Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Kingslayer = junk?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by JCX, Feb 1, 2004.

1. JCX

JCX IncGamers Member

Kingslayer = junk?

Today I was doing the Hellforge quest with my frenzier and a Gul rune dropped. Now I was reviewing the runewords and I have Mal Um Gul and Fal to make Kingslayer, plus a 4 socker Zerker axe. Something tells me this runwords simply isn't worth the runes. Opinions?

+30% Increased Attack Speed
    +230-270% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    -25% Target Defense
    20% Bonus To Attack Rating
    33% Chance of Crushing Blow
    50% Chance of Open Wounds
    +1 To Vengeance
    Prevent Monster Heal
    +10 To Strength
    40% Extra Gold From Monsters

I'll probably hold on to the 4 socket axe until maybe FAMINE becomes available.

2. Evanta

Evanta IncGamers Member

It is indeed a little overpriced. But still good, just that a zerker axe is probably not a good base. Cryptic Swords would probably get better mileage out of the runeword.

3. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

When i first saw kingslayer's mods, i automatically thought of it as a slightly toned down fury with the highest rune being less expensive (gul instead of jah). If you are planning on whirlwind i would have to recommend a sword since they use the -15/-35 whirlwind bps which are achievable with such a runeword.

4. Skitril

Skitril IncGamers Member

Decent PvM weapon. Then again, Famine isn't all that great for the runes it requires (too bad about Fury, should have changed it to 300% ED).

5. StrikexForce

StrikexForce IncGamers Member

yea. fury is obsolete now.

6. Omikron8

Eh, are we playing the same game here? 4 Enormous sources of elemental damage along with a big ed boost (300% or over) along with 30% ias, ITD AND prevent monster heal. Are people so obsessed with BoTD that they don't see the awesome potential of the famine runeword. I would kill to get something like a famine scourge for my zealot.

7. asdfghjkl

asdfghjkl IncGamers Member

Too bad you can only make 'famine' in axes or hammers. Scourges are in the Mace class.

8. Skitril

Skitril IncGamers Member

I don't know, maybe when I think of Jah I think Enigma.

9. Diehard

Diehard IncGamers Member

I actually like this runeword. It has 3 things that I'm always looking for in a weapon: speed, accuracy, crushing blow. The runes required, while pricey, aren't obscene (compared to, say, Doom). I play hardcore ladder, and I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I won't be seeing any of the really high-end runes (e.g. jah, ber, cham).

10. Omikron8

Yes but an Enigma won't actually kill monsters for you.

11. Trance757

Trance757 IncGamers Member

openwounds = yummy

12. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Kingslayer is a good PvM weapon especially if you're a high frequency hitter, or if you're going for a CB build. I haven't formally tested but I think CB damage gets calculated into your leech. I have one of my chars walking around with clegaw's set and every few hits "boom" both his orbs get filled.

Also it looks like fun on an avenger... you can go straight auras to synergize and use the weapon for the attack... but then again... this is the barb forum.

13. iceball_aarf

iceball_aarf IncGamers Member

KingSlayer Highland Blade:

-35% total w.ias= max WW, range 3= max 6 hits.
    138.6-155.4 average dmg (72-204 up to 81-229)
    -25% Target Defense
    20% Bonus To Attack Rating
    33% Chance of Crushing Blow
    50% Chance of Open Wounds
    +1 To Vengeance
    Prevent Monster Heal
    +10 To Strength
    40% Extra Gold From Monsters

Lets add Gore Rider´s and SteelRends= 58% CB + 60%OW + 15%DS ... not the best weapon but still usable... overall i would have to agree with the original poster... the runes could be used in some better way....

14. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

Put it in a phase blade and use it on a kick assassin. Thats its best use IMO. It'd work well on a melee sorceress too with enough +all skills. Max warmth and all masteries and you could get some seriously nice damage with the +1 vengeance.

15. Malachi

Malachi Banned

If you use it on a kick assassin you may as well use some lower weapon since the weapon ED is not used in the kick calculation and a phase blade only drives up the DEX requirements. Frankly I think Kingslayer is quite disappointing. The much cheaper Crescent Moon seems a lot better to me.

It is still sad most new runewords are focussed on the super high runes and not much was added to make the lower untwinked levels more interesting.

16. Pent

Pent IncGamers Member

Kickassin would benefit from the crushing blow, open wounds, ias, PVM, +10 str, and -25%def
    which isn't bad.

btw fury isn't obsolete as it can be used in 3 socket items like assassin claws or fanged knives, the number of runes required is key
    although chaos runeword beats fury hands down for an assassin

17. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

I made a Kingslayer Phase Blade, got nearly perfect ED (268%), and still prefered an Amn'd 171% ED Lightsabre for my Conc barb (Hardcore). The LS killed faster. I'm always trying other swords and always seem to come back to good ol LS. Now this Kingslayer PB is gathing dust.

18. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

The reason to choose phase blade is the speed. You can reach 7/2 kicks quite easily with it. Plus, if you choose the runeword, you're going to need a shield, which means you need high dex for blocking, making the requirements for a phaseblade unimportant because you'll surely need more than 136 dex for keep 75% blocking.