Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Killing Duriel as Paladin--Help!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by gabrielop, Mar 4, 2004.

1. gabrielop

gabrielop IncGamers Member

Killing Duriel as Paladin--Help!

I have a Lvl 22 Paladin with resistances at 49, 29, 42, 24. But I have a really crappy piece of armor. Should I invest in getting my defense rating up before trying to kill Duriel (OK, let's face it, he has already killed me more times than I care to admit). He takes one whack at me, and I am nearly dead. Please advise!

2. DreamlessDude

DreamlessDude IncGamers Member

Hi there. Maybe you wanna start a new thread to introduce yourself. As for your problem, maybe you can add what kind of paladin you are. Like zealot, charger, hammerdin?

Also for me in my opinion, level 22 is in what i think too low especially so if you are a melee character. Your resist seems good for now.

3. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

Your best bet against Duriel is using a shield and going next to a wall straight when you go down. Try to keep your merc alive and then just stand still and whack him. Use potion whenever you go below 50% life.

The reason for going next to a wall is preventing him from charging you to death. This same tactic has worked for me with all character classes, so I really don't see why it couldn't work for you too.

4. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Defence really does not do much for facing Durial. You need to get your life up possible get some "reduce damage by x" items on and make sure that you have plenty of life leech. If you can land your attacks in the middle of his attacks he will be interupted so a bit of FAR will help.

5. gabrielop

Where is the best place to start a thread introducing myself--also, I am glad you brought up the thing about what kind of paladin I am---how in the world do you make those determinations? Is there a way to sub categorize yourself or is it strictly about the choices you make with your auras? Also, could you tell me anything about the paladin icon that shows up on the screen in the middle of play. Thanks!

6. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

your palidin type has to do with your skills and your setup. There are about 100 different variants of palidin.

Zeal users are Zealots
    Vengance users are avengers
    smite users are smiters
    and so on

The aura you use make a sub-class such as a lightning zealot using the holy lightning aura.

Edit: just post a thread called "intro" just like this thread

7. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

Duriel can't actually charge you to death if you're right next door whacking him with a heavy object, so you shouldn't really be having too much trouble so long as you can survive his initial charge. Being a slightly higher level might help (my characters are usually level 24 by the time Duriel rears his ugly...well, everything really).

Basically, I'd let him charge you, pop a couple of purples to get your life back up, then just bludgeon him until he dies. (Life leech will help keep you going here).

8. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

of course you must invest in a good armor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you a paladin or a vagrant ???

And you're merc ALSO need a good armor , and a good waypon

PS : and master of paladin say : at level 24, you will kill duriel

9. gabrielop

Thanks all--I realized when I went back into the game that I had made a few errors in prepping my character--first of all, my life was pretty low (way below 200), armor was ok, but certainly not great. Also, I was going in with healing potions but not with rejuv ones, so it would take a few seconds to get my health back, and well, by that point, Duriel would hit me few times and I was a goner. Thanks all for the help. I am gonna level up a few times in the canyon and then go back in and whack Duriel.

:scratch: ***Does anyone know why that Paladin icon appears on the screen? I am still trying to figure that out. It shows up just above where the crossed arrows appear if you attempt to use a bow without arrows equipped.

10. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

It should have a part that is either tanish or red. It represents items with durablity that are really low. Ie a sword with 10 out of 40 durablity might show as tanish a belt with 0 out of 12 durablity will be red. Get your items fixed at the blacksmith and it will go away.

11. LowLander

LowLander IncGamers Member

When a piece of equipment is low on durability, it shows up as yellow on this figure. When it's (almost) broken, it shows up as red. Time to repair!

Welcome, BTW.

EDIT: Too late....

12. usamahanas

usamahanas IncGamers Member

I'll sugesst that you also use some thawn potion, the little yellow ones, buy from the vendor in town some and use one every 30 seconds, this will save you against duriel, because he deals huge amount of cold damage, also try to give the potion to your merc, if it possible for you. Hope that little from me will help:)
    Wellcome to the spf :wave:

13. Nilie

Nilie IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you need a good pally guide and there are plenty available so try one out. I have a cold spec pally and had no trouble at all with Duriel, didn't even use a potion for me or my merc. I usually play on /players 5 or 8 depending on the char..used 8 with the pally so was like lvl 26 when I killed Duriel. Also as mentioned above, good armor counts for a LOT. If you're just starting out I feel your pain. I had the same problem but you'll eventually start getting some good drops. Also check the giveaway thread for things you need. I know that most of the guides call for armor you won't have, such as enigma, I still don't have it...it just takes time but you'll get there so don't get discouraged. I made a char that's easy to lvl up first and use him (fishymancer) to get good items for my other char's who are more armor dependent. He's currently in Hell Act 1 so still trying to get him lvl'd up too but getting some decent drops now. Good luck and hope to see you around here :)