Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Killing the common cold?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dirkdig, May 3, 2005.

1. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

Killing the common cold?

I've just come down with a cold virus, and it couldn't have come at a worse time. This weekend is the biggest party weekend of the year at my school, and I really want to be able to drink ungodly amounts of alcohol. Obviously, I want to kick this thing before thursday; does anyone have any tips to "speed its progress?"

So far I'm taking vitamin C (I've been told this doesn't really work but I figure it can't hurt), I'm trying to exercise, drinking lots of water and keeeping extra hygeinic. I'm taking sudafed as well, and antihistamines at night.

Anyone know of *anything* else I can do to kill this thing early?

2. Module88

Module88 IncGamers Member

Tylenol Cold, Gatorade, and sleep. :thumbsup:

3. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Healthcare has really undergone a paradigm shift in recent years. It's shifted focus from fixing problems only after they arise to a philosophy of informing people's lifestyle decisions so that they can maintain good health and prevent many diseases before they strike.

To prevent the common cold as in your case, modern health care would advise bathing once in a while and trying to limit yourself to licking only two to three doorknobs a day.

4. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

I feel as if I'm missing something...

Anyways, I'm trying to sleep a lot but it's hard, this week a lot of professors are cramming in as much as possible b/c they know we'll be gone all next week...

5. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Seriously, 12+ hours of sleep will break that bug.

6. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

stab it in the face a lot. that and a warm shower and sleep.

remember, Vitamin C does nothing to help cure the common cold.

7. Moosashi

Moosashi IncGamers Member

I'd say the excersize, while important for general health, isn't such a good way to fight cold. When your body runs less efficiently (when you're excersizing) it doesn't fight infection as well.

And no sense in being extra hygenic at this point. It's like closing the barn door after the horse got out.

8. P2blr

P2blr IncGamers Member

Cup of Robitussen with a Nyquil chaser

9. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

The doctor is in

Take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning.

Seriously though, you should drink some fluids (preferably clear ones) to help thin out the mucus (taking a cold remedy that contains guifenesin should help, or a medicine that contains diphenhydramine...since you're taking sudafed and antihistamines, you are already ingesting the aforementioned drugs as well as pseudophendrine, which is also beneficial in fighting cold symptoms). With a cold, vitamin C helps the body recover faster from a cold but it doesn't make the cold go away any faster (vitamin C is a scavenger that helps clear all the viral junk that appears shortly after the cold virus dies...by this time, you no longer have an active infection to fight). Zinc is helpful but I wouldn't recommend you increase your intake unless you aren't taking in more vitamin C (zinc, like vitamin C, is a scavenger).

Rest is necessary following every viral infection (remember, viruses have been living in your cells and when they leave the cells, the cells are ruined and have to be destroyed...you need energy to make new ones and rest helps to speed this process along). Since you need energy to make new cells, you don't want to occupy your tissues with that nasty old alcohol (it takes energy to detoxify alcohol and you need that energy elsewhere) so you shouldn't imbibe for at least three days after your cold symptoms resolve.

Moosashi, exercise does require energy that the cells could use to restore themselves but exercise is still good for fighting off the common cold because it enhances blood flow and lymphatic drainage (this clears the viral junk faster than simply sitting in bed; obviously, you should only exercise when you feel good enough to do so). The body can afford to lose some immediate energy (that the tissues are using when exercising) because they know that with exercise, even more energy will be released (active tissue activates various metabolic pathways that leads to more energy being produced than is available at rest).

10. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Dude, alcohol is a poison, right? And the germs that cause colds are smaller than you, so what's not very poisonous to you is proportionally a lot more poisonous to them.

Sounds like a solution right there. Make those "clear fluids" vodka or gin and you'll be in business! :lol:

11. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

If alcohol affected all cells equally, then alcohol would be a good treatment for the common cold but alcohol doesn't act this way (more's the pity). Alcohol prefers cells that have lots of fats (like liver cells and fat cells) and sadly doesn't significantly affect the nasal epithelial and mucus cells (there are some fats in these cells but not enough to kill the cells or even poison them).

I suppose if you snorted the alcohol up your nose, it would have some effect (but I think the risks would outweigh the benefits).

12. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

*makes mental note to try snorting vodka the next time I get sick*

13. Chiller_babe

Chiller_babe IncGamers Member

Note to everyone here, Do NOT try and snort tequila. For one thing your eyes will feel like they are popping out of your head, your sinuses will be on fire and also next time you stand up, your sense of balance will be seriously compromised.

Chill

14. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

Well I'm pretty much drinking this weekend regardless of whether or not I'm better, but I want to be better so I don't wake up miserable on Friday morning because I'm both hungover and sick.

As for the exercising, I've always heard that it's a good idea as long as the cold hasn't retreated down into your lungs yet. Right now I've just got it in my throat, so I'm exercising to clear my nose up and to get the blood flowing.