           Theodred        HolyShocker     1   Rogue Camp        6

Last edited:

roninDOG

Diabloii.Net Member

@Flim - I think the consensus is use and abuse starting gear. Switch over to a two hander when you can afford/find one.

-rD

FlimFlan

Diabloii.Net Member

The only spells you can cast as a paladin are HB, BH, and FoH, which are all specified in the builds section. This means that we're talking bows/xbows/thrown weapons, yes.

edit: sniped yet again! I'll use this post then to start my character, Bartholomew, who will be a tier 2 Templar. He'll be going with the blue/yellow gear only and attribute restrictions. As such my level 1 Templar has 16 points.
Old Soldier, would you not be a Tier 3 since you have 2 handicaps (blue/yellow & attribute)?

@ronin Thanks again! You can call me Flan, as it was what everyone called me many moons ago (used to have the handle Flanimal).

OldSoldier

Diabloii.Net Member

Flan, you're right. I'll fix it next time I update the table, unless someone fixes it for me.

erics

Diabloii.Net Member

I changed my mind...it's the woman in me :wink:
Code:
erics           Theodred        Thornadin       5   Rogue Camp       26
OldSoldier      Bartholomew     Templar         3   Rogue Camp       16
restrictions:

1) Blue/yellow gear only
2) 2H weapon only
5) No equipment shopping or gambling
7) No buying scrolls

zarfen

Diabloii.Net Member

Dang, I was so pumped to start, but I realised I have my CD's in my appartment, so no d2 for me for a few days :tongue:

Now I'll at least have the time to decide between ranger, dragoon, charger or a crazy mix of all :tongue: