Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Keyboard needs help.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by masterazn, Oct 29, 2006.

1. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Keyboard needs help.

I recently spilled juice onto the keyboard of my Powerbook G4 15". Most keys are doing okay but a few (important too) are really sticky and hard to use.

My spacebar is hard to press and sticky, my command key is, my "c" key is, along with a bunch of other.

Now, I know you can take apart the powerbook and after removing pratically everything from the chassis, you can get the keyboard out and clean it. I don't want to do that.

Is there another safe and efficient way of cleaning sticky stuff out of a laptop keyboard? The keys do not appear to pop off and I don't know what to do.

-masterazn

2. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

um.. dump a bit of water onto the sticky keys and blow dry?

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

This isn't the official way to remove keys according to Apple(they have a tool), but hold down the bottom of the key and pull up on the top. I have done this a few times when something gets under a key.

Do this with the COMPUTER OFF, it isn't likely that you'll hurt anything if it is on, but to be safe(after all the keyboard is electric and there may still be liquid juice down there.)

4. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Wash it in cold water, three scoops of detergent. Just don't put it in with your whites.

5. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Kow, when you say bottom and top, you mean the bottom is the part facing me (user) and the top is the side closer to the screen right? Can this be done with the spacebar? and Should i use a knife of something to pop it up?

6. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Yes you got the orientation right and it can be done with the spacebar.

Don't use any tools, the things that actually attach the keys can be broken by something like that.

7. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Dude, take the battery out, unplug it, and take the thing apart. DO NOT use it until you know for certain the whole machine is bone dry. Even then, you should probably disassemble and wash the innards with distilled water so you don't leave the juice sugars all over the delicate electronics in there . . .

8. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Have you ever taken a PowerBook apart? They really aren't meant to be taken apart. . .even with an ABK.

At this point the thing is already dry and if something bad were going to happen it already would have. Most liquids do their damage within a few minutes.

Plus PB keyboards are pretty snug fitting, as long as you don't dunk the thing in water a doubt a little spill would get through the keyboard and into the system.