Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Keeping track of your money

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Corneo, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Keeping track of your money

Just wanted to know how the rest of you folks keep track of your finances. I use to use Quicken and download all the bank transactions. I would watch how much money I spent on eating out and buying stupid stuff. But as time dragged on I became pretty damn lazy. Nowadays I just download the spreadsheet and then save it. Does anyone else ever take the time to balance their cheque books?

2. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

Well considering I write two checks a year then the answer is no. I do use the web to look over my account every month in case there are transactions I didn't do so I can report them.

3. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

I don't write many checks, so I don't bother balancing the checkbook. I watch my account online, and make sure my statements each month are correct. And for my work I've got an excel spreadsheet that documents my clients, how much they owe, how much they've paid, how much I need to take out for taxes, date paid, running balance year-to-date, etc. I feel quite organized with it all.

4. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

I work at a bank so I have to be careful with my finances. really though, if you consolidate all your accounts into one high yield account that has free internet banking and bill pay, it really becomes worry-free. plus, the bank you consolidate into will prolly find some kinda special deal for you when you go for a loan. If oyu check your balance and statement online, you rarely need to bother balancing your check book, because you have a list of all your purchases right there on your debit card statement. If your credit cards are with the same bank, that makes it really easy. I could never go back to the old register system. I do encourage kids to learn it though. It helps them to understand how the bank works.

more important than balancing a check book though, is actually setting up a budget. You'd be amazed at how many people have no idea what they can afford. (or more commonly, cannot afford).

5. SassyChickyMomma

SassyChickyMomma IncGamers Member

well, we write LOTS of checks. we mainly use checks for all of our bills with the exception of the one that is auto drafted each month. we do not balance our checkbook instead, i print out a "list" *(for lack of better word)* that covers 3 months, i.e. January to March, and then it lists all of our recurring bills. i also leave some blank lines for any spontaneous checks we may write. as each statement/bill comes in, i write it on the list *(date due, amount due)* and then when i actually write the check out for it i go back and fill that in too. *(date sent off, and check number for that bill)* so, we can look at it each day or whatever and see what we have out at that time, what is left to go out and what we have available to spend on misc junk. *(groceries and all that)* also, i check our acct every few days via telephone or internet to see what checks are paid and still out and the ones that have gone through, i mark off the list. that is how we stay organzied and "UN-broke" or "UN-overdrawn". :D i guess in a way, that kind of acts as our budget. we rarely spend on stuff extra for stuff we WANT, it generally is stuff we NEED. *(like last week, after a tough day with the kids and a blah-blah dentist appt, I NEEDED the GRANDE MOCHA FRAPPUCCINO from STARBUCKS, hahaha....no REALLY! :p )*

6. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

As far as personnel finances I keep my money in a jar and don't spend any 20's, I stash those away (unless I need money for something that is going to cost alot).

Every other denomination I spend freely.

I'm bad with spending change though, it usually ends up in my room somewhere. Recently I throughly cleaned my room and found almost $50 in change.

7. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

Checkbook and Excel.

8. sAYwQQT

sAYwQQT IncGamers Member

I should do the same. Throw all my change somewhere in my room so I DON'T use it ;)

Ontopic: I use online-banking and check for my account to be okay before I spend anything. Too bad the numbers are red right now but I hope it will change with the next paycheck :)

9. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

*checks pockets*

Ah man, i'm missing a penny.

*crawls around on the floor*

10. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

When I go to the bank for deposits, I ask them for my balance. My financial position today, however, is much different than was I was a younger man.

In the past, I kept balances on my checking accounts

11. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

Man...Either I am anal retentive or just way poorer than you guys.

I have monthly budget, a system of checking/saving accounts to organize and save for different things, etc. I balance my checkbook every time I write a check or use the card and 5 days before the 1st of each month I review my expenses and bills, check on my investments, and plan for the next month.

I don't use cash much, 90%+ is debit card or check, but when I do use cash I only use full dollars. All the change I toss into an old koolaid jar every so often I give it to a kid.

Garbad

12. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

I.O.U.'s..