Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Killing Nightmare Meph

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Gondolin, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Gondolin

Gondolin IncGamers Member

Killing Nightmare Meph

I have a lvl 56 CL sorcerous geared up with a bit of low lvl MF. I've got to NM Meph, and can't seem to take him down in any feasible run time, takes 20 times longer than normal meph. I static him down to about 25% health at which point it appears he doesn't lose anything at all (which I'm assuming is due to his 50 lightning resist or some static field penalty in NM?). At this point I don't have anything at all to hit him with, I've maxed CL and LM, but my other main skills, TS and Frozen Orb, are only at slv2. My NM Act2 merc dies way to often to be of much help, he does about 500 gross damage, but to get that last 25% health takes forever.

So I'm wondering if there are any tricks or methods to killing nm meph quicker with my setup? Would it be worth it just to wait until a higher lvl with a maxed TS and F Orb to run him? It just seems there should be a better way...he's not that hard, and I have a wonderfully quick nm durance map (this is SP).

2. jinntonic

jinntonic IncGamers Member

Firstly, Static only works to 25% in NM, its not because of his lightning resist. I usually take him down to 50~% only, because any more castings are much less effective. Static only works to 50% in Hell anyway, so you might as well get used to it. Secondly, I suggest you try the Moat Trick, which involves luring him to the little river of lava running between his area and the council members, then teleporting across. Run away as far as you can without taking Meph off the screen, but stay close enough so you dont lure any council members. Stay there, and spam away whatever spells you want. It's just a matter of time and mana pots before he dies.

3. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

That's because your only high level spell is CL which does not enough damage against single creatures. Which is why people often max Lightning first, instead of Mastery. It can still kill him with patience an Mana pots(CL consumes LOTS of mana). But if you're looking for a faster way to do it, then you better rebuild, maxing Lightning ahead of LM, or going for Blizzard or Meteor. For Meph, these 2 can't be beaten...

4. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

I'd highly caution against maxing TS. The numbers may look decent on paper, but they just don't cut it down the road.

I'd instead max Lightning ASAP not just as a synergy to CL, but also for single targets and tight/lined-up packs of monsters. Most pure Lightning Sorcs actually use Lightning quite a bit more often than CL. CL is best used for spread-out monsters.

5. Gondolin

Gondolin IncGamers Member

Thanks for the tips. I'm following Antilev's Chain Lighting Sorcerous Guide for my skill allocation. Its for v1.09 though, so I'm not sure if the build is severely weaker in 1.11 or if its not meant for meph runs. Seems to be built around cow runs, but it suggests TS for single monster troubles. It looked like a fun build to me, but is it still valid?

6. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

No. The only build that really remained the same from 1.09 to 1.10 was the WW Barb... maybe Necro/Druid Summoners, too. Everything else got an overhaul, some builds more so than others.

7. Are

Are IncGamers Member

For future play, it's worth noting that Static Field only works down to 50% of the monster's health in Hell difficulty (as others have mentioned, it's down to 25% in Nightmare). It's a good idea to get some other damage spell to finish the job before you move on to Hell, at least :)