Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Keeping your Diablo window up while typing a document ifra

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by fahartle, Oct 31, 2006.

1. fahartle

fahartle IncGamers Member

Keeping your Diablo window up while typing a document

Hey all, I'm getting enough mules that it's getting tough keeping track of everything. I'd like to have open my inventory spreadsheet at the same time as my Diablo window so that I can hover the mouse over an item and type it into the spreadsheet at the same time. But, as I'm sure you all know, when you click off the screen the D window automatically minimizes.

Sure, I can just write everything down on pen and paper and then transfer it to the spreadsheet, but this seems like double work to me. Is there a way to keep the D window open? Seems like I read something about "virtual machine" somewhere that would isolate the D window so you could work on something else at the same time?

2. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

It's not possible without a 3rd party program.

3. KillSwitcHR

KillSwitcHR IncGamers Member

try playin d2 in window mode(i think thats what its called). all you have to do is right click the icon, go to properties and type -w at the end of the target.

4. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

This will still minimize Diablo when you click somewhere else. AFAIK there's no way to keep it up while using something else without having multiple computers.

5. fahartle

Are those third party programs easy to use (it's not hack, is it?)? Thanks!

6. ModeratelyConfused

Not allowed to discuss it here because, well, it's a 3rd party program.

7. fahartle

Oh, sorry. I'm definitely not looking for any sort of hack or mod program. Isn't there some kind of windows addition where you can split your screen and have them more independent? I know I've read about "virtual machine" somewhere from Java, is it? I don't know anything about it, but just the quick glance in google makes it look like that's roughly along the lines of what I'm looking for. Anyone have any experience with it?

8. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Is using Word to write down what items you have considered using a third party program too then?

9. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

Yes Merick, and you should be banned. Use a pencil and paper. I'll alert the mods...:hanky:

Of course I am kidding.

There is something called virtual desktop, but I am not sure how it works. I know Macbooks have a feature where you can rotate desktops around. If they can do that, they should be able to split the screen and have separate ones running. And no, that would not be considered a third party program for playing the game.

Seems to be promising. Only read through the second paragraph, but if you can easily switch between the two it will work.

link

Well, the windows one stinks, you cannot split up the desktop and look at another and type. Plus, d2 still minimizes when you switch desktops. Might be handy for other uses, but not d2.

10. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

i take screnshots and use image viewer to scroll through them to get the stats, easy to do, just hit your hotkey assigned to "screenshot" and browse to your d2 folder and open screenshotXXX.jpg

11. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Inventory would be made simpler if the item listings located on each character (worn, pack and stash) were compiled and emailed to the respective addresses when the account was registered. Since it's only email, it's possible for a program to sort all the accounts with the same address and collect them in simple text.compressed format. One several kilobyte file emailed to each person - no passwords, no other identifying marks, just the character name, skill/stat/attribute/etc. listing and it's inventory. Then, ATMA could be adapted to easily parse the data and create automated remote inventory without ever having direct access to the network files, so no chance of keyloggers.

Think Blizzard would go for it? Think anyone here could put together a simple yet comprehensive petition? I don't, so don't look at me. I remember the last time I tried getting you chumps psyched for something like that.

Only other choice is some sort of visual text identification to be used with screenshots. Take a screenie while the program is running, the program notices a new .jpeg in the directory, opens it and recognizes the font on the picture, then writes plain text into a .txt. It's a limited concept that requires a lot of programming on the part of people here, but I don't think anyone will do that, either, especially the author of ATMA.

So, it's the hard way or no way at all. Thanks, Blizzard.

12. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Um, play on a Mac? You can toggle in and out of windowed mode with Command-M and use all sorts of other apps at the same time.

13. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

You can alt+tab in Windows too, but going back and forth is still inconvient.

14. fahartle

Thanks for the tips, guys!! Don't know why the D window has to minimize in the first place. I guess there's no chance there's a setting somewhere (ala -w) that would let Excel be transposed onto it like any other window, is there? Man, that'd be convenient.

Axe's idea sounds like a godsend, but I don't see it happening either. Barring that, the screenshot idea sounds like a good one. I might expirement with some type of virtual desktop and see if I can get it to work. Please feel free to let me know if anyone finds out anything more...

15. killian27

killian27 IncGamers Member

Use teamspeak.
    Have trusted friend read off items and stats.
    Type into excel.

:grin:

or setup your laptop right next to your desktop...

or... I remember reading in the trade forum that someone was using a client side program (that they had written) that would write a text file for them of all items on a mule... BUT, I don't remember who it was, maybe they will show up in this thread... keeping an updated inventory is such a pain.

16. WhiteAlien

WhiteAlien Banned

Buy second monitor :laugh:

17. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

even with multimon it still minimises when you switch away from d2

18. ubermoose

ubermoose IncGamers Member

If you had 2 monitors, it wouldnt need to be windowed then. Couldnt you have 1 monitor for d2, the other for excel?

Quite an expensive solution though:)

19. ModeratelyConfused

Still wouldn't work, because you would need to minimize D2 to be able to use the second monitor.

20. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

might be worth a read: thread I posted a while ago :rolleyes: