Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Killing Baal

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Caledon, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Caledon

Caledon IncGamers Member

Killing Baal

I cannot kill Baal. It's impossible!

I'm a lvl 38 conc sword barb, got good equipment, strength etc and no monster has posed a problem yet. Andy, Duriel, Meph, Diablo, the ancients, even Baal's minions were cake...but I simply can't make a dent in Baal! He makes a clone of himself within about 5 seconds, and then teleports around non stop and freezes me and kills all my mana, so I can't even hit him. By the time I've managed to get his life bar down maybe 2% I have to go back to town to get more potions and by that point he's healed himself. So...how the hell do I do this?

Also, reading all these walkthroughs, they all said that Baal wasn't that hard. Sure, he doesn't kill you quickly, like Diablo can with his lightning bolt thingy, but his defence is just too high and he duplicates faster than I can hit him. Oh yeah and you supposedly get tons of exp for killing the ancients? I didn't get ANY. Not a thing!

Aaaaargh frustration!

NB: playing on 1.11b

2. MazterZ

MazterZ Banned

On what difficulty are you trying to bust baal? And by defeating ancients you usually gain 1 level. Maybe you weren't in Arreat Summit at the time they were killed...

-edit.

Ok, I think you are in normal, cause lvl 38 would definetly get owned by baal minions.

I could help you kill it, if you want to go to nightmare, but you would have to wait a little.

3. Caledon

Caledon IncGamers Member

Only on normal level. Yeah, I'm a true newbie.

I think I teleported back to town pretty quickly after killing the ancients...does that mean I get no exp? Yeesh...no fair.

4. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

You will get EXP bonus only when you kill the Ancients for the first time. (It's a quest reward).
    With Baal, get some crushing blow (Strength runeword, preferably into fast weapon, Rattlecage), or at least as big weapon as you can afford, and just kill him. You might want to level yourself a little, he will be easier (you will have better chance to hit him and to defend yourself, I mostly face him after lvl 40. Also if you have the runes for Rhyme shield (Shael is quite hard to get in A5 normal, but it isn't impossible to find), make it, Cannot be frozen mod helps. If you don't have it, just get close to him, he will not knock you out with the frozen spell.
    Oh and use thawing potions - first they will unfreeze you and second, they will add 50 (IIRC) to your cold resistance.

edit: and I didn't noticed that he heals himself while I am in town, actually I get into town with weeker characters when he spawns his duplicate, if I stay there for some time (let's say 20 seconds), his duplicate is usually gone when I return...

5. Caledon

Caledon IncGamers Member

Thanks for the tips...yeah, I was gonna try to level up my exp a bit, I figured that's all I could do.

Defense isn't the issue really (apart from the freezing), all 4 resists are maxed, I did have a "cannot be frozen" sash and then I went and lost the thing...

My stats:

Conc damage= 73-138
    Conc AR= 1826

I use shout and BO, too.

I listened to the ancients dialogue when back in town afterwards, but it's strange that I missed out on the reward altogether...hmph. Bug?

edit: I think if Baal stayed still and didn't teleport, it wouldn't be such an issue. Plus the cloning doesn't help either (in my first attempt, I managed to kill the clone, not knowing that it's the original Baal that has to die). So, I take it that you only have to kill the original Baal to win? i.e not the clone as well.

6. MazterZ

MazterZ Banned

When real Baal dies, the clone poofs. Clone dies A LOT faster than real baal though, so you can kill it, to get it outta the way :cool:.

7. Caledon

Caledon IncGamers Member

Thanks all...I finally did it, yeah I was wrong - Baal doesn't heal himself if you take a TP, plus his clone disappears by the time you're back, so I guess that's the trick...when that's working, just had to persevere.

Wow...I expected a better ending movie/dialogue. Oh well on to nightmare!

8. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

He's there too you know, at the end of nightmare... :wink:
    But well done!

I play sorc and spend too much time on his clone not realising it's a clone....:sad2: