Keeping Pindleskin's portal open

Baal

Diabloii.Net Member
Keeping Pindleskin's portal open

ok - so in normal i was fine - the portal stayed open and i can still go in it

but i did something different that i'm not aware of in nightmare - because it's closed and i can't run him

i've actually deleted my character - so it doesn't matter now (i have a character just going into hell)...

but i'm wondering what action closes it...

in normal i did all the mission and i did them in nightmare too... i took the portal and killed pindleskin... then found nihilthak or whatever and killed him - then did the ancients, then baal... i did nothing different - but for some reason in nightmare it closed me off - so i couldn't run him - or use it for my army (it's a great place to raise an army in 5 seconds without having to kill anything)

Kaelin

Diabloii.Net Member
If you get the waypoint (I think you have to kill Nihlathak too, not sure) then it closes, just don't get the waypoint and it stays open.

Regards,
Kaelin

Baal

Diabloii.Net Member
ah - i assume you mean the waypoint in that halls where i'm looking for the nihlathak guy? guess i'll have to not open that one next time then - thanks.

Alien

Diabloii.Net Member
If im not mistaken, you have to kill nihlathak and get the waypoint in order for the portal to close, but I'm not sure about that...

edit: diction...

if you open up the halls of pain WP, the red protal will close. for pindle running, do not open up the halls of pain wp, dont even click on it. youll onyl go there once, to kill nihtalek (ill never spell it right). no-one ever runs him, so dont bother with the wp.

Cauthon

Diabloii.Net Member
My experience has been that the red portal to Pindleskin's garden only closes if you have both gotten the Halls waypoint and killed Nihli. I've experimented a few times, and doing one does not seem to be sufficient; it needs to be both.

GAH YOU'RE ALL WRONG!!!

The portal stays open only if you have not gotten the waypoint, killing Nilly has no effect on it. I've done this with all my chars that MFed at some point (yes, I go after hell Nilly every time.)

edit: so maybe Cauthon isn't wrong, I don't know as I've never not killed Nihlathak.

JamesMartigo

Diabloii.Net Member
I always get the HoP WP, and I never kill Nihlatak, and the portal always stays open. When I just started LoD, I grabbed the WP, killed Nihlatak, and the portal closed. So I concur that you at least have to kill Nihlatak to destroy the portal.

whomhead

Diabloii.Net Member
TrenShadow said:
Portal closes when BOTH Nihlathak has been killed AND the waypoint has been activated.
yes, this is true. you CAN kill nihlathak if you DON'T get the halls of pain waypoint... or vice versa.

pesot

Diabloii.Net Member
JamesMartigo said:
I always get the HoP WP, and I never kill Nihlatak, and the portal always stays open. When I just started LoD, I grabbed the WP, killed Nihlatak, and the portal closed. So I concur that you at least have to kill Nihlatak to destroy the portal.
what? killing nihlathak is the best thing to do back in 1.09 (hell). it always get my adrenaline pumping. especially when in a heartbeat you char is dead from a CE like half screen away. call me weird, but i like the shock :yep: .

the portal will close when you have another way of going down to nihlathak. if you opened the wp and saved the game without killing nihlathak, by the next game the portal will close. i've tried this in 1.09(normal). actually i didn't try it, my pc crashed a few minutes after opening the wp but the quick save has kicked in.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
You can't not possibly lose the ability to not leave the portal unopened unless you don't fail to not leave Nilathak in a non-alive state and also not refrain from not touching the portal that is not the one in non-Halls of Pain locations.

pesot

Diabloii.Net Member
DurfBarian said:
You can't not possibly lose the ability to not leave the portal unopened unless you don't fail to not leave Nilathak in a non-alive state and also not refrain from not touching the portal that is not the one in non-Halls of Pain locations.
what the heck you talkin' about druf? :scratch: stop messin' with my brain. :rant:

Araknis

Diabloii.Net Member
:scratch: ... :bonk: nope...still don't get it

pesot said:
what? killing nihlathak is the best thing to do back in 1.09 (hell). it always get my adrenaline pumping. especially when in a heartbeat you char is dead from a CE like half screen away. call me weird, but i like the shock
OK...you're weird.

DMPI_Masher

Diabloii.Net Member
Ouch Durf...That hurt. A lot!!! I'm going to have to take a long break now. I'll be back in a couple hours and try to forget what I just read. :lol:

nemar

Diabloii.Net Member
and if you don't kill nila and don't open the wp, the red tp will be still here.

BBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTT

if you don't speak before to ania, the tp will be not opened.

:flip:

chaos

Diablo: IncGamers Member
I'd try to find a flaw in the logic, but you lost me at 'you'. That's right, the first one. :teeth: