Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Killing Diablo Himself?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Nassius, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Nassius

Nassius IncGamers Member

Killing Diablo Himself?

I have owned diablo 2 forever now but just recently picked it up out of boredom and am glad I did. My question is I have done pretty well all through the chapters up until Diablo himself. Im trying to find out what the reccomended level is for taking him on. It seems almost impossible now as I have tried numerous times to take him out. Im currently a level 27 Paladin with zeal most of the way. Do I need to be working on getting a higher lvl first before taking him out or should I be able to defeat him at the level I am now?

2. Dark Sword

Dark Sword Banned

Well at that lvl it would be really hard to kill him, Do you use /playersx. that will pretend that theres the number of players you typed in the game. They will have i think 4x as much life but you'll get 4x more exp. so lets say you put /players8 (just type by pressing enter) in the game the monsters will be as hard as if there were 8 players in your game. I personally when i don't rush myself wait until lvl 30-35 to take diablo down or even 38 because you will be able to use better gear.

Make an intro thread so we can know you better.

3. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

It's not unusual to be in the low 30s to take out Diablo, but I've done it with characters that were lower than your level. What is the main aura that you are using, and what is your weapon? What are your resistances? (Fire and lightning resist are the most important here.) What does the rest of your equipment look like?

4. Nassius

Nassius IncGamers Member

Pertaining to the /playersx, no I was not aware of that command. Im a little confused though. Does this actually create a henchman(s) or does it just make the enemy more difficult? Im assuming you were suggesting this for power lvling up to lvl 30-39...

5. Nassius

Nassius IncGamers Member

The resistances right now are the problem. Ive got a good armor set and weapon but they just dont have much resistance on them. I dont have any points in aura yet as im waiting till fantasia or whatever its called so my resistences are horrible at this point. Seems i need to get some lvling done before attempting again.

6. Dark Sword

Dark Sword Banned

It just makes the enemy have more life but you will get more Exp. Without /players8 i can finish act1 by lvl 9 with that command i would be at lvl 20 when i just kill andy. Like Cat i have also taken Diablo down with a lvl 26 but i needed a lot of pots and town portals and like 10 mins. Back to the /playersx command i'm not sure but i think they have 4x moe life like i said but each monster kill will give you 4x more exp then the usual if you kill the same minion.

7. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

it multiplies the monsters hitpoints and experience by x amount: /players8 is the highest you can go. If you want to quickly gain levels, I recommend you focus on random uniques and champions at higher /players settings.

8. Nassius

Nassius IncGamers Member

By the way. Does anyone know a way to increase the resolution to atleast 1024x768?

9. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

If you need to be 30 to get your aura, leveling sounds like a good plan. Unless you are going 2-handed, a 3-socket shield with a Perfect Diamond, Topaz, and Ruby will probably get your resistances high enough to withstand Diablo for a bit.

The most important thing I've learned fightning him is that if I don't have Cannot Be Frozen, I retreat when he uses his cold attack. Being chilled when he fires up the lightning can be a bit dangerous.

When I'm trying to level to 30-32, I find the temples in Upper Kurast and Kurast Causeway to be a good place to go. I'm sure others have their favorite leveling spots.

10. Nassius

Nassius IncGamers Member

:thumbsup: Thanks..Think I may head on over to the Kurast area and see what i can do about some lvls..

11. RedArchon

RedArchon IncGamers Member

As sad before, the /playersx command just simulates a mp game in the sense that the game thinks there's more people in the game thus making the monsters harder but in return you gain more experience per kill.

As for killing diablo.

1. Get more fire and lightning resists.
    2. If you're waiting on Fanaticism stick your next point in Might. You need it to get Fanat anyway and it'll give you a nice quick damage boost.
    3. Level some more.

12. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

also another trick is 2 get a wepon/rings with high life leach, with a fast enought attack speed and good life leach and bout 50 fire and light res you can just stand in his lighting attack and leeach you life strait back. also getting some crushing blow is a good idea. i think crushfang is a nice early (and not to hard to find) choice. if you use it at the start of the fight you can knock his life of very quickly then when he gets on bout 15-20% life left swich to your normal wepon to finish him. a good place to run for exp (+good gear) is mephisto and the concil members

13. Tupsi

Tupsi IncGamers Member

I remember my tesladin's first Diablo kill... My resistances were crappy, my AR was crappy, my equip was crappy, my dmg was crappy, my merc was crappy, my financial situation was crappy, what to do?
    Pick up a Jade tan to, put Charge to left mouse button, put Blessed aim on right mouse button and keep him poisoned. Killing blow after 30 minutes. Yay!

14. Peppe

Peppe IncGamers Member

For leveling you may want to hire yourself an Act 3 cold merc. I find in normal difficulty untwinked (without good gear from other chars) they can make life a breeze for any melee character.

How close are your fights with diablo? I don't believe the act bosses have any life regen, so if you do a good amount of damge before you abort in the past you may just want to make a town portal to retreat/regroup and jump back down to widdle him down.

15. Repusz

Repusz IncGamers Member

I don't know what equipment choices you have available or what exactly your character build looks like but killing normal Diablo shouldn't be too hard with any kind of characters. For melee builds, I would recommend the following:

Have 75% fire and lightning resistances. You could have as much with either of your Resist Fire / Lightning auras + equipment or purely from equipment. Both his damngerous attacks (the lightning breath and the fire river or whatever that is) deal frame based attacks, so 'magic damage reduced by x' mod rings or amulett should reduce the damage you take by 25x, by 50 if you have a magic damage reduced by 2 mod. That and decent resists should almost nullify his attacks, even though the lightning breath deals partially physical damage IIRC.

Have some sort of poison damage source / prevent monster heal gear. He has a decent blocking (75%?) and regeneration, so if you don't deal high enough damage his hit points will drain rather slowly. If you play the expansion you could make a cheap Malice runeword (Ith El Eth) in a weapon, it has 100% Open Wounds, kind of like a poison, quite strong in normal difficulty. Have a poison charm. Throw Rancid Gas potions at him, keep them on switch if you don't have Malice or good poison damage source. Keep several thawing potions in your inventory in case he uses his freezing hit. Dodge his magical attacks, run around all the time and when he runs just close the distance and hack away at him. When he raises his body indicating he is about to use the breath attack, flee, dodge, retaliate. Patience and minimal mouse using skills and the battle is all yours. You don't really need to level up anymore, picking up 10 more levels won't make that much of a difference and the time you take to level up is almost wasted since you can pick up levels 'so' much faster in act5. If you have to hit issues (while battling him, check your AR in the stats screen, it'll display your chances of hitting him), get a Blessed Aim merc or use the aura yourself if you have it. Anything below 60-65% is useless with his great blocking, you will hit him like once in 7-8 hits.

I hope my advices help you, good luck :)

16. Llathias

Llathias Banned

In addition to all the useful advice given, a source of cold damage (weapon, charms, etc) would also slow him down, making him less dangerous and more vulnerable.

By the way, which version are you playing? Do you have the expansion? And while we're at it, have you read about ATMA?

17. NeckRomancer

NeckRomancer IncGamers Member

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but IIRC Diablo has 50% chance to block (Check the Arreat Summit for his bio) even though he has no visible shield. That may account for your reduced ability to hit him with nonmagical attacks.

I have taken him down before on clvl 27 with melee characters (this was pre-1.09, before Players X was introduced) but doing it in clvl 36 (levelling really well via Players 8) makes it a whole lot easier to hit him.

From my experience, killing normal Diablo is made easier with a high AR, a high clvl and a fast attack. Maximizing your fire and lightning resistance when facing Big D also lengthens your ability to withstand his elemental attacks. My spearazon could stay through his LBOD because her Jab attack (pre-LOD) with life leech was simply so fast.

18. Day

Day IncGamers Member

Get better resistances try (as people say) to max lightning and fire.

The diamonds in a shield is a good idea.

Also look at cubing some amulets and rings if you have no gambling luck

1 Magic Ring + 1 Perfect Topaz + 1 Rejuvenation Potion = 1 Coral Ring
    Use this formula to create a Lightning Resistance Ring. The Coral Ring has a random percentage (21-30%) of Lightning Resistance. You may also receive an additional Magic Suffix. ilvl=30.

1 Magic Ring + 1 Perfect Sapphire + 1 Thawing Potion = 1 Cobalt Ring
    Use this formula to create a Cold Resistance Ring. The Cobalt Ring has a random percentage (21-30%) of Cold Resistance. You may also receive an additional Magic Suffix. ilvl=30.

6 Perfect Gems (1 of each type) + 1 Amulet (Magic) = Prismatic Amulet
    Use this formula to create an Amulet with Resistance to all. ilvl = 50. The amulet will always have the Prismatic prefix (All Resistances +16-20) and has a chance at getting a suffix as well.

Try add get some MDR - it makes huge difference to the damage you take per frame 3-5 MDR on the character really helps with the lightning hose damage.

A cheap way to get some (aside from rings) is:

Stealth 2 Socket Body Armor Tal + Eth
    Magic Damage Reduced By 3
    +6 To Dexterity
    +15 To Maximum Stamina
    Poison Resist +30%
    Regenerate Mana 15%
    25% Faster Run/Walk
    25% Faster Cast Rate
    25% Faster Hit Recovery

Also make this a Strength runeword weapon if you have no other CB. It will also make a huge difference (especially with Zeal)..

Strength 2 Socket Melee Weapons Amn + Tir
    35% Enhanced Damage
    25% Chance Of Crushing Blow
    7% Life Stolen Per Hit
    +2 To Mana After Each Kill
    +20 To Strength
    +10 To Vitality

Most importantly do not stand in the lightning hose!! As soon as it starts run and drink a potion – big red or purple (if needed) – run side ways to the hose – not along it!

Wait until it stops and then back in.

Good luck.