Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Vespar, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Vespar

Vespar IncGamers Member

Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson

Now as an Mixed Martial Arts fan I follow many of the UFC fights, Pride fights, and WEC fights, but I felt the spectical that CBS put on tonight on their Elite XC MMA league was absolutely ridiculous.

I felt that largely they were making a mockery of the sport trying to fashion it to something akin to professional wrestling. Adding the music, the pyrotechnics, rappers walking people out to the ring, and such.

The Kimbo Slice win had me feeling that CBS has no intentions to attempt to help solidify MMA's position in the sport world, but rather is intent on cashing in on Kimbo Slice's internet fame.

I'd even go as far to say, if I were a more suspecting man, that the fight between Kimbo and James was rigged.

All in all a pathetic display. I was curious about what, those that care, thought about the fight and the Elite XC in general.

2. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Re: Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson

Except one is real and one is fake...

3. Vespar

Vespar IncGamers Member

If there was any legitimate way for me to actually do it....I'd actually challenge that comment. I'll agree the fights put forth in the UFC, Pride, WEC, and the WCL are real enough, but Elite XC had me wondering the whole time.

The ref of the Kimbo/James fight didn't call Kimbo out for an elbow to the back of James' head nor did he demand that Kimbo defend himself while pressed up again the cage for over a minute in the second round...which could have lead, easily, to the stoppage of the fight.

Fighter's dancing up to the ring with a bunch of hoochies around him to take his coat away certainly doesn't lend any legitmacy to the budding sport either.

4. LonghornRob

LonghornRob IncGamers Member

We watched that fight at a party, and the entire time we were making fun of Thompson's grotesque ear, guessing what he was hiding inside of it. Deadly poison? A magnet for Kimbo's grill? an extra mouthpiece? We all knew it would explode at some point in the fight, and it didn't let us down!

But seriously, what the hell was wrong with the man's ear?

5. dandanthemanman

dandanthemanman IncGamers Member

it didnt look like those elbows were doing too much to kimbo, id say one outta every 5 made a impact, and those hammerfists that thompson threw looked pretty pittiful, i thought that was a good main event .

i agree with you on the showboat art, why does busta ryhmes need to come out and do a rap??? also i noticd big black was in the first fighetrs corner..... ugh what exactly does he know about mma? haha

6. Johnny

Johnny Banned

They all lose to Chuck Norris anyway.

7. Q33

Q33 IncGamers Member

I had nightmares last night about Thompsons gigantic cauliflower ear flopping around.

8. WzWz

WzWz IncGamers Member

Does it automatically end when a fighter draws blood?

9. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

Nope. MMA fights end at the conclusion of the last round, when someone taps out, when someone gets knocked out, or when someone can no longer defend themself.

As for this specific fight, it was a joke. Kimbo was winded early on and couldn't do anything on the ground whatsoever. He's basically a slightly more powerful Tank Abbot. Any of the MMA heavyweights that do ground work would dominate him in a fight.

As for Elite XC, yeah, it's a total joke. Like Vespar said, all the pageantry and bull**** really takes away from what is an exciting and interesting sport. CBS is basically trying to ride Kimbo's fame to some extra cash and completely sell out MMA in the process. It's pretty disgusting.

10. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

General Agreement with the idea that they made a mockery of MMA found here.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-elitexctv060108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
    My Favorite Quote...
    "This wouldn’t have been so bad had there actually been a fight on the air every now and then. But after the show had been on the air for 32 minutes, there had been 61 seconds of actual fighting. When it was 70 minutes into the show, there had been just 2:12 of fighting."

11. SQUATMAN

SQUATMAN IncGamers Member

I think Clint would say "Do you feel lucky punk?".

12. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

You mean it started out as something other than a mockery?

13. Hawkreborn

Hawkreborn IncGamers Member

he has cauliflower ear
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauliflower_ear

"For some wrestlers and fighters, however, a cauliflower ear is a badge of honor"
    lol, this is definitely true in wrestling, only the best have the ear usually

when it exploded and the fluid came out he lost his equilibrium and lost the match :(

14. kavehtabriaz

kavehtabriaz IncGamers Member

i wana see weak Kimbo in a cage match with mccain