Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Key bindings

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Hookipa, May 14, 2016.

1. Hookipa

Hookipa IncGamers Member

Last week I had a D2 moment of insight. After playing this game for 15 years on and off I 'obviously' know about key bindings, i.e. F1 - F8.

However, in the process of continueing to level my hammerdin in CS (mid 95's now) I had a couple of frustating moments not being able to easily select the skill I wanted. So after some contemplation I figured I would like to have key bindings similar to D3.

THEN it occurred to me, D2 must have similar key configuration options... I never bothered to check.
    So I called it a moment of insight, but I could have said a Homer Simpson "d'oh" moment.

As of now my key bindings are alphabettical instead of the F-keys, and I love it!

Just wanted to share that after 15 years one can still learn something incredibly obvious to others :).

2. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

Awesome! I switched after using Assassins a lot on bnet.

asdf qwer zx jkl;

asdf are my main keys. qw are usually prebuffs/minion casts, r is always teleport, e is mind blast / telekinesis /decoy or whatever.
    jkl; are for battle orders and another prebuff if needed.
    zx are additional prebuff/minion casts, if needed.
    g is town portal, h is weapon switch. So for battle orders it is a quick h - j - k - l combination.

3. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

I am a lefty and I use the mouse in my left hand. When I changed the key bindings to the numberpad a whole new world opened for me!

krischan and coju like this.
  4. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

Well while the subject is mentioned I'll bring this up, I did a video about key bindings a little while ago, discussing why to choose specific keys and the advantages of changing, etc., if anybody is curious on the subject.

The numpad? Interesting. I would've expected using jkl; as your home keys combined with uiop (or iop[, depending on which is more comfortable) and m,./ to be more useful/comfortable. Cool that you found something that works well for you, though.

coju likes this.
  5. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Changing keys from F-keys to wasdqe... was among first things I did in d2, cuz it felt incredibly unnatural to play with F keys. If I had to stick to F keys, I probably would not play the game lol. In every single game I used alphabetical keys, and now came diablo with F keys... No ty. Give me my alphabetical keys back. Ty. Though I didn't start game 15 years ago.

6. coju

coju IncGamers Member

Q - Tomb of Town Portal
    W - (Battle Command with the other two shouts on E and R so I just run through them for prebuffs) (Bone Armor) [any pre-buffs, which I just realized I don't put Burst of Speed at for some reason, that's 'Z'... hmm.. odd...]
    E - Static Field, Clay Golum, Decoy, any castables I need/use quick that aren't main.
    R/T - extra keys I don't use much, but may (they are harder to hit for me as I use my middle and ring fingers for most of my 'upper keys) (I also use these to typically switch my LMB buttons if I'm doing that)
    A - I put lots of skills here, but nothing too important
    S - Teleport, Summon Skeleton, any 'third' main skill, Vigor Aura
    D - Corpse Explosion, Main Secondary casting (Fireball so I can hold RMB and just tap F and D)
    F - Main skill: Amplify Damage, Blizzard/Frozen Orb, Lightning Sentry, Concentration Aura
    Z - Burst of Speed (why not W, coju? idk man. Maybe I use W for certain skills. Oh, Cloak of Shadows), 'lesser skills'
    X/C - In case I need them: Curses, Auras, Crowd Controls

V - Show Items, Ctrl - Swap Weapons, Alt - run/walk, Space - close windows
    Y - Skill Tree, U - Quest Tree, I - Inventory, O - Merc Inventory, P - Party!!!
    G - Attribute screen, H - Help!
    B - Inventory

~1234 Potions. I may need to put potions on Space, but, eh...

7. Hookipa

Hookipa IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the input in your allocation of key bindings.

Nice video Mareek and may I complement you with your pleasant voice for that informative video.

8. BRKO

BRKO IncGamers Member

Thumbs up. Just curious about your accent maareek, where exactly are you from?

I have issues with my mouse. I used to have skills assigned to the side buttons of my old Logitech one. Now I have some noname rodent and the game doesn't allow to bind anything to its side buttons. No major issue but would like to know if anyone dealt with it too.

9. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

Thank you. Glad you liked it.

United States. Florida, to be specific.

10. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Yes, changing key bindings away from the F -Keys makes a big difference. For me it's (on an azerty keyboard, as that's what we use):

azer: a=town portal (although I often use tp scrolls from my belt instead), zer = utility skills or buffs
    qsdf: main skills
    wxcv: buffs, sometimes skills, only used when I need more than 7, which certainly isn't always. Starting with 'v' in that case, then 'c'; always used to buff when using CtO
    g: switch weapons
    space bar: rejuvs
    234: potions, sometimes scroll of tp on '2'
    Tab: map
    ²: belt

11. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

I've just realized that although I use alpha keybindings, each of my characters is almost always different except for a few buttons.

E is always the "RUNAWAY!!" button. Teleport, Leap Attack, Dragon Flight, Vigor etc.
    Space Bar is always Town Portal
    B is always weapon switch (probably default, dont remember)
    Top row is prebuffs starting from Q and skipping E

Leave Ctrl, Alt, Tab and Potion buttons alone

Aside from that I think each character just gets its keybingings organically. And usually this ends up very inefficient. After reading this I noticed my FO Sorc (basically my only area running character) is horribly set up. V is Frozen Orb, her main skill and E is Teleport cause reasons. Aside from this she mostly just uses Telekinesis, which is set on the convenient T button. I have Glacial Spike on left click and dont use any other skills. So jumping between E, T and V while constantly flashing Alt doesn't seem the most effective way to run areas. I think I tried rebinding them to asdf, but kept casting other random spells all the time.